Thursday, May 3, 2018

Chasing the Moon

How often do you go looking for a particular shot, only to come away with something completely different? Sometimes better, oftentimes not as good as you were hoping. I guess the point is, as photographers, we have to stay flexible and look for opportunities as they present themselves.

This last Saturday there was a nearly full moon with a scheduled moonrise at about 6:30PM on a compass heading of 97 degrees. In my minds eye I could picture a big, beautiful moon very low on the horizon rising over Highway 62 as it makes its way east in the vast open desert east of 29 Palms. It would be one of those hauntingly beautiful desert shots.

Well, it didn't quite turn out according to plan. Not even close. As I drove east, I couldn't find the perfect spot. So I drove further east. And further east. I finally ended up all the way out in the Scorpius Arch area before I said enough is enough and parked the Jeep. Still no sign of the moon, so what the heck, let's go take a look at the arch in the late afternoon sunlight. I've only hiked to Scorpius Arch once before (here).

About halfway to the Arch, the moon finally showed its face. The winds from the past couple days had made the sky hazy, so the moon was not visible until it was higher on the horizon. So much for my huge-moon-sitting-on-the-highway plans!

One of the Topaz Studio filters


Whoa... wait a second! Look at all those beautiful nooks and crannies in the rocks! Why didn't I notice this area last time I hiked to Scorpius Arch?? This photo is just a placeholder to remind me of a future exploratory hike.

The view north toward the Sheephole Valley Wilderness.

Thar she blows... Scorpius Arch!!
May be my best shot of the night... moonrise as viewed through Scorpius Arch. Not the shot I had originally planned, but I'll take it!!


I climbed around on the rocks to view the arch from a different perspective and was rewarded with this shot of the setting sun through the arch!

Driving home, I spotted the moon rising over these mountains (not sure of the name, or if they even have a name). I couldn't resist stopping for a  quick shot. As I set up my tripod, I had two bats flickering around me. Very strange, and they came in quite close to where I could almost touch them. There was no chance of getting a photo with my telephoto lens because of their quick, jerky moves. So here's a cell phone shot. The black splotch is one of my little bat friends!

The photo above is actually close to the shot I originally set out to capture. I needed some Photoshop help on this one because I'm traveling west and the moon is actually behind me! Anyway, this is a composite of two photos from the evening, and what the moonrise over Highway 62 would have looked like had it been visible. Best laid plans!!


Linking with Skywatch Friday.
Click on the link to check out great skies from around the world.
Thanks for stopping by!!

49 comments:

  1. Beautiful composite---- Should be a famous LP cover! seriously-- more fine quality pictures here. I'm always glad to see your stuff pop up on my fav list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!Awesome captures.You definitely went moon chasing :)

    Greetings from Sydney and have a lovely day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your line of reasoning..."what it would have looked like IF..." I can relate to that. You did get some beautiful moon shots, just not as planned. Sometimes the universe does that to us. And the bats made me laugh.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...wonderful, but the last one is special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos and I do love the moon thru the arch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha, you are right - we have to stay flexible!that composite shot is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I guess the point is, as photographers, we have to stay flexible and look for opportunities as they present themselves."

    You nailed it sir :-). Loved the last composite. Hope rattlesnakes did not bother this time

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got some great shots, even if it wasn't quite what you had planned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous shots! I love the moon framed in the arch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I think they turned out great and I like the first one most but what a beautiful place you visited

    ReplyDelete
  11. "You can't always get what you want..." as Mr Jagger famously had it. I don't think I've ever got pictures that I planned beforehand. I especially like the shots of sun and moon framed by the arch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful shots again. The arch has the quality of a gigantic eyehole from a historic skelet. The moon could be the pupil of a ghost animal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous pictures, it looks like being on the moon, I suppose because so far I haven't been there !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every one of these photos are amazing! My two favorites are the moon in Scorpius Arch and over the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been there (not to that park). I'm always surprised what photos stink and which ones shine.

    I have a severe favorite today. #9 grabbed me and shook me. :]

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've only recently become a "chaser" of that perfect shot so know the feeling of disappointment but if I go with the flow I usually end of with something amazing. Excellent shots and story especially the arch frame and the composite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful as always. You found some great things. I enjoyed each photo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done! I particularly like the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you need to rewrite that old saying about best-laid plans...yours don’t go astray, they go higher and better and more beautiful. Both moonrise and sunset through that amazing arch are incredible. Couldn’t be any better.... look forward to your further exploration of this area!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love what the camera sees that we don't at first like your nooks and crannies. The moon shot angles through the opening..nice. Thanks for visiting Pictorial Tuesday. Would love to have you link up your photography each week starting on Tuesdays whenever you can.

    Peabea from Peabea Scribbles

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, those photos of the moon rising and the sun setting through Scorpius Arch are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent and interesting shots. One looks like nostrils just right to poke around in--LOL
    Mt. Baker closed their ski area just a week or so ago with still an almost record amount of snow. Still 70 inches at the base
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  24. The moon is nice, buy my favourite is the setting sun through the arch. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great day! And I couldn't agree more with your opening paragraph. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are all fantastic shots. Not only beautiful scenery but also very artistic framing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Even if you didn't do the composite, your description of the shot you wanted was enough for me to see it in my mind's eye. That Photoshop composite is pretty cool, I'll grant you that. All your photos are awesome. So much fun you had!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous! The landscape is spectacular and I love how you photographed it with the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, these are fabulous captures!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Flexibility is the key to a lot of life. Enjoying these photos that are brightening my day - all of them were wonderful, as always. Planning is overrated!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful photos. Thanks for taking the rest of us along on your quest, and thanks for the visit to my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, what a great set of photos you got. They are all great. You are so adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Creative captures and you did get the moonshots too!

    Happy Weekend,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fantastic, beautiful, stunning. Seriously, a superb selection of photos. The last one is my favorite but I love them all.
    Till next week, have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  35. You got some cool shots, even though they weren't what you were hoping for. The Arch is nice. And the moon and sun make it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  36. They may not have been what you had envisioned, but you still got some great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Chasing the moon was worth it both for you and for us. Loved the photos of both the moon and the sun setting through the arch and looking forward to when you take us exploring those nooks and crannys. I am really impressed by your photo editing to give us the shot that you wanted to give us all along.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your moon chasing is very successful! The shots are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  39. chasing the moon :) Cool! Still I tihnk you got some pretty shots.

    My header? Yapp, it is new.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wonderful shots of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  41. You're very lucky you get a clear shot of the moon there, whenever I try it's always too cloudy.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Speechless! And that's a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Ah, plans and mother nature - she does not always cooperate. But the images are great anyway.

    cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love this little photographic adventure. You got some great shots even if you didn't get exactly what you wanted. I know how that feels. It happens to me all the time.

    ReplyDelete