Thursday, January 29, 2015

A Walk Around the Neighborhood

Here's a quick tour of some of the homestead cabins within a half mile of our house in 29 Palms. There are actually a couple I missed, but this will give you a flavor of the little desert cabins in my neighborhood.
This little pink brick cabin is owned by our neighbors directly behind us. Neighbor Bob is in his early 90's and uses this house mainly for storage (the main house is just to the right of this photo). He keeps an eye on our place when we're not there, and maintains our local sandy roads so they don't get too badly rutted. A super guy! The cabin has been well maintained over the years and is in very good condition. Great location, too!

This little homestead is in the best location possible... The property line along the back side of the parcel is the fence for Joshua Tree National Park! This photo doesn't do it justice. A better angle would show the beautiful "Wonderland of Rocks" in JTNP directly to the south. It's currently owned and well maintained, although not being lived in. Too bad, you could rent this out on weekends for quite a bit!

Well, no cabin in this photo. I just like the look of this old, mangled yucca plant I came across during my walk!

This red brick homestead cabin is directly across from my neighbor above me. It's been abandoned for a long time. Too bad, it's got great potential with awesome views and very close to the JTNP border. Do I sound like a realtor??

Just to the west of the above cabin, this one is nestled in the rocks in a beautiful location with great views. I'm afraid it's likely too far gone to rebuild. Also, no water or electricity, so it would be very expensive to rehab.

My last photo of the night. Fortunately I had my tripod for this one-second exposure taken well after sunset. This little homestead is just below (north) of the above cabin. The owners have totally rebuilt it but have kept all the original walls and dimensions. It still looks just like the original. Nestled in the rocks with great views, close to the Park, and no close neighbors... I'm jealous!

Hope you enjoyed my little tour of the desert cabins in my neighborhood. I was fortunate to enjoy a beautiful sunset as I was hiking around taking these photos, so linking with Skywatch Friday. Click on the link to check out great skies from around the world. Thanks for stopping by!!

21 comments:

  1. The colors in the sky are stunningly beautiful. Cute cottages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually surprised to see that the cabins are of brick. Seems like they'd be really hot in the summer. Nonetheless, they actually seem to blend into the topography. Engaging presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very different from what it looks like here but beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dream homes! I love that isolation, the grand open space and endless skies. Maybe, someday. I know there are hundreds more places out there like these. I hope you do another post of your "neighborhood". Wonderful photos too. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They say that location is everything and these shots prove it. The desert landscape is stunning, just a shame that some of these cabins look so unloved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much beauty! You live in a majestic place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome photo's, I think I need to go to you for some tips, not been happy with some of mine of late

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, not only that skies look amazing but the whole view and the place you've captured is wonderful. All photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great colors and landscapes again. We all live in really different worlds and still its the same one. Wonderful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great photoes!1Reminds me of the cowboy films that is to bee seen:))Ahh I wish i could live there for a time!Wish you the best and say that old man he has got a very nice spot to live:))

    ReplyDelete
  11. You certainly live in an intriguing neighborhood. I'd have a camera with me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It would nice to live so close to the park.. I love the sunset shots and the pretty yucca plant.. Great post, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness...looks like desert paradise to me. Those sky shots are amazing!
    JM, IL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I admire you your choice, and your photo talent. Thanks for sharing


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. SOLD! lol This looks like the perfect area for a get-away. Love these little cabins. The orange/blue/yellow skies are simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you were a Realtor, you would have sold me! I spent a lot of time in that area when I was a kid. Two of my granny's sisters had cabins there. I can't remember the exact location though. Fantastic photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We were very nearly as fascinated with the desert cabins as we were with thePark. It is such a unique area of this wonderful world! We will never forget our stays there. And your skies of course are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - a gorgeous set of shots!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi S P & P, I had no idea there were little cabins like this near 29 Palms. I will have to check them out for a possible destination vacation. I live in a highrise in downtown Seattle. We have a couple of highrollers in the building (sadly, I'm not one of them) ... they spend their winters in or somewhere around 29 Palms. The sky color in those last couple of photos ... Wow! I can see why folks love it there! Thanks, as always, for sharing. John

    ReplyDelete