Monday, September 5, 2016

On Safari!

San Diego Zoo Safari Park, that is! We took our granddaughter, and she really enjoyed it. Photography was really secondary, and I debated lugging around my DSLR vs. just using my iPhone. I ended up taking the DSLR and glad I did, as there were some great photo opportunities.

The Safari Park is huge. Employees are quick to point out that it's NOT a zoo (animals are in habitats on lots of acreage vs. in cages). It requires a lot of walking, so rather than try to see it all in one really long day, we spent two 5-hour days, which worked well. It's a great experience and I give it a "thumbs up" recommendation!
You don't realize how HUGE lions are until you get up close and personal with one. I couldn't get over the size of their feet!!
"Cheetah Encounter" is an opportunity to watch the worlds fastest land animal get up to top speed chasing a rabbit skin. This was shot at 1/400th second shutter speed and is still a bit blurry!

This is what you see walking the "Tiger Trail" section of Safari Park.
A different perspective. I never realized tigers have these distinctive white marks on the back of their ears... almost like they have eyes in the back of their heads!
 This pelican was preening and posing, so I obliged by taking his pic!
Bookends?
Looks like the mom is having a little chat with her young son. I wonder what words of wisdom she is sharing??
Off he goes!
Despite all these wonderful opportunities to see animals in a natural setting, my granddaughter said she liked the little water park area the best!
"Lorikeet Landing" at Safari Park. It's well worth paying a few dollars to buy the food. The lorikeets are fearless and will be your new best friends!
A favorite shot... my wife and granddaughter playing with their new feathered friends! Well, at least until the food runs out.

Thanks for stopping by!
Linking with Mersad's Through My Lens.

24 comments:

  1. particularly liked the mother and son gorillas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures.This place sounds like it would be a wonderful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you took the "big" camera. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! It was just like you were on safari. And too funny that she liked the waterpark best. Kids are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great shots there, just like being on safari. So typical of little ones to like the water park best; I'm told that my brother and I once spent all one Christmas morning playing with the box that had contained our presents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super safari shots! Looks like a fantastic wild life park! Last time I visited the zoo, the lion was growling & the whole place reverberated with the sound! It was an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great park to wander round

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these....altho the Tiger is my all time favorite large cat, that cheetah image in 'action' is outstanding!!

    I can see why your favorite photo is of your wife and granddaughter. [hope your wife's knee is okay]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, great shots of the animals. It is a great zoo to visit. I love the last shot of your wife and granddaughter feeding the Lorikeets. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, great photos! I know I would enjoy a place like this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Nice collection of beautiful photos. Nice shutter chance to take a Cheetah photo! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Nice collection of beautiful photos. Nice shutter chance to take a Cheetah photo! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice collection of a lovely trip. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't like zoos. Safari parks are much better. I really like those cat pictures. No surprise there, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent shots! Interesting about the markings on the tiger's ears. Something I never knew before!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was quite an adventure, and you obtained excellent images. I have never visited the San Diego (Zoo) but know what a wonderful place it is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I fell in love with the Zoo's Wild Animal Park--- it opened not long before I moved to San Diego in 1977. I did not know they changed its name. I moved away a couple of years later. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You always reward visits here with the best photos that come from your mine & eye, not merely skill. Thanks for the pleasure and instruction you share

    ReplyDelete
  19. San Diego Zoo.... I was there only once but I would go anytime to this place. You captured fantastic moments! It's such a pleasure to look at these animals and birds. Splendid and very rare pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great zoo pictures! My camera is simpler than a DSLR but it is still better zooming things in at places like the zoo than my phone is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fun adventure and perfect for granddaughter time! We have a Wildlife Safari near here in Oregon, but almost all viewing is from your car. It's fascinating that this one lets you walk. Beautiful portraits of the inhabitants.

    ReplyDelete