Thursday, August 10, 2023

Spectacle at Garrett's Arch

 My friend Roger shared a photo with me of Mojave Mound Cactus at the base of Garrett's Arch in full bloom. This is a big deal. Mojave Mound Cactus usually grow in small clumps or mounds. It's claimed that the Mojave Mound Cactus at the base of Garrett's Arch is the largest grouping in all of Joshua Tree National Park. I have no way to substantiate that claim, but it's the largest grouping of the cactus that I've personally seen. To have it all in bloom under that beautiful arch would be a spectacular and rare sight indeed!
A typical mound of Mojave Mound Cactus, taken in April of 2022
Also called Hedgehog, Claret Cup, and Kingcup Cactus, it's brilliant red flowers with bright green things in the middle (stigma?) make it one of the prettiest flowering cactus you will run across.
Roger said if I wanted to see this visual display, to go right away. The flowers were already starting to show signs of being past their prime. Which meant I didn't have time to coordinate calendars and this would be a solo hike. I was kind of OK with that, having hiked out to Garrett's Arch a number of times in the past. However, I had only hiked by the arch (not up to it), and I was a little nervous about doing that solo. To ascend up to the arch requires navigating some very steep, smooth rock. I decided to see how I felt when I got to the arch. Take it slow and easy, and if at anytime it felt unsafe, to head down.
 
I took the time to refresh myself on the hike out to the arch by checking AllTrails. It had been a while since I had hiked there, and always by following the same approach out and back. AllTrails suggested a loop hike, which sounded interesting and would allow me to do something new. Almost all of the reviewers said navigation was difficult, and to download the GPS route to your phone so you don't get lost. A number of people said they had to give up before getting to the arch because of difficult boulder scrambling and/or getting lost. For the most part, there is no trail to follow, so a GPS route (and knowing how to use one) is critical. A few of the more seasoned hikers recommended following the loop counter-clockwise so you can get through the most difficult section of boulder scrambling at the beginning of the hike when you are fresh. Makes sense to me!
So off I go. In the screenshot above, the AllTrails route is in red. My actual track is in blue. You might notice that there's a big section in the upper right that doesn't align. Not a good thing! As I followed the Wall Street Mill trail on my counter-clockwise loop, all was well and I was feeling pretty good. It was a hot day, but not unbearable. Just past the Wall Street Mill, the route takes you into the Wonderland of Rocks. I entered at the correct location, but I could see only one clear pathway to follow (a well defined wash that branched a little to the left). I could see other footprints, and it was an obvious trail to follow. I was so confident that I was going the right direction that I didn't feel the need to check my phone to see if I was still on the AllTrails route. But the further I went, the more difficult it got! There were a couple spots that were unpassable and I had to figure out alternate routes, including bushwhacking through heavy brush. I finally pulled my phone out of my pocket to make sure I hadn't strayed from the route and couldn't believe it. My jaw dropped: I had strayed from the route almost the moment I entered the Wonderland! 
 
To backtrack now would mean to give up on Garrett's Arch. It would be a long, difficult backtrack and I wouldn't have the time or energy to start over. But to continue on posed a real danger. I was getting tired, and there was a very real possiblity I would hit a dead end. The further I went, the further it would be to backtrack. I decided to forge on, fingers crossed, but found myself wishing for a hiking partner!
I was really getting tired and worried when I came around a rock formation and spotted a rocky outcrop I recognized. It has a worn letter "A" on the rock... hard to see, but once you've seen it, you don't forget it. When I spotted that, I knew I was near the arch and safe. It was like a weight being lifted off my shoulders! I little further on and you can clearly see Garrett's Arch (photo above) and the steep granite face I would have to climb if I was going to make it up to see the cactus bloom.
 
The first part of the climb is the most difficult. The rock is steep and sheer without any footholds. I have no photos because I was focused on the climb and on not slipping down the rock face and killing myself!
 
Almost directly below the arch, but no sign of the bloom.
 
Ah, there we go!! Kind of a hidden flat area directly below Garrett's Arch with a huge amount of Mojave Mound Cactus in bloom. It was magical seeing it in person, and we are seeing something that very few people have seen!
 
The cactus blooms were clumped all around the base of the arch, and my biggest challenge was trying to photograph them AND the arch in the same frame. I was down on my knees for this shot for a lower perspective. I didn't know it at the time, but I was right on top of an ant pile, and wow were they angry!! I ended up having to remove most of my clothing to flap and slap the ants off, and I still found myself picking off stray ants for the rest of the afteroon!
I put on my Rokinon 14mm (almost a fisheye) lens. It allowed me to capture a larger area under the arch, but it makes the flowers look smaller. Kind of a trade off.
 
What a beautiful arch! No way that I could see to climb up and in, with it's steep vertical walls. But there's always a way. Maybe from the backside? Perhaps another day.
 
Time to start heading back. My wide angle lens flattens everything out and makes it look deceptively easy. I scooted down on my butt the whole way, since one slip or twist of the ankle could send me falling all the way to the bottom. Getting down from Garrett's Arch turned out to be one of the most difficult parts of the hike.
 
It sure felt good to be back on terra firma and off those rocks!
 
Thanks for joining me on this adventure!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

39 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers. Be careful out there. Such steep climbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...fabulous images, the pops of red are wonderful. Thanks for taking me through the Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a beautiful cactus! Love the other photos also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a tempting archway and also window to another view. I'm getting a science fiction vibe … maybe to another dimension? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The terrain and the flowers are just rare beauty one can wish for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adventure and you found the bloom and the arch and got photos to prove it. I've never made such a climb but what little I have done, showed me that sometimes the hardest part is going down when you are all tired.
    Congratulations on a great outing.
    I love all trails and more than once I have gone quite a aways off of it and not known it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! ~ you definitely earned your view of the cacti flowers below the archway ~ and took awesome photos for your blog ~ glad you are on terra firma too ~ thanks for the gorgeous photography ~ Wow!

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Success. Glad you made it, but it was definitely a trek to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another amazing post, wonderful place. Stunning pics. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  10. The things we photographers do to get the shot. But those photos of the cactus bloom are beautiful! Worth the scramble and ants.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cactus flowers are very beautiful! I'm very happy to see them. You must be careful out there! Beautiful photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cactus flowers are truly pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And those flowers are your reward! such amazing beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Las flores son preciosas y tienen un alegre y bonito color. Las rocas adoptan formas caprichosas y resultan muy atractivas en esos hermosos paisajes.
    Feliz fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The arch is great. The flowers are great. Together, along with your excellent photography, they are the greatest. BTW, you are a very brave man. What an adventurer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dearest Peter,
    Glad you managed to go there and capture this rare beauty!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  17. The rock formations are wonderful and those cacti? Just breathtaking! I know you are taking precautions when you hike. It's miserable here and my hikes and fewer and shorter. But it feels so great to get out in the wild! Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quite a risky hike, but it was well worth it. The combination with that rare beautiful Mojave Mound Cactus and that majestic arch is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was worth the effort evenn if you did go down on your butt

    ReplyDelete
  20. Certainly, I'm not the only one Sending our prayers along with you on your adventures. Glad you have the smarts and experience to care for your well-being properly. Thank you for sharing your brilliant photos and your always exciting rambles with us. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Too many people underestimate or don't appreciate cactus. However, they have some of the most beautiful flowers of any plant. That one was stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another great adventure, although you could have done without the ants. Thank you for taking us along. That was epic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you didn't kill or got hurt. Flowers are amazing.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful images! Sounds risky, but who would’ve expected ants to attack!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, what an adventure! Glad you made it out in one piece and got pictures of the beautiful cactus blooms. Wonder how long was the hike from start to finish?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for virtually taking me to a place I would never dare go! That truly must have felt so rewarding to finally see the red cacti at the arch!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow what a nice hike again.Those cacti blossoms jumps really out of the screen and that lying indian face forming the arch is timeless beautiful. Thanks for showing us the desert beauty again.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an incredible journey you undertook to witness that breathtaking cactus bloom under Garrett's Arch! Your storytelling had me on the edge of my seat, from unexpected turns in the route to the majestic view of the arch and the cacti.

    ReplyDelete

  29. Für diese wunderschönen Kakteenbilder wäre ich auch gewandert. Eine abenteuerliche Wanderung, die sich gelohnt hat.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Bei so viel Schönheit komme ich aus dem Staunen nicht heraus. Einzigartig!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my gosh Peter the flowers are stunning and the arch too, but ... so scary. I'm glad you did it and glad you made it down and glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  32. BTW, your header shot is wonderful, eerie, spooky and beautilful.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Absolutely stunning capture of these spectacular cacti blossoms. You must have been feeling quite exhilerated once you were safelyon your way.

    ReplyDelete