Thursday, September 16, 2021

Mystery Structure at Dale Dry Lake

 Last post, I signed off with a photo of this "mystery" structure.
It's certainly a mystery to me. Kind of reminds me of a Midwest grain silo, but I know to a certainty, there is no grain being farmed in this area. To refresh your memory, there are salt ponds in the area, and salt is being mined. How or if salt mining has anything to do with this structure is part of the mystery. Lets go take a closer look through those open doors.
 
It's kind of creepy inside. Through the magic of digital photography and editing, I lightened up this photo considerably. It was like stepping into a dark cave, and I had to stand here for a while to let my eyes adjust. As I was standing in darkness, a large bird suddenly flew down through a hole in the ceiling, directly over my head, and out the door. I think it was an owl. Scared the you-know-what out of me!
 
Looking out the entrance. That's my Jeep out there. 

I decide to walk the perimeter just to see what else I might find. This is the view looking south. The access door we walked through is on the west side (right side in this photo). The south side (which you can't see in this photo) has a fenced-off area.
 
It's too bad I'm out exploring alone today. I would like to have someone stand next to this structure for size perspective. It's huge! Look closely and you can just make out my Jeep in the photo below. That might help a little with perspective.
 
 
As I was walking the perimeter of our mystery structure and looking through the camera lens happily clicking away, I walked right by this hole in the ground. Looking back, I realize how lucky I was not to have fallen in! It's about 10-15 feet deep, and had I fallen in, I'm certain I would have never gotten out. I'd be just another desert mystery... gone missing and never seen again. I wonder what ever happened to that guy over at Spare Parts??!
 
Here's were things get really weird...
Not far from the mysterious hole in the ground is this huge circular structure. It kind of reminds me of something one might see at Burning Man, or perhaps the movie Beyond Thunderdome. It's not visible from a distance, so I didn't spot it until I was close to it. It has strangely twisted rebar sticking out of the top of the circular wall, as if a bomb went off, and a strange concrete tower thingy right in the middle of the circle.
 
The only way I can find to get inside Thunderdome (I don't know what else to call it).


From inside Thunderdome, I discover a tunnel or passageway heading in the direction of the grain silo mystery structure (not sure what to call that one either!). Perhaps there is an underground connection? And perhaps if I had fallen in that hole, I could have crawled out through here? No answers, just questions, but I strongly suspect all this stuff has something to do with salt mining.
 
You must admit, it makes for interesting photographs!

This photo shows the proximity between "Thunderdome" and the grain silo structure.



Looks like a road went through here at one time.
 
I've been doing a lot of exploring, but there's still more to find.
I come across this old sofa sleeper, and it crosses my mind to sit down for a rest and a drink of water. That thought quickly leaves my mind as I see the dilapidated condition it is in. Perhaps years ago someone used to sleep under the desert stars on this sofa sleeper?
 
Thanks for joining me on my exploration of the Dale Dry Lake area!!
Stay safe and stay healthy.
Linking with Skywatch Friday.
 
Addendum to this post: As it turns out, Dale Dry Lake is owned by the CA Supreme Salt company. My assumption was that this is BLM land, but that's not the case. I promised the good people over at CSS that I would update my post, let my readers know that this is in fact private property, and ask that you please not trespass. I've also asked CSS if they could provide a map of the property they own. I'm guessing the "mystery structure" is on their property, but that's just a guess. It's a huge area with many interesting things to see, and it would be very helpful to know exactly what is private property and what is public. You might also be interested to know that CSS "derives revenue from location companies and private third parties that rent our property for fashion shoots, advertising campaigns, music videos, and movie productions." So if you see an add, video or movie in the future with a familiar background, don't be surprised!

42 comments:

  1. Wow, you sure did find some interesting stuff that day! Glad you didn't fall into that hole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Peter,
    That was very mysterious and one would want to know more about its history!
    Those uncovered, treacherous deep holes are surely dangerous. Especially being there on your own.
    Some interesting photos and a lot more, new questionmarks!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was an adventure! I wonder (along with the whole mystery of the place) how that sofa got there???

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is full of mysteries! Was it a salt silo? I couldn't make out your jeep - on which side of the image is it? Your black and whites look ominous. Glad you didn't fall in that hole! Stay safe in the desert:) Emille (Jesh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jesh. In photo #6, I typed in the word "Jeep" next to my Jeep because it's so hard to see!

      Delete
  5. So interesting. Too bad there aren't any old timers to fill you in on what that was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...I have this thing about old abandoned stuff and you have them into art! Thanks my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you did NOT fall in the hole. I really wish you always had a hiking partner. I know most of the time you are adept at dealing with the desert, but relics from the past can be dangerous. Great photos - probably salt mining?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be about salt mining. Terrific shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if this post was interesting, or creepy. Perhaps a bit of both? I'm still shivering from your near miss with the hole. The blogging gods were with you that day! The B&W picture was my favorite, and I hope you get to solve the mystery of Thunderdome one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been reading and looking but minding a bad back. LOL I love this one you did a great job spinning a mystery. This is the thing I would have loved to walked upon as a 12-14 year old. The stories I could have conjured up. Thanks for taking us along.
    Sherry and jack ove in NC

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe it was a bomb testing site...

    ReplyDelete
  12. It´s a wonderful mystery. Great pics, you´re sure a great photographer, but going there by yourself? Huhhhh.
    The owl sure would´ve given me a heart attack!
    I hope there is more and/or you find out what once was done there... or maybe it should stay a mystery...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful and great shots! I'm faszinated!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That cloud above the sun (#14) looks like an ufo. And nice sun rays too. Quite a rabbit hole, glad you missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Who would think you could make an urbex discovery in the desert. Looks haunting but also interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, a great find. I'd love to learn the history of it and what it was for.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an interesting find! Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Greetings and Salutations! Oh my goodness. I am so glad that you didn't fall into that hole. The things one finds in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow ! Very creative and different photos ~ great sky shots too ~ Xo

    Living in the moment,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mysteriouser and mysteriouser! If not salt-mining then what? Glad you managed to avoid that hole.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another set of amazing photos you've shared. That dark spot is definitely creepy, almost looks like bits and pieces of metal like bikes etc at the back.

    ReplyDelete
  22. If anyone can figure out the facts behind the mystery, it's you! I will stay tuned for more updates! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic sir! I like how soft the sun looks in harsh light. Perhaps that's sign of professional editing. Glad you dodged the hole. Even in tropics like ours, we tend to frantically shift focus away from ground when there is that fantastic bird ahead. Sometimes it may be costly due to hidden serpents. Nowadays, I am improving and guarding ground before I focus on that mesmerizing flora/fauna

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an interesting thing - very odd!
    I really like the black and white photo!
    Thanks for your visit and comment on my blog. The large rocks along the bank of the Tennessee River were moved there. I think they are limestone that came from Tishomingo county in northeast Mississippi (about a 45 minute drive south of where I made the photos)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i there, this is a very good blog I appreciate your work. thanks for sharing such a useful information.
    ufa88kh.blogspot
    youtube
    SA GAMING

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well that is something odd to find in the desert> I think the hole needs covering I'd hate to fall in. You made the old relic come to life

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is a interesting find and a very mysterious one too. I wonder what caused the salt mining to stop there. What a relief that you didn't fall into the hole. Hope no one will. Maybe some day you will find more information on this mysterious site.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You found another great site again, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fascinating. I'm thinking you must be right about the connection with the salt mining operation. The ancient sofa sleeper abandoned in the middle of nowhere... There are so many questions we'll never get answers to.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such an interesting find. The thought of falling into that hole in the ground did give me a bit of shudder. I wonder what kind of processing goes on with salt mining. Maybe they mined and processed here. Those silos are a mystery unless they involved storage of some kind. The desert is full of mysteries to be solved.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That hole needs covering. Makes me nervous! lol You find the most interesting things.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would miss you if you fell in! Yogi over at Skywatch would feel terrible that he wanted you to look up all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I tried to comment on this after you posted it, but we were hit with a 4 hour power failure... I wonder if the circle was part of a water storage facility... or something. I tried to find some information on the processes of salt mining, but struck out.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great and interesting area to explore. I'm glad you didn't fell into that hole!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What an interesting find… a bit creepy and scary as well. I’m glad you didn’t fall in the hole. I’m sure there are some who would be brave enough to check out that tunnel. I’m curious as to what all that was for!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello Peter and thanks for your kind visit. 😊
    This site that you are exploring today is quite mysterious indeed. And dangerous too!
    But interesting and puzzling. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Golly. Thank You for taking care of yourself.
    Then, Thank You for sharing this enormously cool mystery . . . golly.
    you rock.

    ReplyDelete