Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Summer Rain

Well, not really. Wishful thinking on my part. The sprinklers went off in the backyard the other morning, and the sun was hitting my wife's milkweed plants (they attract butterflies, which we've had in numbers all summer long) in a way that caught my eye. I used a slower shutter speed and 200mm telephoto lens to get blur and turn the sprinkler drops into "lines".
200mm, f/9, 1/50 sec., ISO 100
I did something in PhotoShop to make the image below... more contrast and a green background, but can't recall exactly how I did it! Oh well, not important.
Looking back now, I wish I would have taken a couple shots with a fast shutter speed to "freeze" the drops in mid-air. Would have made for an interesting comparison! Happy Wednesday, hope your week is going well, and thanks for stopping by!

Wordless Wednesday

12 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful effect captured expertly. It would be interesting to see the outcome of different shutter speeds but, presuming we have some more sunny days, it's an easy enough experiment to repeat on another day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice images, 200mm lens does com in handy sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I still thinking okay a beautiful rain in the desert as we have these days a lot in front of our house but no a sprinkler. Still very nice captured here. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice effect, never stop experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You captured a great effect. I too am always wishing I had done something different after the fact. I like the first photo best. I wonder how it would look in black and white?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow stunning pictures. I'm so glad you stopped by. It made me revisit your blog and I'm so glad I did - I love the Heading picture. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful effect. Reminds me that I should experiment with my camera more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You captured the sprinkler effect perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice stunning effects on the images!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great effect with the slow shutter speed! I would have loved to see the fast shutter comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You'll have to do the fast shutter another time. Love the graphical lines in these shots. What a fun exercise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, it looks like rain. I wish it would here.
    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete