Thursday, September 14, 2023

Milky Way Over Quail Springs Pump House

 I've hiked out to the Quail Springs pump house before (most recently HERE), but never at night. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen a night photograph of the pump house, and I know I've never seen a photo of the pump house under the Milky Way. Not many people know about the location so it doesn't get many visitors, and the number of night visitors is probably... well, let's see... zero! Anyway, the idea hit me when I was trying to think of possible interesting foregrounds for the Milky Way, and the pump house seemed to check all the boxes. The view of the pump house is to the south (as is the MW), so we can check off that box. The location should be plenty dark, and it's about 2 miles to the nearest road (so no interference from car headlights: Check ✔️). The elevation is nearly 4000', so that would help a little with the hot summer desert temperature.
On the hike out to the pump house, you pass by this old rusty relic, which is pretty cool! You are also not far from Samuelson's Rocks. Close to the rusty car is a collapsed cabin, so lots to see out in this area if you know where to look.
 
This cabin was unique in that it had a basement or cellar. It's noticeably cooler down here! Now it's just a snake den. No, just kidding, but I do look very carefully before proceeding in. Because of the rusty cars close proximity to the cabin, they very likely had the same owner. But I've never been able to find any information about the owner of this cabin. 
 
This cabin had a totally bitchen front porch, and the whole area has a very nice feel to it, with lovely desert views. Desert living at its finest! There's a very faint road that leads from the cabin to the pump house. It's likely the owner(s) of this house drove the old jalopy up to the pump house for water.
 
I've heard it said that the old timers would use whatever they could find (usually an old piece of tin from a can) to cover up holes in cabin walls, especially where there was knot in the wood that would allow air to blow in. Here's proof!
 
It's about 6:30PM when I get to the pump house. That gives me about an hour until sunset, and plenty of time to look around and get my camera and tripod set up.
 
 
The old pump still works, which is amazing to me! On this visit, it took a lot of pumping for just a trickle of water. I kept at it until the trough was about half full. I'm guessing the local critters will appreciate it! Interesting side note: Almost the moment I pumped out a trickle of water, the bees went crazy!
 
Killing time, waiting for the Milky Way to rise.
 





 
 
Until finally, it was dark enough and the MW was in the right position...
It's so much fun being out in the desert at night under all these stars! Totally quiet with just the occasional yip of a coyote. The above photo is actually 10 photos that are "stacked" to reduce noise (since you have to crank up the ISO for these MW photos). My plan was to go out at night for more photos the night after this photo was taken to (hopefully) capture the Perseid meteors. Long story, but the camera settings were incorrect (read: User error) and after taking around 300 photos, I got nothing. So I decided to go back to my pump house photos, brighten them up a little, and see if I could spot any meteors.
Darn if I didn't capture some!! Out of the 10 photos I took (10 second exposure, ISO 8000), 3 or 4 had faint meteors that could be seen. I combined them into this single image. What a nice bonus to have on my MW photos!
 
There's only one challenging part to this hike, and that's hiking open desert using headlamp and phone navigation to get back to the car. The above photo shows you exactly what it looks like. No mountains or landmarks of any kind; just a patch of light from the headlamp. If my phone navigation would malfunction or my battery died, I would have to just sit down and wait for first light. There's just no way of navigating without GPS, unless you're one of those people who know how to navigate using the stars! Anyway, all went well, my trusty phone app guided me right back to my car, and it was a wonderful night to be out taking pictures in the desert!
 
Thanks for stopping by, and stay healthy!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

39 comments:

  1. Again, you are the man!! You nailed all the shots, even recovered some meteor tracks and then intrepid heads back to the car at night with just your phone.
    Amazing post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the night skies are even more beautiful than the blue skies of daytime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an awesome location! Wow … the last photo looks surreal, as if from another planet. But then Earth amid the stars IS remarkably surreal even though we don't notice that most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came back after watching the video. Precious water! On behalf of the bees, we thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...your post is a treat on Thursday afternoons. Thanks for taking me along to see the sights!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's awe inspiring to see the photos and definitely to know how you navigate the night hike. Amazing skies. The cabin is fascinating to me -- that particular old-timer went to a lot of work to make that desert dwelling a home! A porch, a basement , a window with a view, a place to park your car. What more could you ask? (unless of course you like to see other people once in a while of course))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos, as always. Love the bees!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photo of the Milky Way and meteors is epic as is the stonework in that deserted cabin basement. Someone went through a lot of work to build that cabin. I hope you can find out more on it one day. As for your hike back to the car, to me that would be so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The arid landscape is so surreal through your lens. The sunset and the rustic structures are just fabulous to view complimenting Milkyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hands Down, Best Way To Kill Some Time - Amazing Captures - And Just How Quiet Was That Atmosphere - Keep On Keeping On Brother Parts

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots! I am impressed by how much trouble do you go to for your photos. It reminds me of Ansel Adams.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful photos and sky, wow. Fancy the pump working still, that is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your photos are so beautiful! I like to see the desert and the big cactus out there. The cabin was nice, and I love to see the bees too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous night! The bees thank you and so do I. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another great hike with wonderful photos from start to finish.
    Truly amazing to find a working pump in those conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that last one! You do good work! By the way, I haven't heard (or seen) anyone use "Bitchen" since I was in high school! That may have been before you were born....:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cool is that!?!? Thanks you for sharing your settings, I am now inspired to try and give it a shot myself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice catch with those Perseid meteors. You have your tecnique together and you had some luck. That equals one helluva Photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You got some great photos on this trip. I love the one with the meteors. I can't believe that pump still works. That is truly amazing as are all the thirsty bees who found the water so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your adventures and the resulting photos although they tend to make me feel inadequate.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful series of photos ~ night shot is awesome ~ uniWishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)que adventure photos ~ thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  22. How cool you got some meteors in your shots! Nice sunset and Milky Way pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You really did get some stunning photos of the Milky Way, the other shots were dam good as well

    ReplyDelete
  24. For me, this post is a total package - the arrival, checking out, the waiting and then the spectacular finale. Just a fabulous set of images.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great group of photos, what a great way to spend some time!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The community I live in was once a cattle ranch and there is a pump house that the original rancher used that still works. Our historical society preserved it for future residents to see. The desert cabin ruins were interesting to see and the sunset on your hike was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your night photography of the Milky Way with the pump house as a backdrop is truly breathtaking. Spotting meteors was an unexpected bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love to know the stories behind these old abandoned cars. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. You got some stunning photos.. and those trees.. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The car is beautiful indeed.
    Oh, a porch, how wonderful!
    Beautiful view out of the window and I wonder about bees in the desert... Nice of you to provide water.
    Wonderful shots, truly - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete