Thursday, April 18, 2024

March Milky Way Madness

 You might think I'm crazy (https://www.youtube.com). Sometimes I think I'm crazy.  After driving 10 miles on a terribly rutted and washboarded dirt road that nearly shook my Jeep apart, I started my solo hike. I struggled to put on my very heavy backpack with food, water, sleeping bag, and camera gear. No tent (some call this "cowboy camping"), because that would add even more weight. What do you need a tent for, anyway? Well, some would argue to keep snakes, scorpions, tarantulas, and other critters from climbing into your bag with you, but I decided not to worry about that. Don't sweat the small stuff.
 
I had a plan. There's this old mining site in Joshua Tree National Park that I've been to once or twice before. At this site there's this thing that looks like a giant funnel (seriously!). Not sure how it was used in the mining operation, but that's exactly what it looks like. I had this idea stuck in my head where I go out during a new moon and shoot the Milky Way, and try to orient it so it looks like the stars are pouring into the funnel. It was a long shot that it would turn out the way I was envisioning it, but the only way I was going to get that image out of my head was to go out there and give it a try.
About 3/4th of the way to my destination, there's this gate. Kind of funny because the fence is gone on either side, so the gate is serving absolutely no purpose, but kind of cool that it's still standing. It also serves as a marker for an old road, leading into and out of the mining area. The old road is mostly non-existant these days. Oh, and notice those clouds? They are the enemy of Milky Way photographers!
 
Rusty deliciousness!
 
A pile of rocks in the desert always make you stop and wonder...
 
Bonus points if you can correctly identify what this used to be!
 
I eventually find my way to what's left of the "Gold Rose Mill." Center right is a large vat or tank. I'm no expert, but they used to mix cyanide with crushed ore in these vats. The cyanide efficiently extracts  the gold from the ore and is collected. The problem is that cyanide is toxic and can have substantial environmental impact (think contaminated drinking water, fish kills, and harm to agricultural areas). Do you see the soil berm against the tank, and even the plume around it without much growth that looks kind of peach-colored? That's cyanide tainted soil. I honestly don't know if I'm at any risk being out here on a windy day, but you probably wouldn't want to spend a lot of time out here.
 
This large ramp is about 20 yards from the tank. Just an educated guess, but wagons or old trucks would probably go up this ramp to dump their ore for processing. The Dale Mining District is not too far away, and perhaps this mill processed the ore from some of those mines.

View from the top of the ramp. See those big concrete structures on the left? There was big machinery here of some kind. My guess would be a stamp mill, which is used to crush ore. Makes sense: Drive up the ramp, dump your ore to be crushed, then put the crushed ore in the vat to be mixed with cyanide to extract the gold.
 
Here's what I came for: The Giant Funnel!!
 
Near the giant funnel is this old rusty truck cab.
 
I climbed in to take it for a spin. It was a tight squeeze! 
 
Not far from the Gold Rose Mill/giant funnel/old truck cab is an area I'll call the Gold Rose well. Again, just an educated guess, but I'm thinking there was a well and pump on this concrete slab. The tank to the right was probably a water tank. There was also a good sized cabin or house at this site (gone now), and there is corrugated metal sheeting all over the place, along with old car parts. The metal sheeting was either used for cabin construction, or perhaps at one time the well had siding and a roof, with the metal sheeting attached to those iron poles.
 
 
 
 
Having thoroughly explored the area, there wasn't much more to do. I hike back to the Giant Funnel area and decide I'll do two Milky Way attempts (one over the funnel and one over this old truck cab). But I'm not feeling very optimistic with all those clouds! It's about 6pm, so I eat my PB&J sandwich. Then I put my tarp and sleeping bag down and wait. By about 8:30pm I climb into my bag and try for sleep, but it doesn't come. The optimum Milky Way time is about 4-4:30AM. My phone alarm is set for 3:30AM. I toss and turn all night, and I don't ever remember falling asleep. Every time I check my phone, time seems to be moving glacially slow! By 3:15AM I'm stiff, sore, and grumpy, and decide I can't lay in this stupid mummy bag on the hard ground another second! But guess what? The sky is clear! That's really good luck, so now I get down to the business of focusing my camera in the dark, taking multiple images for stacking later, taking foreground shots using my headlamp for light painting, and all the other fun stuff that goes into Milky Way photography.
I'm pretty happy with this photo. Actually, I'm very happy to have captured anything at all. The clouds could have easily sent me home empty handed. I had a clear, dark sky with decent visibility. My camera settings were: 17mm focal length, f2.8, ISO 10,000, 10 second exposure. Using such a high ISO, I was pleased that there wasn't too much noise in the photo. Keeping the exposure to only 10 seconds keeps the stars sharp.
 
I would have loved to have had the giant funnel angled over a bit, so it looks more like the stars are flowing in and out of the funnel, but it was too heavy for me to push. All in all, I'm very pleased with this one, and what a beautiful Milky Way! 
 
I was finished by about 4:20AM, and the thought of getting back in my cramped mummy bag and trying (again) for sleep seemed like a waste of time. I decided to pack everything up and hike back to my car in the dark, just using my headlamp and phone GPS. It's not an easy hike in the dark, but I made it back. What a night. Wow, was I exhausted! Crazy as it sounds, I'm pretty sure I'll be out again for next month's Milky Way to do it all again!!
 
Thanks for stopping by!!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

44 comments:

  1. Such an adventure!! I don't know what else to say. You are indomitable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always look forward to seeing your blog,, especially the ones from the park and this week you have not disappointed but the icing on the cake has to be the milky way ones. Stunning

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...the milky way is fabulous and so is your picture with the old door! I hope that you are having a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those turned out amazing. I guess this sort of thing is addictive. I can't wait to see how your next foray turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful excursion though you didn’t get any sleep. The photos are spectacular though and well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great exploration and no bonus points for me, No clue
    I visited you via Skywatch Friday. My entry is #12+13. Feel free to join SSPS Linkup M-S: https://esmesalon.com/tag/wordlesswednesday/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your capture of the Milky Way. What a great hike. Ha, ha, don't sweat the small stuff, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. October here is our Milkyway Bow time. Always a fan of your rusted and ruined theme for everything. Your adventure seems to be so much preparation ahead for the survival on the desert

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really cool! I'm glad the clouds cooperated and you got your shot. The general public has no idea how much we photographers go through sometimes to capture our images.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liz directed me to your blog and I love it. I love the funnel...too cool. But since I love gates is the reason Liz sent me that way. I LOVE IT.....as for camping out there, not for me. My son camps out there but in a trailer! lol....I feel like that is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful experience, Amazing clicks. Milky way photos just Awesome. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's some adventure. Well, you got what you came for, and it's wonderful.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your starry sky shots are always wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad it cleared for the milky way. The daytime sky was so full of contrails, I would think they'd present a problem. Super post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was adventurous. Hope you had great sleep post the milky way shoot. With IS) 10000, my camera would bring milkyway out of noisy grains :-). Meanwhile loved your exploration as well

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another good reason to maybe drive, rather than fly, this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was another great adventure with beautiful photos as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice details from a past time in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing! I want to be you when I get younger. 😊

    I see so many objects that you use in so many star photos although probably not aligned for Milky Way. I can even imagine capturing the night sky through that gate in the first photo with the camera almost down to ground level and pointed upward.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow! exceptional. not only the images but the whole post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! fun photos and creative too ~ being a bit crazy sometimes helps ~ milky way shot is dynamic and still curious as to what the 'fringe item' was ~ did anyone guess? `~ Great adventure with you ~


    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, your final image made me gasp! It’s marvelous.

    Be careful out there. Is it a superfund site? Wow, it looks so ancient but 1948 was not that long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, what an adventure and breathtaking photos! Never seen such a lot of stars at the real sky (only in planetarium)...
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  25. You always find such wonderful subject matter in the desert for your photos. The two Milky Way shots make your trip absolutely worthwhile. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fascinating in all aspects.
    The mining information was really interesting.
    Photo opportunities in that environment seem nearly infinite. You certainly use your talent to create incredible images.

    Milky Way photography. Sigh.
    First and foremost, your results are spectacular!
    Our recent trip to south Florida had me at one of the darkest sky spots in the state at 0400. Weather report: clear. Actual weather: low clouds.
    I had not attempted night sky photography before and am anxious to keep trying. Thank you for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hermosa aventura por ese desierto que se hermoso, eso de los bichos me asusto si se meten en tu mochila.
    Fotografías maravillosas y la Vía Láctea preciosa.
    La información que nos dejas muy completa, precioso viaje.
    Abrazos y besos aventurero, que tengas un bello fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an adventure! The Milky Way photos are both gorgeous. There is quite a lot to see at this site. A nice glimpse into the past.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'll try not to look at the other comments....I think it is an old tent or tarp! But I sure couldn't 'cowboy' camp any more but I did when I was younger. I spread a tarp on the ground and put down my sleeping bag and slept like a baby! lol Love all the neat things you found to photograph and the sky of course. I'm glad you were brave and took photos to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good try LD! It's actually the remains of an old tire. Long before steel belted radials, I guessed they used fabric-reinforced rubber to make automobile tires. This is what they look like when they decompose!

      Delete
  30. Those are gorgeous photos you got! I had to stop using a mummy bag some years back. My feet want to be free and mummies were, by age 50 or so, too confining. How much water did you have to carry with you? I love your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this, I was hoping tyo see the funnel again and WOW what a shot of the Milkyway. I also smiled at the pile of rocks. I am reading a lot of westerns and many a body was left under rocks ;-), That year marker 1948, I was 9 years old.
    i don't have much luck with sleep under the stars, and I really can't know why. It is nice on a warm night, but I get very little sleep.
    Take care , Thanks for taking us along, and YES the cyanide does scare me.

    I said to myself what in the world could that weird picture have been. I wanted to say bed or couch, but I could not picture an original. LOL
    Jack & Sherry in NC at present

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can fully understand your plan to return to next month's Milky Way. I loved your description of this adventure, as much as the photography. You've captured a very impressive Milky Way vista. Is the object in question the disintegration of a large tyre?

    ReplyDelete
  33. OMG!!! These Milky Way pictures are worth every effort and the pictures with you on them are original and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awesome Milky Way shot! Braving the cold for that perfect pic. Worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a wonderful trip and thank you for the smiles - great outcome with all the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You got amazing photos of our Milky Way and thank you for sharing them . I'm glad you didn't sweat the small stuff (the scorpions, snakes, and possible cyanide contamination, not to mention hiking back to the car in the dark hours!). But I gotta' tell you, some people have a wayyyy different definition of 'small stuff'. ... I always love how you take such interesting and artistic portraits of the desert "artifacts" -- the old rusty leftover things -- along with the stunning scenery. They're always beautiful in their own weird way and also make me feel as if I'd been along for the hike (without the small stuff)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow! Amazing Milky Way photography! I love the photo of you in the old rusty truck cab too.

    I must say just the very thought of the 8-legged freaks puts me off though!

    ReplyDelete


  38. Such larks! One of the things I miss most about the desert is its clear night skies. I'll never forget showing my husband his first Milky Way view just outside of Big Pine. And the remains of old human interaction with this part of the country are endlessly fascinating. I do hope you'll turn this blog into a book at some point--although revisiting the website isn't a bad alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This was fascinating - all the rust (the picture of you and the door with all the rust and green stuff-that door almost looked to me like a mural was painted on it), the history ,the mystery of the 1948, and the Milky Way photos. It was all amazing.

    ReplyDelete