Thursday, March 18, 2021

Majestic Wash

Majestic Wash... kind of a hokey name, but it works for me. When I first came upon my favorite arch in Joshua Tree National Park (Majestic Arch), I was following this wash. Ever since then, I think of this wash as "Majestic Wash". I was looking for a new place to hike, and after closely checking out Google Earth, I could see this same wash headed W/SW and climbed some rocky foothills into what looked like a valley, surrounded on all sides by rocky peaks. Perfect!! I love exploring new areas. Lets go check it out.

Desert Smoke Tree under a cloudy sky. Just prior to this hike, I had upgraded my old iPhone 6 to an iPhone 12, so many of these photos were taken using my new phone.

It turned out to be a perfect day to be out exploring, and the wash I was following was a nice one. As usual for this part of Joshua Tree, I wouldn't see another human being all day. Not even any footprints in the wash I was following (sharp-eyed observers might notice footprints in the photo above, which are mine). 

*** Disturbing Photo Alert ***
You may want to skip past this one...
Not sure I should have posted this photo of a rabbit I came across in the wash. It seemed like a recent kill, and I couldn't imagine what kind of predator would eat just the head and leave the rest. Certainly not a coyote, fox or bobcat, which would eat the entire rabbit. I Googled it and found out it was likely an owl. They are known to swoop in and eat the head right off small animals like rabbits. That was news to me. One theory is that it can be difficult for the owl to fly away with such a large catch. I also learned that indigestible parts (bone, fur) are later regurgitated as a round "pellet" (vs. being pooped out). I've seen their pellets many times, but was never sure what they were. OK, enough about the gross biology of owls, and sorry if I offended anyone. Moving on...
 
Big rock being held up by little rock.

As I followed the wash, I noticed what I assumed to be two shallow alcoves up in the rocks. The one on the left looks steep and difficult to access, but I decided to check out the one on the right. The opening had a deep shadow so no way of knowing how far it penetrated into the rocks. Likely a dead end, but let's go see...
 
This entry wasn't exactly spacious!
 
Imagine my surprise when I ducked inside and found this! Wow, not a shallow alcove at all, but a cave. The other "alcove opening" was actually a second opening into this large, spacious cave. What a cool find!
 
Heck, with a little tidying up, you could live in this place!
 
Let's continue on our hike and check out a little more desert scenery...



 
Just me and my shadow out enjoying this hike!

 
A very large alcove (taken with my 400mm lens)

Yet another large alcove and, on the right, an arch. These will have to wait for another time to explore, although I have my doubts about being able to get to them. Who knows, perhaps that alcove has never been explored. 

My favorite arch find of the hike.


I wonder if there's any way to climb up to this unusual rock formation??


I came to an area where the ground was littered with thousands of beautiful rose quarts. A rock-lovers paradise!
 
Was it just my imagination, or was this dude with a hat watching me??

Definitely being watched!

When the rock formations start watching me, that's usually a signal that I should start heading back! This had been a recent favorite hike. I love exploring new areas and finding new arches, alcoves, etc. 
 
On the hike back to my car, I said hello and goodbye to my old friend, Majestic Arch. I've climbed up there three times now. I haven't posted photos from my most recent visit, but I will be in the weeks ahead.
 


Thanks for joining me on this adventure!
Stay safe & stay healthy.
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

52 comments:

  1. your sky collection today is wonderful - I'll skip over the dead rabbit, ok? I always enjoy the skies and rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...once again you have outdone yourself. I've always live in green areas with abundant rain, but your parched landscapes have a special beauty. Thanks for taking my along again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cool rocks! I love the new cave!
    About the rabbit. I sometimes come across a dead animal, always take photos, and then, most of the time, hide the photos, thinking nobody would want to see that. But there are some of us out there. I was interested in learning about how the owls eat the head and leave the rest. I would assume the rest of the carcass would be left for the next carnivore that happens by; a free lunch. Thanks for posting that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always amaze me with your willingness to climb into rattlesnake dens. Going to start calling you Indiana Jones.
    Amazing photographs again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the photos except the dead animal. Should have given a big gap between the warning and the photo. I scrolled and it was all there :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Each week you loose me for words on what to say about the photo's you take in the park. You made a good upgrade with the iPhone 12, I hope you got the pro version, that is what I should have done instead of the 8plus I have now

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always photograph nature's crime scenes too. I love bones, and pick up cool ones. My husband and I are going shed hunting next weekend. Beautiful arches and washes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's quite the change from the iPhone 6 to a newer model. It was a learning curve for me when I upgraded last year (a couple months before the shutdown). You do find the cool caves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. Yes, a big jump from the 6 to the 12. My old phone wasn't able to run some of the apps I wanted to use, which was too bad. Other than that, I was perfectly happy with the old iPhone 6!

      Delete
  9. Wow! ~ What a hike with gorgeous photos of rock formations, caves ~ that 'liveable cave' was amazing after the small entrance ~ I find iphones ~ the recent ones do take awesome photos ~ which showed here ~ Happy Weekend to you ~

    Living moment by moment,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ps. I felt sad for the jack rabbit ~ but it is the way of nature ~ good googling info

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for these wonderful reminders of what's out there, and showing it to us. Many advice might well never see it, and certainly never have the relationship with it we have through you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the adventure. It's been a really long time since I've visited any place a stunning. - I'll have to check back to see where else you'll take all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The landscapes make up for the dead rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another beautiful post, Amazing skies, rocks.
    Have a nice weekend. Stay Safe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pictures are always so amazing and fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! majestic hike and fabulous pictures again. The desert beauty comes alive with your post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such beautiful skies, rocks, niches and even a large cave! I also find rose quartz often among our Colorado foothill rocks. I never knew that fact about owls eating only the head of a rabbit when they can't carry off the animal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will simply echo all of the above comments!

    ReplyDelete
  19. #19 is my fav. Whutta balancing act. Defying gravity. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beeindruckende Landschaft und wieder tolle Fotos. Danke das ich auf der Wanderung bildlich dabei sein konnte!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello,
    What a great hike, the arches and the neat cave are my favorites. Beautiful sky captures.
    Those eyes are creepy, they are watching you! Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another interesting expedition with amazing photos. You never know about those tiny alcoves - they can sure surprise you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A wonderful hike again under beautiful skies.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The beauty of the desert again but if you get the feeling that you are watched bij stony eyes then you must retread indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful captures of the skies, rocks and arches. Interesting info about the eating habits of the owl.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the OWL lesson. I would never have thought it. Man you post so many wonderful shots. I become a boy again and enjoy making animals and objects out of the many formations. I want to climb into the cave like areas. Love it.
    Thanks we enjoy the hike.
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
  27. That top photo is beautifully composed! (Well, all your photos are striking, but that one particularly struck me.) That's fascinating about the owl. I'm sure something will come along and make sure the rabbit doesn't go to waste. I smiled at the faces your found. All those alcove/cave/arch features would make for interesting exploration. The climbs, though... I'll need to make my visits virtual :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. No, the dead rabbit photo didn't gross me out although it might have "in person". My late best childhood friend, who was a 4th grade teacher in New York City, purchased (hope this isn't too gross for you) sterilized owl pellets and she and her students would dissect them. Said it was fascinating what you might find in them. You can buy them on various places online. I enjoyed your iPhone 12 pictures. The iPhone 12 mini is calling me, but so far, I'm sticking with my going on five year old iPhone SE first edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's pretty cool. Even without dissecting, I can tell there are some relatively large bone fragments in those pellets. Probably large enough to tell what the owl is eating, which is a great learning experience.

      Delete
  29. The "dude with the hat" is fun! I found a headless raptor in my yard one morning. I couldn't imagine what could eat the head of a big bird of prey, and was told it was an owl. All the more reason to keep my cats indoors! And if I had a small dog, which I don't, and never expect to.

    ReplyDelete
  30. On one of my cycling adventures last year I came across the carcass deer that I think may have been hit by a car. I took a photo just to document its location along the bike trail.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great exploration an magnificant pictures. The caves are very impressive. Must be great to make a photo safari in this place.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dearest Peter,
    Excellent photos you shot with your iPhone and both of us are very impressed with the results off iPhones or iPads.
    Why feel apologetic about nature's cause? Nobody will apologize for their latest meal, eating a steak or whatever?!
    We found once a rather large male duck on our wooden walkway, its breast eaten out... Guess our resident owl did that too.
    That cave was a cool discovery and you're brave for going by yourself. What if you fall or twist an ankle...?
    Thanks for sharing and sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great photos as always. Never knew that owls ate their prey like that. Love the cave! Take care and have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Envious about your new phone captures, but wow, if the lens is so sharp why should you take a heavy camera with you! Am grossed out about the dead animal, but not offended. You're not the one who killed, lol. Yeah, I could live in that cave too, provided some other cave dwellers were close enough to visit, haha. Have a good one, Jesh

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful photos. I learned something about owls today. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful blue sky and interesting rock formations from your hike. If I were there, I will probably have the feeling that something is watching me. I feel bad for the rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Not only the landscape but also the sky was nice to see that day.
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Gorgeous photos ! This is exactly the kind of landscape I love, wild and rocky ! I love owls didn't know either that they eat rapid's heads, love rabbits too, that's nature ! My cat eats mice too and they are also cute !

    ReplyDelete
  39. Another great series, wonderful desert pics !
    I learn to appreciate the desert...

    ReplyDelete
  40. It’s wonderful out there ... intriguing how the rock formations are so elegant against the beautiful blue sky, instead of seeming barren and stark, which might be what most people would first think of if you said “Rocky landscape.” Loved this hike!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Yes, That Dude Is Watching Us - Dig That Cave / Crawl Space - Such A Cool Location - Enjoy The Family Time

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  42. Such fascinating formations...and even the rabbit, kinda interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Beautiful rock formations and landscape! Looks like you found a great new place. The cave was a very cool find! I'm never offended by nature.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love all the interesting rock formations that you find. Many years ago when I used to lead groups of walkers in various parts of the UK, I always carried an owl pellet with me. If the walk was getting dull with nothing of note to see, I'd pretend I'd just picked up the owl pellet and I'd explain what it was. Never failed to excite some interest! Don't tell anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Enjoyed this post so much SPP. Love seeing the views from inside the caves and soooo glad I don't have to actually go into the caves to see them, I just couldn't 😱 Once again superb images of this other worldly landscape! When the rock formations start looking at you it's time to leave, so funny 💜

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is so beautiful. I especially love the big rock being held by the small one. Very enjoyable hike.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh yes!!! The dude was watching you... : )
    Your new phone takes great pictures.
    It was a pleasure to join you on this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great series. Exploring new places is wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete