Thursday, January 31, 2013

Huntington Beach Pier

We hadn't been to the beach in a while, but I've been following the tides with a goal of finding a good low tide right around sunset. Why?  When the tides out, the Huntington Beach pier area becomes very flat with just a thin sheet of water, great for reflections. On Monday of this week everything lined up... -0.5' low tide around 4:30 PM. Packed up the camera and tripod, and off we went!
30 Second exposure, f /22, ISO 100, 35mm focal length
The above shot was taken well before sunset, but I used a Neutral Density filter which gives it a darker look. I like the way the water goes "soft", almost smokey (the clouds do the same) with the long exposure time.
I wasn't alone... lots of photographers out for the spectacle!
The thin sheet of water was like a mirror, reflecting everything!
Looks good even in b&w!

Linking to Skywatch Friday. Click on the link 
to check out great skies from around the world!!

33 comments:

  1. The first and last are my favorites! Great photography!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wow wow! Love that long exposure shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spectacular. Looks like you were amongst good company. Being in the right place at the right time, by design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fantastic photos! The colors and reflections are gorgeous! A beautiful spot to watch the sunrise. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What incredible entries these are, all of them really splendid~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures..all of them. The second is my favorite.You are a great photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures..all of them. The second is my favorite.You are a great photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots. I like them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I'll say everything lined up! That first photo looks other-worldly, and the last one truly took my breath away - its already exceptional drama heightened, no doubt, by its appearance after the B&W photo. I always love all your experimenting, and your eye for the unusual and the beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, wow, and more wow! I'm super impressed with your long exposure images. This makes me want to get out and try it. Thanks so much for the inspiration and settings info!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful shots! Love the first one. Happy SkyWatching!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your research really paid dividends. Like that header photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your photos are BREATHTAKING! Fantastic! :-) coming by from SKYWATCH

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful shots. Love the reflections in the first one. Have great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! All are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very beautiful. I love the photo in your header.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm looking at all of your photos and thinking "I'm not worthy" (Wayne's World reference) :)
    Wow... Brilliant, beautiful shots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that perspective. It feels so expansive and the sunset is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very perceptive on the reflections. I noticed on our last trip to Carlsbad, CA that the thin sheet of water on the sand during the day made for great reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The reflections are stunning. That is one gorgeous pier.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Many beautiful and creative views of a single area. Well done! The 3rd picture is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such stunningly gorgeous shots.....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous! I always enjoy your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. All I can say is...gorgeous. Anyone who trundles out to the beach with a camera and tripod is my kind of person! Looks like you had a terrific evening.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are absolutely stunning! We went there a couple of years ago on our way home from Disneyland.

    ReplyDelete