Thursday, January 12, 2017

Desert Cabins & Wild Skies!

We were out in the Joshua Tree area last weekend and were treated to some really beautiful and dramatic skies. This big dark cloud caught my eye and got me out of the house with my camera and tripod.
As is common with sunsets, the sky was changing quickly. I hurried up our road to a couple of little homestead cabins that I haven't photographed in a while, fingers crossed that I didn't lose the drama going on in the sky!


This little brick homestead cabin hasn't been used in years. It's probably in pretty bad shape inside. The composition roof litters the ground, and I'm sure it has significant water damage. It's in an amazing location, very close to the property line of Joshua Tree National Park, with a beautiful view. I keep waiting for the "For Sale" sign to go up!!


Right next door is this little pink stucco cabin. It doesn't get much use either, but it's in better shape. Incredible sky, don't you think?!! Back in the day, you could get 5 acres for free if you "improved" the property you were homesteading by adding a house or cabin. That's why you see these little box cabins all over the place out here!

Linking with Skywatch Friday.
Click on the link to check out great skies from around the world, and thanks for stopping by!!

32 comments:

  1. You do get the most interesting shots of the most interesting subjects! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a classic, spectacular desert sky. I love those little cabins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sky shots are superb and quite dramatic. I do like that pink cabin. I can only imagine how peaceful it must be there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pics made more interesting by the little cabins. Up in Idaho at a ranch that a family member has that their great greats homesteaded in the day the original "improvement" is still there. A cabin about four foot high.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What cute little cabins. Wow those sunsets are spectacular. Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fiery skies...so beautifully shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent photography! Mother Nature was showing off for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning and very atmospheric captures here - thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clap. Clapping. Still clapping. Oh my, this is an unusual image. Well done. Have a nice week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nearly impossible beautiful. Very nice shots again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, it is a fantastic sky. Great captures! Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning, if I had one of those cabins I'd be spending as much time as I could there just to see the sunsets. Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing and stunnig skies, peter, the colors and structures are truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My friends bought a homestead cabin in Indio Hills...1 tiny bedroom, 1 tiny bathroom, but it was 5 acres. It is made out of cement blocks.

    Are these two cabins on the road which is to the eastern entrance of Joshua Tree national park? There are a couple of cabins that look like those up there. I'll have to go back sometime and check on them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Beautiful!
    Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! Those are some spectacular sunsets! And snatching up one of those cabins wouldn't be a bad idea either!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such incredible beauty in those sunsets. Awesome shots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice work! looks like the sky is on fire!

    ReplyDelete
  19. so much drama and beauty in that sky. So lovely and the little cabin is a good contrast :) Even if it is unused :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. We will never forget our surprise at seeing those little desert box-cabins the first time we came to JT.... and there are some on the low desert too, near Salton Sea area if I remember correctly. We looked up and learned about how the land was free for a while..... Anyway. Both cabins make lovely contrast with the drop dead gorgeous skies ...... really adds interest -- I learn so much about photography from your site always (don't know if I'm ever smart enough to put it into practice, but there is always the chance that something will stick in my aging brain.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is beautiful to see the sky with good color:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Very fantastic! I enjoyed your photos very much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous photos! I'm glad you hurried outside to take them...

    ReplyDelete