Thursday, October 17, 2024

Milky Way over Heart Rock

 This will be my last Milky Way photo for 2024. I'm sad and happy at the same time. It's been a fun project and I daresay I've gotten a little better at taking pictures of the Milky Way. For me, practice doesn't make perfect, but practice makes better. 
 
By next month's new moon, the galactic center (brightest part) of the Milky Way will only be visible from about 7:30pm to 8pm, which is before the darkest night sky, bringing an end to what is sometimes called the "Milky Way season". A little after 8pm, the GC drops below the horizon. You can still take pictures of the MW... They just won't be as dramatic without the GC.
 
I thought long and hard about a location. I don't think I could possibly best last months photo of the Milky Way over Amboy Crater. The photo is memorable, and so was the experience, with our death march out to the crater in some of the hottest temperatures I've ever experienced. Then it struck me: What about Heart Rock? It fits my requirements of being a relatively short hike and something that isn't photographed often. Let me clarify that last sentence: Heart Rock is photographed a lot, but not often at night and rarely with the MW over head. When I did a Google search, I only found a couple photos of the MW over Heart Rock, and none in late season with a vertical MW, which is what I am hoping to capture. So off I went on a hot, late afternoon hike to Heart Rock in Joshua Tree National Park.
Hiking to Heart Rock I came across this silhouette of a sky watcher!
 
I anticipated only two potential problems (pretty good for MW photography, which is fraught with challenges). First potential problem is the alignment with the MW. I hadn't been out to Heart Rock in a while and was just going from memory. If I remember correctly, the compass heading when viewing Heart Rock is roughly south to SW. If my memory is off (wouldn't be the first time), then the MW won't align over the top of the heart. Second issue is crowds. Heart Rock is now extremely popular, with a marked trail leading to it and every couple that visits the park wanting their picture in front of it for an Instagram post. With camera, tripod, and LED lights set up, I might be in the way of others.
 
Fingers crossed, I hiked out to Heart Rock about an hour before sunset. The bad news is that it was still very hot (triple digits) and I was carrying a heavy pack. The good news is that it was still very hot (hardly any other hikers on the Heart Rock trail, so crowds shouldn't be an issue). 
 
As I arrived at Heart Rock, I was anxious to check the position of the Milky Way using the PhotoPills app on my phone. Yes!! PhotoPills shows the Milky Way will be directly over the top of the heart at about 8pm. Just what I was hoping for!
 
I have about 2 1/2 hours before the MW will be in position. First order of business: Find a shady spot and relax! It turns out the heart provided some of the best shade in the area. Take off my heavy pack. Drink fluids. Once rested and rehydrated, I decided to explore the area.
The Joshua Tree boulders have their own unique personality!
 
Heart Rock looks good from either direction. For the MW, I am shooting to the SW. The photo above is the opposite view (NE). This photo also shows how Heart Rock takes on a golden color in the late afternoon light. 
 
Sunset at Heart Rock
 
As the sun sets, it's time to set up my LED lights (L and R of the heart), camera and tripod, and start taking some foreground shots. Once the camera and tripod are set up, I can't move them.
 
7PM: Blue hour. It won't be long now!
 
Viola! The galactic center is directly above the cleft in the heart. As if the heart is so full, it's bursting with stars! Ya, I'm getting carried away, but it's always fun getting the result you were hoping for. There are many things that can go wrong when it comes to MW photography, so I feel extremely fortunate to have gotten this photo. 
 
Thanks for joining me on my last Milky Way adventure of 2024!!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

6 comments:

  1. ...you images are spellbinding!!! What a nose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll miss these. Your preparation is incredible and your technical expertise too with the lighting, which is well beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! ~ Fantastic heart rock photo with the Milky Way overhead ~ Great work! Other photos are awesome too ~ especially the BW Joshua Tree shapes photo ~ thanks for your awesome photography ~ hugs,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    clm ~ A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adventure. I love the final shot with the Milky Way - gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, that turned out great. Sorry Milky Way season is over, but at least you got some memorable photos from it. And there's always next year...

    ReplyDelete
  6. images and background of "heart stones" look so fantastic.....
    wish to visit it.

    ReplyDelete