Thursday, May 18, 2023

Cadiz Dunes

 Mitch and I have explored the lonely, desolate railroad outposts of Archer and Chubbuck so far on this trip, but our ultimate destination is someplace called Cadiz Dunes. We are hoping to get some late afternoon "golden hour" photos of the dunes, set up camp for an overnight stay, and perhaps some sunrise shots the next morning. As it turns out, the road into Cadiz Dunes is challenging. The last 1/4 mile is soft, deep sand. Mitch is driving his AWD Subaru, and we are both well aware that if we get stuck, it could be days before anyone else comes along, and there's no cell service in this area. A real nailbiter!
Mitch uses his driving skills to keep his speed up through the soft sand. It feels like we are driving a boat through water! If he were to stop or even slow down too much, we would quickly get stuck. The photo above is the Cadiz Dunes parking area (just before sunrise the next morning). Luckily, the sand firms up a little here and it is save to stop the car without getting stuck. Not sure what we would have done if the sand were deep and soft, like the road leading in.
 
This photo was taken a few seconds after the first photo, and facing the opposite direction (looking east down the sandy road we had come in on). If anyone reading this is thinking about visiting Cadiz Dunes, don't do it without an AWD Subaru (which has decent ground clearance) or better. Preferably better. My Honda CRV AWD, which is lower to the ground, very probably would have gotten stuck. Best to only come here if you have high ground clearance and 4WD, and ideally with two or more vehicles, since you will have no cell service.
 
But here's the payoff if you can make it to Cadiz Dunes:
Dunes, as far as the eye can see, and you will likely be all alone. Not another human being for miles! No footprints anywhere. Places like this are getting harder and harder to find. But as we started wandering across the dunes and taking pictures, I couldn't help feeling a little disappointed. The wind was blowing hard which I figured might ruin our changes of getting good photos.
Wind is blowing sand over the tops of the dunes, and all over Mitch and I and our camera gear! But as I thought about it more, it occurred to me the wind might be working in our favor. It makes for much more dynamic and interesting photos. The sand movement on the dunes is fascinating to watch!
 




I love how the dunes look in B&W!
 
 
 
I come up with the name "sand ghosts"... It's like the sand is alive!
  
Slow going in the soft sand and wind!



 
Keeping my fingers crossed that I'm not sandblasting my camera!!
 
We will be camping here overnight, so I'll share some more dune photos on my next post. Thanks for stopping by!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.



36 comments:

  1. That is out there. Great images. That's a place where you should probably spring for a satellite phone, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...WOW, the wind is an amazing sculptor! The closest we would get is snow drifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, but that wind seems it would be a bit rough for me to stand in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is a great 'pay off' ~ Fantastic ~ beyond words ~ photos ~ Impressive ~ thanks ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a stunning series of wind blowing sand dunes. The directional lighting creates so much mood

    ReplyDelete
  6. the dunes are gorgeous but I'd be terrified to drive out there

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a full-blown amazing adventure, pun intended. I would have needed a mask to cope with the flying sand particles. Also, it was quite a risk going up such a sandy road so glad you are home safe. But, wow, the pictures are incredible and how much like ocean waves the sand dunes look, particularly when in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Spectacular photos. The sound of wind is impressive in the video.

    It might be safer to ride a camel there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bit of Dakar Rally you getting there. It looks like you was in Sahara. Nice Shots though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I hope your camera stays sand-free - horrid stuff, it can find its way into anything, especially when there is a wind around :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd expect to stumble upon an old DeMille set. In my youth, a friend and I got stuck in some sand in Nevada a gazillion miles from anything. When night fell we tried to sleep in our sleeping bags in the bed of the truck-- and we were attacked by mosquitoes. I still wonder why there were mosquitoes there. We had to totally crawl into the sleeping bags and it was way too warm. Luckily some far more intelligent guys came along the next morning and pulled us out. I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so beautiful to see
    What lovely shapes in the sand

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating and most unusual images and video. You reminded me of the time on Padre Island when I drove off the wet sand unto a very dry patch and needed to be towed out. Several tow truck drivers spend the entire day just patrolling the area as there is plenty of business.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dunes are beautiful but can be very intimidating…
    Great photos… As usual!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! The title Cadiz Dunes sounds like some place in Spain or Morrocco. Little did I know that California has such pristine wilderness! Glad you and your friend made it ok, and got some stunning pictures and video, What an experience!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks more like the Sahara as desert also a beautiful header .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous dunes! I do like the blowing sand in the photos! When I was a kid we used to visit Sleeping Bear Dunes in MI and I remember how difficult it could be to climb the dunes in the soft, deep sand.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful. We had hoped to get back out your way, but time and age is saying NO! Always appreciate your posts.
    Sherry & jack here on the first coast...

    ReplyDelete
  19. The adventure continues with some awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing photos, it looks like the unes in the Sahara desert I have seen. I thought you had a jeep 4x4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good, yes I do. It's old and has some mechanical issues. Didn't want to take the risk of a breakdown in the middle of nowhere, and we figured Mitch's new(ish) Subaru gave us a better chance of a successful outcome.

      Delete
  21. Preciosas dunas, son altas y poderosas y no tiene nada que ver, con las que yo he visto en España.
    Que tengas un feli fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing dunes, beautifully sculptured by the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The video - wow! I would say B&W is the way to go - I enjoyed all the photos but the B&W shots had a certain atmosphere the color shots didn't have. You've given us so much variety lately - thank you (and Mitch)!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Beautiful!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing how the wind has sculpted the sand! You have captured the art beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hadn't heard of this place and I love sand dunes. You got some great photos even in the challenging wind. I love driving past the dunes near Yuma and if I was younger, I'd be planning a trip to Namibia. They have some of the most beautiful dunes I've ever seen photos of.

    ReplyDelete
  27. gorgeous images. I think I prefer b&w in this case. but you two are playing with fire!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What beautiful and dynamic photos you were able to capture despite the challenging conditions! The sand movement on the dunes really does add an extra layer of interest to the images. And I love how the black and white photos showcase the dramatic landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Peter, the dune pictures are stunning and they actually generate that feeling you describe of the living sand! Even if I were still capable to the drive and hike , there would be no danger of my trying to visit Catiz Dunes -- just reading about the dangers felt stressful enough.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Breathtaking! I never think of landscapes like this being anywhere in this country. I couldn't get the video to load but will try again later.

    ReplyDelete
  31. These were spectacular, Peter. Loved the last video and you are right b/w does incredible justice to the dunes. Excited to know how the over nighter turned out to be.

    May your quest for adventure always be quenched. Happy week.
    Cheers!
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  32. Driving in san, oh, such "fun". That was the only time we really switched on the 4WD-mode. Back then, in Australia.
    Ingo was driving, I didn´t dare...
    Gravel roads we did without.
    Windorah... is what this remind me of. REd dunes. We stayed three days admiring that!

    ReplyDelete