Thursday, May 8, 2014

Desert Smoketree (Psorothamnus spinosus)

I think this is a case of you have to learn to like them. First appearances are deceiving! They grow on you over a long period of time and after many hikes and drives across the desert. The desert Smoketree has a very limited distribution... the desert washes of southeastern CA, southwest AZ, and a little stretch of Baja California on the Sea of Cortez side of the peninsula. If you see one in it's natural environment, then you know you are in a wash! One can guess about how they came by their name. Perhaps their smokey color, almost devoid of the typical greens seen in most plants, with mostly grays and dusty yellows that imitate a cloud of smoke. Not very flattering, but they remind me of those scary adds about how your lungs will look if you smoke. They often look dead, and you might wonder how anything can grow in the loose sands of a desert wash that typically go many months and sometimes years without a drop of rain. But when there is rain, it can be torrential and flooding. The desert wash, probably one of the most inhospitable environments in the world.


For more Smoketree images, click on the link: Desert Smoketree. But be careful, they might start to grow on you!

Hope you enjoyed these classic desert shots along with the clear blue skies. Linking with Skywatch Friday. Click on the link to check out great skies from around the world. And thanks to our Skywatch Friday hosts Yogi, Sylvia and Sandy!

33 comments:

  1. Wonderful tour! Thanks

    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral

    =^..^= <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely rugged scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did enjoy these shots, beautiful sky, it's nice to see plants growing in their natural environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are amazing. Whenever I have had the opportunity to travel to that area I fall in love with it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. they are beautiful. i've never seen one in real life, i suppose i have to go to the desert to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! This is new to me.
    I wish to see one in real though. Great post for the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great landscape and plants. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to see... and those blue blue skies :D)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are truly very special trees in an impressive landscape.
    Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your never too old to learn somthing new. Thanks for that

    ReplyDelete
  11. I learned something new today. Great shots. I really miss the desert. I hated them as a kid. But what do kids know?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a contrasting environment compared to those I see in the east! But, that last shot with sun coming through the tree almost looks like snow on the branch tips ~ really cool picture!

    Feel free to visit Curious as a Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look very different, but have their own beauty! So pretty against the blue sky!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing, what adaptation can bring forth. Your photos of this interesting tree are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting...I would have thought it was a dead tree. I love the desert!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting...I would have thought it was a dead tree. I love the desert!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a dramatic environment and you photographed it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh I love the desert through your lens. Great images as always Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't need time to let them grow on me, it was love at first sight! "Smoketree" - what a pretty and perfectly apt name for them. They sound like extremophiles, being able to live and grow in such a seemingly inhospitable place. And I like how they are tricksters, playing o'possum as they do. ;-) That third photo is my favorite - just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful shots of the beautiful Smoke trees ~ Happy Weekend ~ xoxo

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have never heard of these trees before. That last shot is exquisite! Really makes me want to schedule a trip there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some lovely shots!!! Interesting "trees"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. There is a mystical enchantment in this lovely tree. Fascinating perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is a cool looking tree! The last shot is my favorite. Great shots! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an amazing tree - I don't know how it survives. And I love your star photos a couple of posts below.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That last shot's a classic.

    Sometimes it really is remarkable where a tree can grow - like anywhere in central Australia!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete