Hmmm... there's a hole in my box!
Knowing that the wood guitar body I'd purchaed on e-bay was inside this box, I quickly figured the hole in the box could be a problem!! Well, here's the body:
Sure enough: A Ding!!
Long story short, it wasn't insured so I'm out of luck. However, I have to give a shout out to the e-bay guy (Dave at DGB-Guitar)... he offered to give me a full refund, compensate me with parts, etc. He did a great packing job, and none of this was his fault. Really great, honest guy who I will do business with in the future.
Since I got since a good price on the body, I've elected not to return it. I sanded the sharp edges and loose paint off the ding. So, change of plans #1: I'm now going for that "retro" look of a guitar that's seen a lot of action! If anyone asks, I'll let them know somebody threw a beer mug and hit the guitar during a brawl when I was playing at a bar out in 29 Palms!
On To The Project (Get to the point already!!)...
Carefully removing the "innerds":
Out with the old!
Change of plans #2: Although the neck pick-up fit in the cavity of the Tele Affinity, it's too wide to fit in the new neck cavity!! I cut the black pick guard specifically to fit this pick-up, and it's a great sounding pick-up. I'm bummed I won't be able to use the pick up, or the black pick guard, but I'm not getting the router out!!
Guess I'll go with the white pick guard!
So, checking my spare parts "drawer", I have an old white Tele pick guard off the first Tele I ever bought (American Standard sunburst I still play). I also have a Semour Duncan neck pickup in the spare parts drawer. If I'm not happy with either of these, I can always change them out later. Stay tuned for my next post. I need to replace the plate-style jack with a cup jack (on order). Looks like everything else should fit. May be this project isn't so bad after all!