Thursday, June 20, 2024

June Gloom

 It was a June gloom hike this morning, and it was wonderful! If you're not familiar with the "June gloom" term, it just refers to the cloudy, gloomy weather typical of this time of year. Most of Orange County gets it, but as you go further inland (especially into the desert regions), it disappears. 
 
I'm a big fan. June gloom is actually the marine layer pushing inland from the ocean, and it keeps the mornings cool. I can deal with summer heat when the mornings are cool, and when temperatures cool off overnight. As summer progresses, June gloom is just a memory, and the sun is out full blast first thing in the morning. When temperatures stay hot overnight, you know your in the worst part of summer, and you just cross your fingers and hope it doesn't last too long. The only thing I don't like about June gloom are the skies. They tend to be grey and boring, so not great for Skywatch Friday.
A typical June gloom sky in Orange County, CA.
 
Here's an example of June gloom in action. When I started my hike this morning at 9am (in Orange County), the temperature was 62 and cloudy. By the time I finished my hike (11am), it was 65 and still cloudy. Perfect hiking weather! The high is predicted to eventually reach 80.
 
Had I been out in the desert, the temperature today at 9am was 74 and sunny. Not a cloud in sight. By 11am, it was 82, and heading for a high of 94. Uncomfortably hot for a hike. What a difference!
 
There wasn't much in the way of bright, showy flowers. Too late in the season for that. Even so, there were a LOT of flowers. If you enjoy muted earth tones, you would have enjoyed this hike. I'm not sure what kind of plant this is in the foreground, but its whitish flowers were everywhere. It, along with California buckwheat, were by far the dominant flowering plants.
 
A batch of sticky monkey flowers in the center of the photo (above), and close up of the same flower (below). It was seen in widely scattered patches, and the flowers are a little past their prime.
 
Flowers, flowers everywhere! I think that's California Buckwheat in the foreground. Behind it is the mystery flowering plant I haven't been able to identify. These two plants probably account for at least 60% of the blooms I saw during the hike.
Update: I got some help from a friend about the plant ID, and he thinks it's something called "Pearly everlasting."
 
Pearly everlasting?
 
Most of the prickly pear cactus is done blooming. This one still has some closed flowers, and interestingly, both yellow and red flowers on the same plant. I wonder how the flower color is determined?
 
Hiking trail through a carpet of buckwheat flowers!
 
An impressively large buckwheat flowerhead.
 
Tree tobacco
 
California brittlebush. Didn't see mamy of these, and most was well past its prime.
 
So here's my very unscientific flowering plant survey from today's hike:
  • 30% California buckwheat
  • 30% unidentified white flowering mystery plant
  • 10% elderberry tree flowers (no photos)
  • 5% sticky monkey flower
  • 25% all other/unidentified
I'll be heading out to the desert again for my next post.
Thanks for stopping by!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

38 comments:

  1. Pearly Everlasting caught my attention. What a beautiful bloom in the desert

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...thanks for sharing you gloomy day, it look might special to me. It's great to see Mother Nature's desert gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preciosas fotografías, las flores del desierto son muy bonitas.
    Que tengas un bello día.
    Abrazos y te dejo un besito

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still a lot of pretty flowers. I think the buckwheat and everlasting are very nice. My father grew native (we were in N. CA) plants, and had a sticky monkey flower. I loved it for the name alone when I was little!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the June gloom is great at not letting things get too hot, but the whining... I am over people whining about the gloomy skies. Nice hike. Good day for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still looks beautiful though, hopefully you get a little bit of rain to feed the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing all those lovely desert flowers. So beautiful. Thanks for letting us come along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gloomy skies can be interesting! The various flowers are lovely, regardless. Sticky monkey is one I have never seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The overcast can make for wonderful shots of the flowers and plants. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. I'm always amazed at the variety of flowers in the desert. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The June gloom has given you a nice colorful series. I suspect the gloomy weather probably contributed to that. I've enjoyed it again, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came across Joshua Tree and desert in a recent tv program (it had to be Bosch). I stopped the program for a minute and told my wife about your wonderful adventures and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd never heard of June gloom but I'd like it too. I often used to walk my garden at my house in early hour after sunrise. Summer in Florida is like a steam tent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Flowers, flowers everywhere. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe they are past peak but I still enjoyed your flowers. I'm not familiar with any of them and some of the names intrigue me. Our Southern Tier of New York gloom season is called "fall and winter".

    ReplyDelete
  16. If they are called Pearly Everlasting I think its a good name for them. They remind me of the old string pearls ladies of means wore around their necks crinkled old necks. I can say crinkled old necks because I have one now. But I've never owned or wanted to own pearls. Maybe its the aged look to the blooms that brought up the aged memory to connect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those cooler mornings and the blooms this time of year. The heat…not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the term June Gloom and I love June gloom days! We have had a couple of those days here along with much needed rain. Your photos of the flowers are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The unidentified flower...I like it and so glad you took a close=up photo. An interesting hike, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooff! It was already 80F when I was out walking this morning before 10am. Tomorrow and Sunday are expected to be even hotter. Sizzlin' Summer here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the term "June gloom"! It's a great contrast to what we experience here - bright, sunny mornings followed by dark, gloomy afternoon with monsoon showers. Completely different weather patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing these beautiful flowers. Love them all.
    Yesterday there was perhaps June gloom in Munich too, as it was misty and in the airport there were problems with low visibility. My flight was late.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh, the amazing desert flowers! I'm in awe. "June gloom " does kinda roll off the tongue nicely, but is entirely wrong for the desert -- cool mornings are so wonderful in hot climates. (We've lost them already here in Florida, but they were lovely on warm winter days, so I can't complain). Your skies aren't too bad really, but I'm comparing them to winters we have spent in rainy Oregon where I thought I could photograph the back of a tablet and post it to Skywatch, it would look the same as the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  24. what an abundance of flora. awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, what a delightful hike!
    Even with the June gloom, the variety of flowers you encountered is impressive.
    Pearly everlasting is such a charming name, and those sticky monkey flowers are adorable.
    I can't believe how much the scenery changes just a few miles inland!
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We might have had June Gloom here the last week. Then a rainstorm changed everything. Mid 90s since then. It's HOT. The A/C's running all day long and into the night.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You found a great variety of blooms on your hike. We don't have June gloom, we just march right into sticky hot summer.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Despite June Gloom some pretty flowers there ~ lovely series of photos with your different hike ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Being fair skinned and follically challenged, at least on top, I enjoy summer "gloom" days.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love everlasting flower. I don't think I have seen the white one before.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  31. With that sort of temperature spread I see why you like June Gloom. (Around here we call those temperatures "winter".)

    You certainly hit the flower jackpot! Lovely photographs.

    It's amazing how different some blooms look massed in the distance compared to a close up.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I had never heard of Pearly Everlasting but I looked it up and this indeed does look like it. Such a great set of flowers many of which I don't see here. I'm jealous of your 65 degree mornings. We won't be seeing that temp for another four months.

    ReplyDelete
  33. All beautiful plants and so unknown to many of us. Thanks for showing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Even in the June Gloom you have desert beauty. I love the Pearly Everlasting.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The flowers are all beautiful. I wouldn't mind a little 65 and overcast right now..

    ReplyDelete