Thursday, July 2, 2026

Strawberry Moon

 I happened to be out in the Joshua Tree area during the nearly full moon in June (AKA Strawberry Moon) so of course I had to make time for some photography! I was a day or two early, but to my eye, the moon looked pretty full. There's a large rock formation out near Ryan Ranch called "Headstone Rock", and that was my destination.
Headstone Rock is hard to miss. It juts up high above the Joshua trees, and is just a short hike from the main road. It's a massive boulder, and the pictures don't do it justice (unless you get lucky and get a photo that includes a crazy rock climber in the process of climbing it). In addition to trying to get a picture of the moon rising next to Headstone Rock, I also wanted to scope it out as a possible Milky Way foreground.
 
I decided to make this my home base. I like the way the Joshua trees frame Headstone Rock. I set up my tripod and didn't move it for the rest of the afternoon and evening. I was hoping the moon would rise adjacent to and over the top of Headstone Rock. And if I had the patience, I could get some shots later in the evening of stars overhead.
 
8:45PM: Well, not bad, but as the moon rose higher, it also moved off to the right, away from Headstone Rock. I guess that's why they call them "plans"! In this photo the moon looks more like a sunburst for some reason.
 
 
 
 
The two photos above: Strawberry Moon, June 2024
 
Not my best selfie. Weird diagonal horizon!
 
 
The stars never really made much of an appearance. Should be no suprise, since a full moon will make the stars much less visible. So I decided to head home, feeling satisfied with my Strawberry Moon photos. Driving through the park, I couldn't resist a little detour. Have you ever wondered what driving the backroads of Joshua Tree National Park would be like at night in an open air Jeep with a full moon? If you answered yes, be sure to check out my video below. What the heck, go ahead and watch it even if you didn't answer yes! Oh, and I don't drive the back roads this fast. The video speed is set to 2X.
Linking with Skywatch Friday.
Thanks for stopping by!!

47 comments:

  1. I love all your photos and how beautifully your frame the moon from all views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joshua trees are so unique and prehistoric looking--I find them fascinating! Sadly our sun and moons have been red because of multiple wildfire smoke in our air due to wildfires burning in Utah and parts of Colorado. We hope the predicted weather change of :El Nino weather: will bring rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pics, as usual! ♥ Well, maybe not the selfie, but it was kind of cool. ☺ And I enjoyed your video as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have created another very beautiful series. I find the photos with the moon and the Joshua trees particularly stunning.
    Fascinating drive through the darkness in Joshua Tree National Park.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...Mother Nature supplied you with some nice picture frames.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this journey to a place I would otherwise never see.....and the photos are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My fav photo is the last one. I am not sure if I articulate why with this or most photos, but there it is. I am glad that I am not responsible for driving there at night, or probably anytime for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The moon is artistically framed. Well done as always.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever seen a Strawberry moon, I've tried but it always seems to be cloudy here, have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some gorgeous moon shots. I like that name, Strawberry Moon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Didn´t see the moon in person but your photos are marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dark and desolate drive. But great pictures. Will that make a good Milky Way foreground?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your talent and your eye with us. These are beautiful art photographs. There are one or two that I would enjoy having on my wall and I could see them easily in a show or a gallery. This is excellent work. Thank you so much friend Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully captured! Joshua Tree is such a magical place for night photography, and these photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So great and impressive shot !
    Thanks for your comment in ma blog ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw phooey! I've run out of ways to say WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How gorgeous. I've always heard that the desert is the best place to see the moon.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awe! Saw these incredibly beautiful images earlier on FB and love them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful images as always. My favourite has to be 'The Beast' (Joshua Tree) trapping the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful photos... as always... and as I've come to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That drive? Kind of spooky.
    The sunburst moon is cool. But my favorites are where the moon is framed so beautifully with trees. I just haven't gotten very good at that yet! Lots of practice, it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't mind the absence of stars at all. Some nicely framed moon photos more than made up for this and I enjoyed your driving in the dark video. I was almost sorry it ended.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely stunning and creative photos of the Strawberry Moon, Peter and great selfie too ~ Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your dedicated preparation at Ryan Ranch truly paid off, as capturing the brilliant "sunburst" of the Strawberry Moon framing Headstone Rock makes for a spectacular visual! A stellar series of photos where the moon was framed so nicely with the landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the selfie. Those pictures are just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Schöne Bilder und das Video ist klasse.
    Gruß
    Noke

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is a great rock formation and your moon shots are all wonderful. I love all the different ways you framed it. Your selfie shot is a fun one too. I really enjoyed the ride through the desert. That was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love how you framed the moon in different settings! Great selfie!

    ReplyDelete

  29. The selfie is perfect!!
    The strawberry moon was quite visible and bright.
    Looking at the video, it seems like something could happen at any time… just like in a suspense/horror movie. : ))

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, such beauty again!!! If Ingo was healthy, off we would go! Just not at night! I am night-blind and even if not... kangaroos, sheep, cows.... no bullbar really helps then! ;-)
    But thank you for traveling back in my mind at least. Wish I could explore your place as well. We are so lucky, aren´t we? Please keep sharing. My heart always jumps in joy.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Brilliant photos with the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amazing series of photos, Moon pics just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Loved your moon shots, wonderful and I really like the one in the middle of the tree.
    Watched the video, obviously there are no big animals there to come out and stand in the middle of the road, or hop out across the road - is there? Here we have to be very careful when driving at night if there are lots of trees about or even not many in the back roads due to kangaroos jumping out.
    The area you photographed looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I expected to hear some coyotes yapping in the music for that video, or a herd of wild horses to appear, racing across the road way out in front. The photos are beautiful. As usual. The earth tilted as you selfied. Headstone Rock leans one direction, the Joshuas another.

    ReplyDelete
  35. You Nailed These Photos There Brother Parts - And Totally Dig The Selfie Action - Keep On Hiking About My Man And Enjoy Your Weekend With The Family

    Stay Groovy ,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  36. You framed these moon shots quite well. Nice to see you in the selfie!

    ReplyDelete
  37. The moon rising over Joshua Tree feels mystical in your shots.
    Even with the stars hiding, the desert light tells its own story.
    Loved reading about your drive under the full moon.
    Stunning photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I enjoyed the video. Good music, reminds me of Duane Eddy. Headstone Rock is interesting. I like the moon photos!

    ReplyDelete
  39. You got some really great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I remember going outside to see the Strawberry Moon, but it looked nothing like yours! I love how you frame the moon in your photos—I'm learning from you. 😊 Your drive looked so spooky, I felt like I was watching The Twilight Zone!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great pics again. I also saw the Strawberry Moon. But with my mobile the pics that I took weren´t sharp enough to be posted.
    Have a good time and thanks for your kind visit to my blog.
    Violetta

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great photos of the strawberry moon and the big rock. You are the maestro of astrophotography!! Spooky drive back in the dark.

    ReplyDelete