Thursday, August 16, 2012

Remote Shutter Device

I was surprised last weekend when I set up for some night photography to learn that my remote shutter device for my old Canon Rebel DSLR didn't fit my Canon 5D... not even close! So I ordered a new one on Amazon and it came in the mail yesterday. I mainly use the remote for night photography when the camera is in "bulb" setting and I need to expose for over 30 seconds... To minimize camera shake you might otherwise introduce when pushing down to take a picture. So here's a second surprise... the remote shutter release I got in the mail yesterday is a lot more sophisticated than my old device! It's programmable for delay, exposure time, length of time between exposures, and total number of exposures. Cool, eh? So to try it out, I put my camera on a tripod in the backyard, set the delay so the first photo would be taken at about 8 PM (just after sunset), set the interval for about every 40 minutes, set the F stop on 14, ISO on 100, and exposure for 2 minutes and 15 seconds. Why these settings, you ask? A totally wild-ass guess. Not a lot of science or logic behind it! I don't have any view from my back yard, so basically just pointed the camera up toward the sky. I used the side of the house (on the left) as a reference point. A boring photo, but I would at least know by the next day if the programmable remote was working!
8 PM
8:40 PM
9:20 PM
10 PM
So what did I learn? Well...
1. The sky color changes dramatically as clouds move in and out of the frame. And long exposure shots of moving clouds look crummy, because it's just a blur!
2. Two minute 15 second exposure (along with the other camera settings) was too short. I had to increase the exposure in Photoshop.  Next time, I may try a 5 minute exposure.
3. Be careful about leaving your camera outside all night long. I had a panic attack this morning until I saw my camera was still in the back yard right where I left it!
4. You can use Picasa or similar software to put your series of photos into a movie format.  I've never tried this before, but it's pretty easy and I like the way it turned out. Click on this link to check it out. Kind of a time-lapse photography effect.

So what's next?  Now that I know it works, I want to use my wide angle lens out in the desert for some big, open night skies. A series of day shots would be fun too. Stay tuned!!


Linking to Skywatch Friday. Click on the link to check out 
great skies from around the world!

27 comments:

  1. Beautiful images. You have a great lens to capture the fantastic view of the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have guts to leave your camera outside all night! I like the last two shots a lot. The color is amazing. I've been wanting to try long exposure photography. I'll have to check out that remote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb captures, dramatic, colorful skies! What a great job! Thanks for sharing! Happy SWF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to your new series! These are great as well, the colors are amazing.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos and that is the very best way to see how new things work,just try them out! Panic attack in the AM about the camera and it being just fine sounds like something I would do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic colour in those shots. Perhaps some day when I have more time I can figure out how to take night shots and get the equipment I need ;-) Happy SWF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there - what a great set of pictures - I think I may have to find out if I can do a similar thing!

    I also dont think that the clouds look crummy!

    Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a nice addition to your camera. The sky and colors look beautiful. Great captures. Happy skywatching and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The night sky seems to be quite mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love how your experiment turned out! (Sometimes it's the wild-ass guesses that yield the best results, lol) Your photos are terrific and your time-lapse YouTube video was well worth the visit! I admire your photographic adventurousness, and though I love my little Kodak EasyShare, I look forward to the day I get a "grown-up" camera and can learn how to do fun stuff like you do. :-) Thanks for sharing all the great results - your pictures and your new-found knowledge - with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting. I think the blurry cloud effect was nice. I love experimenting with cameras and photos to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great experiment! I would never sleep with my camera outside all night. Our humidity wouldn't allow it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice effect! And a lot you could do with the timer function (say a flower opening). To get the meteors, I think you will need to leave the shutter open for 30 minutes or so, with immediate repeats of opening.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool, I have a remote trigger for my camera to avoid the shake on long exposures but mine isn't programmable. I like the results!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - fabulous shots! And I'm so jealous of your 5D!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My favourite is the 9:20 capture! I like the stars and the colours of the clouds!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've got one of those. I've been experimenting with time lapse with it. I set it to take a picture every 2 to 4 seconds and then give them to hubby who puts them into a video editing program. Unfortunately, you can only set the device to take 99 shots (at least that is the way mine is) so I have to be ready to restart it.
    We have just started on the project, we both need to perfect the technique before we are ready to share.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are utterly amazing, my friend. Thanks for sharing the how-to!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous colors in the sky! I really like that time-lapse photography effect.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think these turned out great for a first try! The sky is very changeable.
    I couldn't leave my camera out all night as our weather is very humid and it would be too risky. I'd love to be able to take time lapse shots. I don't own a remote shutter device and I am still struggling to understand the whole shutter/exposure setting. I tried this for a sunset the other night and didn't come home with much at all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looking forward to see what you get with your night shots. I think these photos are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great shots. I love what you did by experimenting with your camera and the time exposure. Really neat. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful pictures enhancing a pretty routine scene. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That a great try ! I love the video you attached too.

    ReplyDelete