Thursday, June 30, 2022

Scorpius Arch Revisited

 It was about 5 years ago when I first visited Scorpius Arch. I can remember feeling the absolute remoteness of the area. How in the world did someone discover an arch way out here in the middle of nowhere?? I remember seeing a photo of Scorpius while researching its location, and reading this note:
 
"Do not ask me for the location of this arch. I will not tell you. This arch is in a remote part of the park that is not often visited. If you get lost or hurt in this area no one will find you for days or weeks. I will not have that on my conscience. If you message me asking the location of this arch, I will ignore you."
 
Fast forward 5 years, and Scorpius doesn't feel as remote anymore. The secret is out, and the arch gets visited on a somewhat regular basis. This area that I've hiked for 5 years now, usually without seeing another human footprint, is starting to become a destination. I usually see footprints now on my hikes. A friend of mine told me someone is conducting photo-tours out here, bringing out groups of tourists in a van, cameras and tripods in hand! Nooooooo!!
 
So now I mostly avoid Scorpius, but on a recent hike I had about 30 minutes of daylight left as I limped back toward my car (long hike and tired, sore joints). The sky was beautiful, so I decided to take a quick detour over to Scorpius. The detour turned out to be not so quick, as the arch was further away than I remembered, but still very much worth the extra effort!
The smoke trees look so beautiful with "golden hour" lighting!
 


Scorpius Arch is over there somewhere... but where??
 
Finally... there it is! I like how the clouds seem to be draped over the top of the arch.
 



 

 
Last photo of the day... odd, smudgy looking clouds.
 
I guess I need to grudgingly admit that Scorpius is still one of my favorite arches!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.
Thanks for stopping by!!

28 comments:

  1. the beauty of the landscape is so perfect - I love limping along with you (via photos!) and seeing the landscape thru your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beauty you show in the desert, I always look forward to reading your blog each week to see the photos you show and I am never disappointed. Does not look like the tour get there in the evening like you do, lets hope it stays that way

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...gorgeous to say the least. Enjoy your 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing find still. I love that you keep its location secret and others have to but unfortunately things are leaking out.
    Even if they do get there they are not going to top you on the photographs they take.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome shots as always. I like the wonderful play of lights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always sad when such lonely places become popular.
    I hope at least people behave and don´t destroy or litter.
    Beautiful, dramatic pics, thank you again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to see a face or two when in hiking in remote locations (for my security, I tell myself), but regular van tours.... iiiuuu ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thinks you will be amazed even if you go there a hundred times...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the rocks and those skies! Art with every shot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice how the light found its way and was cast onto the dark underside of the arch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leading tours is something I'd support on foot, but are there roads out there? I'd guess not, and I'm amazed it's legal to drive there. Your landscape photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopefully the only evidence of the tourists will be footprints. Wonderful photos. That first is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome photos and great light. I do hope that people will not ruin this pristine area with their presence but I don't have much faith in that. Have a great holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Many of the photos have fantastic lighting. My favorite was the sunset taken through the arch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Se ve que amas a esas bella tierras. Has hecho unas admirables fotos.
    Feliz fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dearest Peter,
    Finding true riches like that and capturing the 'golden–hour' light in your photos is giving lots of satisfaction.
    No nature lover likes things like that being overrun by not–so–serious nature lovers!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  17. You enjoyed it before it became popular...

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautiful arch! Love your second capture too:) Remember Peter, once you were a "tourist" too:):) A happy 4th to you, Emille

    ReplyDelete
  19. It seems obvious now that I've come to a realization: One of the reasons I've always admired your pictures is that they are very close to three-dimensional! I don't know if it's the desert or some of your wizardry, but these pictures really a very close to three dimensional!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The light in these photos is just about perfect. The arch is well worth a visit. I look at it and wonder how it was formed over the decades.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the sun's rays through the arch, it looks poetic! You always get perfect shots!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Scorpion Arch is certainly beautiful and mysterious looking! I recently read an article about how our National Parks are "being loved to death" and I sadly think it is true in a way as the growing large crowds of visitors are often too many for the landscape to recover from, and also, sadly, some visitors to not follow the "leave no trace" rule. when they visit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's amazing and beautiful and a bit eerie out there. I'm sorry it has been discovered and that people are spoiling this wild area. Must add that this would actually be an instance where moving backwards in time was a good thing!

    ReplyDelete