Thursday, January 11, 2018

Old Road Hike (the Hike Home)

You may recall that I left things up in the air last week (Old Road Hike). It was another beautiful blue sky day in Joshua Tree National Park, and I was about half way through my exploratory hike of the "Old Road" area. 
I climbed out of the wash and this (above) was my view to the north (the direction I needed to go). My options were to continue exploring unknown (to me) territory or to backtrack. Since I hate backtracking and I still had almost 2 hours of daylight left, I continued north, hoping to go past the large rock formation and then make my way east (behind those rocks) back to the Old Road area.

This joshua tree seemed to be telling me to "keep left!" (which I did).

As I followed the path pointed out by the joshua tree, I quickly came across this stone cairn. Actually more of a mound. The stone cairns I see are typically very small and are used as trail markers. This one is a real mystery. Someone put a lot of work into it, and it looked to be old (or at least not recent). I wonder what significance it has? Another Joshua Tree mystery!!



Time to move on. As I made my way around the back side of the rock formation and started heading east, things started getting interesting and I had a sense of total solitude and of hiking in an area that sees very little human traffic.





This thin, flat disc-shaped rock formation was weird and intriguing!

Desert weed, late afternoon light
Recently split rock (sharp edges)
  
Long ago split rock (smooth edges)

Couldn't resist a bit of PhotoShop fun!

Small window rock

"Bottle Opener" rock? Would the name have anything to do with the hike being nearly complete, and looking forward to a cold beverage?

Around the corner from Bottle Opener rock is Lizard Head rock.

Profile Rock


As the sun sets behind the rocks in Joshua Tree, my hike comes to an end. Thanks for joining me on this interesting adventure!

Linking with Skywatch Friday.
Click on the link to check out great skies from around the world.
Thanks for stopping by!!

44 comments:

  1. Loving your Joshua Tree photos The smoking rock is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures! It's better to quit smoking, it can get stone? Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. every post, the same thing goes through my head...I so wish I could join you on a hike out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A magnificent landscape. I'd love to see the Joshua Tree area someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I enjoyed this hike. Pretty blue sky. Funny edited smoking photo. I like the last sun flare capture. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful shots and beautiful blue skies too, lol on the smoking shot. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was such a great hike with so many fantastic shaped rocks!
    Not forgetting the amazing blue desert skies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful you really did find some stunning places in the park and the skys are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how the rocks are all different shapes - funny to see the cigarette hanging out of one of them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous rock formations and excellent photos and fun with photoshop!

    Happy Weekend to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really look forward to reading about your adventures. Your love of the desert really comes through in your posts and of course your sense of humor and love of exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The place looks rugged and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You sure got the interesting rocks down there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The variety of different rock formations you find always amazes me. And why would anyone go to the trouble of building a cairn in such an isolated spot?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I had visited these places when I lived in Southern California! Beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These rock formations are incredible.
    Wonderful series.. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fascinating rocks against that incredible blue sky - my journeys with you are always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Peter, Your dessert shots are amazing as usual! I love rocks so I would really like to see it out there. Your Photo Shop fun cracked a smile on my face. :D Profile Rock is pretty cool. It makes me think of the Old Man of the Mountain in New Hampshire. We were fortunate to see it in 1989 but since that time it broke away. :( I love the last photo with the sun star pattern shining through the rocks! I love it when I can get pix with the sun shooting off in different directions! I hope the new year is treating you well. This is the first time to join SWF in a long while. Hopefully, I can get back into the groove of things. TTFN!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have captured the amazing uniqueness of the rock formations and your labels reveal your amusing sense of observation.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahah! Your photoshop fun is just great.
    And the sunset behind the rocks deserves!

    ReplyDelete
  21. you and your photo journeys live in my imagination. Thank You for showing

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL - love your smoking rock. Your shots are just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous! Those rocks have a real presence. And you made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A fantastic photogenic journey. The profile rock is incredible, the rocks have their own identity.
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Like the art of stacking rocks - Ive also seen it from some artists in Southern California. Oh, I don't even know how to do that in Photoshop. Did you use layers. or ...?
    Anyways, have a great weekend and thank you for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  26. amazing rock formations. you made me smile again- this time with a cigarette. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WoW a smoking rock face. Unbelievable finds . I like all the pic's here.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A fascinating series, wonderful desert pics !

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous photos Pete! Some amazing rock formations.
    You are making me jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love hiking through the rocks with you on this post. Amazing rock formations. I think Lizard Rock looks more like Turtle Rock to me! Your post makes me miss Arizona - I grew up in Douglas, and lived in Tucson and Prescott as well.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Other-worldly rock formations. A wondrous walk!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a great looking walk - a real pleasure to get off the beaten track. Chances for doing that are a bit limited here!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  33. you never fails to surprice me. The cigarette? Well, one needs some fun.
    What always amaze me is how well this land and colors go with the color of the skies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fun during the walk and after in photoshop! You have given those formations great names! It was good of the Joshua Tree to point you in the right direction )).... and I do seriously wonder about that gigantic cairn. thanks for taking me along on a hike I wouldn't be able to make any longer, even if we were lucky enough to be in JT sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Although I am familiar with desert landscapes, this hike is in such sharp contrast to Montana that I found my mouth kept dropping open. Isn't the Earth a miraculous place? Your Photo Shop was fun - smoking man looks like he has a mustache!

    ReplyDelete
  36. A fantastic desert well captured in a beautiful warm colors

    ReplyDelete
  37. Loved completing the hike with you. Those weathering of these rocks and the shapes they make is just fantastic. One day I would like to visit Joshua Tree Park myself - it is a landscape which pulls you in.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful pictures. Picture with cigarette makes me laugh. Weed in the afternoon light is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete