Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Oil Field Property #2

So, this post continues where I left off last week. Basically, walking around taking pictures on private oil field property that's been abandoned for many years and that I have no business walking around on! I'm usually a rule follower, but I have been known to break the rules for a good cause 😉.

A pretty sky over wild mustard.

OK, that's it for the wild mustard shots, I promise!!

 I'm not much of a plant guy. I should be, since I have my undergraduate degree in biology and took a handful of botany classes, but the names just don't seem to stay put in my brain. Anyway, posting some plant shots today because there were some really pretty blooms on the oil property. These were all taken using my telephoto lens, which, surprisingly, takes great flower shots.

 Leaves of three, right?? Pretty sure this is poison oak. The bush was huge... probably 12' high and 15' wide, with many bushes this size in the area. I kept my distance.

 I have no clue what this, or the flower below, is. The flower above with the white blooms wasn't as common as the orange flowers below, which was all over the place.



The prickly pear cactus were really putting on a show.


  
Had I taken the photo below at night, the flower would have been open. Jimson weed is a powerful hallucinogen and has been used as a "vision-producer" by the ancients (and the not so ancient!). However, it can be fatally toxic in only slightly higher doses than those used as an hallucinogen.
Datura (aka Jimsonweed, aka Devin's Trumpet). 

Really nice of this little guy to hold still so I could take his picture. Is it just me, or does he look a little bit grumpy??
Thanks for stopping by!!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.
Click on the link to check out great skies from around the world!!

41 comments:

  1. These are great. I like long lens for flowers--- the compression is often good, and the bokeh helps set the flowers (or hummingbirds) apart. Beautiful work. The third image, and the first cactus image are my faves, but all are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures. I love flowers and they are a good photo subjects they don't fly or run away.Yes,the little Hummer does look a tad unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really awesome sky! I miss all the wild mustard growing in California. We get a little in SW Washington, but not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice how nature still can repair spoiled places by human hands. Wonderful photo's again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you break a rule now and then. Enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
  6. As prickly pear is not native to my part of the world, I especially enjoyed seeing your wonderful photos & the grumpy bird was a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always like visiting your blog for the superb photos and this and the last blog showed some wonderful shots, the close ups are wonderful. Love the grumpy bird in the last one. Never though of taking my telephoto on a walk like that

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cactus flower photos are real winners! Great job with the macro!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love! what sort of bird is that though?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Breaking the rules for a photo shoot is a good cause, and these are stunning photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marvelous sky shot and wonderful macro floral shots ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a Happy Weekend ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome.Love all pics.
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely wildflower pics, especially the ones on the cacti. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Cactus plant may be very prickly and thorny but it produces the most colorful and beautiful flowers! And that sky shot? Wow! The cloud formation reminds me of horses running free!

    Greetings from the Philippines!

    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so loved your wildflower shots, and I'm sorry I'm no good at wildflowers west of the Rockies. Or, east of the Rockies, for that matter. But the orange one is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty sky shot, I love the flowers especially the cactus blooms! Cool capture of the hummer!

    Have a happy day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your landscape, I thought they were incredible. But now so do your flower photos too. Incredible!

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful shots! I think that little guy in the last photo looks like he just woke up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some nice photo and thanks for sharing them. We don't have cactus in North Idaho.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - stunning shots. I'm glad you broke the rules - it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. H! There are many beautiful flower photos. I enjoyed them very much. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. a good cause it was! :-) taking those wonderful photos. my fave would be the cactus - I don't have chance to see one in nature very often.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sometimes you have to break the rules to get what you want. Fantastic photos as always and the little bird does look like he's not happy. Were you late for his photo session... :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So many pretty flowers in that old oilfield.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great photos! You have captured beautifully the pretty flowers, some of which are new to me. I love the cactus flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice! I am glad that I am not the only one that can't identify too many plants but still appreciate them. I have experimented with using my longer lens for flowers and it works out well.
    Too bad they can't use that tract as a park.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the variety of plants and flowers this week. You definitely spotted all the beauty around you on your trespass adventure. Well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Now I'm hungry for a prickly pear, lol. Very cool plant and extremely interesting about the jimsonweed. You know it looks kind of alluring.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I never tried taking close up flowers photos with my zoom lens--I will have to try that! They came out beautiful. The orange flowers are daylilies. Loved the cactus flowers and the datura.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great series of photos! Beautiful flowers

    ReplyDelete
  31. So beautiful. I love that grumpy little bird :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Really nice photos Pete!
    As to the poison oak; Leaves of Three, Let it Be...

    ReplyDelete