Thursday, July 22, 2021

Searching for Rock Art

 This particular site is one that's been on my list for quite a while. It's not hard to get to, and I'll attempt to keep it anonymous by throwing in a few photos that have nothing to do with the rock art location. You know the drill!
The location information I had was approximate as well as vague. It sounded like any rock art in the area would be challenging to find and possibly spread out over a relatively large area. So let's go take a look and see if we can find anything!
A gorgeous day to be searching for rock art!

This is one of those areas that felt "friendly" and "welcoming". I know, that sounds strange, but I don't know how else to explain it. I was hiking alone, so human interaction had nothing to do with my feelings. But something here made me feel happy and positive. Likewise, I've been in areas that make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Bad vibes. Something bad must have happened in the past, and I'm anxious to move on. How do these feelings get transmitted? That' a big mystery, but when hiking alone in remote areas, the feelings can be very strong. This place had good juju.
 
 
Finding a pottery sherd is a good sign that there may be other artifacts in the area.
 
After some searching, I found this interesting petroglyph. It reminds me of a spreadsheet!
 
Close to spreadsheet petroglyph is a second petroglyph. This one reminds me of a cluster of grapes. I don't mean to make light of these petroglyphs. They were likely very significant, perhaps even sacred, to the Native Americans that made them.
 
Not too far away I found a third petroglyph.
It's a rake or comb design, which is a fairly common petroglyph (and also pictograph). This one is notable for its prominent location high up on a boulder, as if shouting out "look at me!" Again, the exact meaning of these petroglyphs has been lost to time.
 
I searched high and low through the areas boulders, but found nothing else. I've seen photos of additional rock art reported to be in this area, but try as I might, I couldn't find it. That's OK. I felt fortunate to find what I did, and I couldn't ask for a better day for a hike!
 
I'll leave you with a handful of my favorite photos from this hike. The skies turned out to be very dramatic, and that always enhances the desert landscape.
 



 
Thanks for stopping by, and Happy Trails!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

42 comments:

  1. ...fabulous my friend. The blue skies and clouds are gorgeous and the sub rays are out of this world. I just read that over on Maui that an area with petroglyph was used as a target range for paintball idiots! Thanks for taking me along again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Native American Ute tribe that lived in my part of Colorado had definite places they would not go, usually if there had been a large loss of life from a prior conflict, so maybe that was what you were feeling? The petroglyphs you saw were very interesting! I am amazed the elements have not worn them away. WE have petroglyphs on some red rocks near our foothills but the area is remote in a descending rock canyon that is full of rattlesnakes--a big deterrent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good and interesting hike. The sun going behind the rock really did it for me they were stunning

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Peter,
    You indeed managed to make dramatic photos with those skies!
    Glad you found lots of interesting things to capture.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful contrast between sky and landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like it was a lovely hike. At least you found some petroglyphs. Amazing that one was out in the open like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really are a courageous man! Hiking alone... : ) You took beautiful pictures, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those rays of light @ #11&12. Tripod and smallest possible aperature? Lil bit of lens flare but not too much. After all you´re aiming strait into sun. Do you have L-series lens or what? Hi from your "Camera Cousin" in Finland! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No tripod, but yes, smallest possible aperture. I'm guilty of overusing the effect, but practice makes perfect, right?

      Delete
  9. Your starburst pictures always enchants me. The clouds add lot of drama to desert landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's the 10th picture that is my favorite, but all are fine. The one rock formation at the beginning looks like a friendly whale to me....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing you beauty, safety, and Good vibes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous photos, love the rock formations and the skies! Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice finds and some dramatic colors in your photo's. As always a pleasure to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know exactly what you mean about some areas have positive vibes and others seem scary. I've learned to trust those feelings.

    Great rock art that you found. Kudos to you for keeping the place anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's amazing to me that these art artifacts have lasted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm beginning to wonder if you've ever taken a bad shot in your life. Thanks once again for a lovely and informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the photos! It looks like a great day for a hike, with lots of great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I understand about places that have good juju. I hope you find more "treasures" on your hikes.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  20. gorgeous images. glad you found those petroglyphs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the prickly pear plant standing alone doing it's thing, any idea how old the pottery shard is?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love looking for rock art as you call it and which it is of course. The sky is so beautiful too
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would trust that gut feeling! I had an interesting experience once when viewing an art installation (an extensive feeling of dread, so much so that I thought of leaving the exhibit), and it turned out (once I read an explanatory placard) that some material had been taken from the site of a European terrorist attack. It was intentional, to illustrate a point the artist was trying to make). But your pictures, as usual, ranged from wonderful to "wow".

    ReplyDelete
  24. How exciting it must be to see those petroglyphs! Beautiful captures all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonder what that spreadsheet petroglyph means ...Oh, I know what you mean, it's not only the visible world that counts, but the invisible world and history definitely counts in what we feel at certain places! Can't remember if I wrote that I changed my username from Jeshie to Emille? What all we do to keep our blog going!! Have a good one:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You were blessed with some wonderful skies for those photographs, with the kind of clarity we seldom see here. The petroglyphs are as enigmatic as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely gorgeous photos! Bet you enjoyed your hike as much as clicking those photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I know what you mean about having a negative feeling of a place. Beautiful scenery and sky photos in this post. Interesting petroglyphs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for stopping by at my art blog. It was quite a while since I visited you also as I don´t post much skies nowadays. A couple of weeks ago I painted one rockart from New Zeeland and thought I might do some more. There are many countries that has them.
    I know what you mean about the feelings. I have them to. Some places can be disturbing, others are welcoming. I think only sensitive people can feel it.
    Beautiful cloud formations. My favorite is the one cactus reaching up to the cloud. It is a wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  30. As always, incredible shots. Blue skies are nice, but clouds add so much texture. My favorite shot is the fourth one!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Magnificent rock art and sky photos ~ Xo

    Living in the moment,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    pps ~ delay in comment due to illness

    ReplyDelete
  32. So exciting to find the petroglyphs but honestly SPP, every shot you take in Joshua National park is a work of art to me 💜

    ReplyDelete
  33. Greetings and Salutations! I listen to bad and good vibes also. Incredible images.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You make everything look friendly and inviting . . . (and, always beautiful.)

    ReplyDelete