Thursday, May 28, 2020

Nolina Land

I'm no botanist, but I do know a Nolina when I see one. There are multiple species of Nolina, but the dominant one in Joshua Tree National Park is Nolina bigelovii. Especially when flowering, few plants can match the large showy flower stalks and the way they capture the late afternoon light. To my eye, Nolina kind of resemble a Mojave Yucca (see below).
Both the Yucca (above) and Nolina (below) have long leaves that end in a point. But Nolina leaves are longer, more slender, and more flexible. I learned long ago during my desert hikes that there is a key difference: If you accidentally walk into Yucca leaves, the stiff strong leaves have the potential to result in a serious injury. Blood will be spilled. Not so much with Nolina, since the leaves will flex. Not the recommended way to determine one from the other!
While the Yucca have white flowers, they don't have the huge spikes that protrude upward like the Nolina. The Nolina flower spikes can easily reach 4' or longer. Very impressive!

On my most recent hike (last week), I was in search of a pictograph site. I actually had approximate coordinates for the pictos, so I was confident I would find them. 5.8 miles later, with an elevation gain of 938 feet, I was unsuccessful. I double-checked. I even triple checked all around the rocks, behind the rocks, under the rocks. Nada. Ziltch. Doesn't mean they're not there. Just means I couldn't find them. But there's no such thing as a bad hike in Joshua Tree, so that's why you're seeing photos of Nolina today and not Native American rock art.

Part of my hiking track from my GPS device. The path of a totally lost person wandering without purpose and with a touch of heat stroke? Perhaps, but see that big blob of tracks in the middle? That's where the pictos are supposed to be!

This Nolina flower stalk had drooped down and was blocking the trail. I nick-named him the "toll gate" Nolina!

This Indian Paintbrush certainly draws attention. The red flowers really jumped out!

Beavertail cactus
The flower spikes on this Nolina had a pink or purplish tint. Kind of odd.

The real story of the Nolina flower spikes is how they catch the light when the sun is low on the horizon.


Beautiful, wouldn't you agree? I was lost in thought as I was wondering and taking photos. You can imagine my surprise when I noticed someone standing a ways off on the faint trail I had been following. He was a fellow photographer, and the only person I had seen during my entire hike. We commented on the beauty of the Nolina flowers and then went our separate ways. A couple days later I noticed a photo on Facebook of Nolina flowers that looked like it was taken in the same area as my hike. Turns out the photo was taken by the same person I saw on the trail! Also turns out that, although we have (had) never met, we are friends on Facebook and I admire his photography! Lastly, it turns out he took a picture of me out wandering with the Nolina. It's a small world after all!!
Photo by Mike Stillman. Thanks, Mike, and nice to meet you!

Linking with Skywatch Friday.
Thanks for stopping by, and stay safe out there!!

47 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    This is wonderful in all sorts of ways!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the last photo puts the size of them in perspective showing they are big, there is beauty in the desert. Nice beard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard of the Nolina before. After you described it, I can see it looks different from the Yucca, but I would have never known. I will find out if we have it in our desert here. And how fun to meet up with a fellow photographer in the middle of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. blooms are so striking in the desert landscape

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful desert scenery, and gorgeous blue skies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time Ive heard and saw Nolina and its so beautiful! Reminds me of Agaves. i really want an Agave plant on my garden, hopefully wen its safe to go out Ill look for one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...I was in the nursery business for 50 years, but sure isn't any help when it comes to the plants that you have. Thanks for taking my on this 5.8 mile hike, I couldn't have made it by myself! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing more beautiful than the desert in springtime. I've never heard of Nolina before, but we have plenty of yucca here in the high desert of Colorado. Not nearly as beautiful of a setting though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pictographs might have been hiding but you still got some great photos. I really love the one of you that Mike took - you could frame that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a bit of a cacti/succulent fan, I have them in pots outside but the yucca is something different and unusual especially with it's long flower that flows out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry you were unable to locate the pictographs. Sigh. But, at least you had something to photograph. The plants and flowers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such unusual beauty there. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful the two of you met. I had never heard of the Nolina, but I bet I don't forget it. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the education. I love to try to learn but I will forget most of it tomorrow, BUT I do like to try. I always enjoy your photography and makes me wish I had paid more attention in my younger years.
    Always neat stuff here.
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
  15. How very cool to meet up with not only another photographer but a FB friend. Small world as 'they' say.
    Cool plant the Nolina. I do like the way it glows in the late sun.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Quite impressed by the desert beauties. Fantastic captures sir

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are some seriously impressive flower stalks. Pity that the pictographs were so elusive.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely--- I didn't know Indian Paintbrush occurred down there. It's such a wonderful flower.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks a bit like "mr Livingstone I presume" but the photo's are incredible as always. I like them much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, sorry you missed seeing the pictographs. The cactus blooms are beautiful to see. I love the Nolina blooms and the Beavertail Cactus. The Indian Paintbrush is always a favorite to see. Your facebook friend took a nice photo of you with the Nolina. Great post and photos. Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful ending. We don't always find what we want, but we find what we need...or something like that. As a flower lover, I certainly enjoyed this post full of flowers I will never see where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your gps track looks like some of mine when I am geocaching and just can't quite locate it. Rocks will play havoc with gps receivers and it looks like you had lots of rocks.
    I love your attitude though. The hike was worth it.
    By now I have a lot of fb "friends" that I have never met and sometimes wonder how and when did that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your nickname for the tollway Nolina....LOL. It is a small world. Glad you had a face-to-face with a FACEBOOK friend. I am so happy that you are out and about doing your adventures. And, sharing your experiences and knowledge with us not familiar with the areas.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Each time I see them in one of your posts, I'm amzed by the ceauty and the colors of the flowers in the desert. Espaially those Nolina flowers are wonderful.
    What a nice way to meet a Facebook friend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a happy accident - so nice you met someone from blogland! When living in Holland, we had a yucca inside. I knew they could bloom, but in cool Holland it never did. Was amazed when I saw how big these flower spikes can become when driving from LA to Sacramento.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely captures all especially of the Nolina flowers against the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful photos!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I do find desert flowers very beautiful. It looks like you had such a long hike while you were looking for pictographs. I'm not sure I could walk that far or carry enough water to stay hydrated so I'll just enjoy your photos. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fascinating! Such interesting flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My gracious what a photographers paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very interesting views of the desert flowers...amazing. Such a new environment to me.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Pretty desert flowers. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Another series of wonderful desert pics !
    Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Another wonderful photo series of the gorgeous desert florals ~ all very pretty ~ love the Nolina captured in the sun and what a great photo of you hiking with the Nolina surrounding you ~

    Be Safe, Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great shots of a impressive landscape . . . and the sky is always blue !

    ReplyDelete
  36. These are beautiful desert flowers. They remind me of the Silverswords in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kayni. Yes, I've seen photos of the Hawaiian Silverswords. Very similar in appearance.

      Delete
  37. I was so surprised how full of life desert can be.

    ReplyDelete
  38. The GPS trail map made me laugh SPP, you really did do a thorough search for the pictographs site 😀 Better luck next time. The last shot with yourself and the Nolina plants is excellent for perspective, they are quite tall aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm back and will try to check in often. Thanks for the botany lesson. Now I know a nolina!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Is a nolina a type of agave? It kind of looks like it, I love the huge flowers though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think so. I think they are both in the "yucca" family.

      Delete
  41. I learned things while enjoying your take on the beauty. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Fun to meet a virtual friend ! I didn’t know the name Nolena for those pretty spiky plants , though I remember seeing them (I understand that there’s an app for that...of course there is!). But it is more fun to learn by virtual hiking with you! Lovely photos and I certainly believe there’s no bad hike in Joshua Tree. (Although I did read that it was rather overrun on first reopening ... I hope that didn’t include ruining anything you had planned.).

    ReplyDelete
  43. You take us on such wonderful hikes. The sun and yucca picture is my favourit. - Margy

    ReplyDelete