Thursday, July 23, 2026

The "Salt Flats" at Amboy Road

 I spent a hot afternoon and most of the evening in Amboy, CA recently. It's a fascinating area and I came home with my camera's memory card full of photos. I'll be sharing those photos over the next few posts.
Before leaving my desert house, I spotted this desert iguana. He was huge! About 12' nose to tail tip. Usually they are skittish, but this one stayed in this spot for about 10 minutes before finally moving. He looks fat and happy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
After about 50 minites of driving through the wide open desert from 29 Palms, you will come to the National Chloride Company. It's very remote: There is really nothing else out here, until you get to the "town" of Amboy. I've done no research on this company, or how chloride is made, but it's on my list of things to do.
 
The National Chloride Company operates on a huge dry lake, and the surrounding area looks like a lunar landscape. The soil (if that's what you can call it) looks odd. Not sandy, there's no vegetation, and with little pock holes and crusty irregularities that make for difficult walking. In some areas, it's white in color and looks like salt flats.
There are channels dug out throughout the area (although the channels themselves are mostly not visible from the road), and dirt from the channels form mounds you can see all over the dry lake. Very odd looking, like little mini pyramids. If you take the time to hike out to these mounds, and go over or around them to the opposite side, you will find something very surprising. 
 
 
 
The channels are full of water! Also surprising is the water seems to be flowing, and is a beautiful aqua color. On a hot day (and all summer days out here are scorching) you might think it's a desert mirage! You might be tempted to jump in!
I even discovered my own little island, although I couldn't find a way to get to it without a swim. And speaking of that, I wonder what kind of chemicals are in this water? Is it the chemicals that give the water a beautiful aqua color? And I wonder if the water is toxic? There's almost nothing growing next to the water, and I didn't see a single critter, not even a bird, near the water. Even if the water was safe, you would likely find the soil under the water to be soft and squishy. You would likely sink deep into the muck. You could slide down the steep bank for your swim, but you might find it's impossible to get back out!
 
Photo credit: Photographersnature (Wikipedia site)
I wish I could take credit for this photo. It occurred to me that this would be a wonderful location for sunset photography, and it even crossed my mind that a photo of the salt channels under the Milky Way could potentially be epic! But I also figured the good folks at the National Chloride Company probably wouldn't want me out here at night, and if I would trip and fall into a channel in the dead of night, it might be many days before my body was found!
 
This small minimalist structure is on the other side of the road from the National Chloride Company. It's been here a long time, and still looks to be in pretty good shape (at least from the outside). 

It appears the electrical wiring is long gone.
 
 
Elevated water storage tank?
 
Thanks for stopping by!! We've barely scratched the surface of what can be seen in and around Amboy, so stay tuned for future posts.
Liking with https://yogisden.us/.

56 comments:

  1. ...interesting landscape, but I'll stick with our lush landscape!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some years back I lived on a canal in south Florida. The backyard had a concrete retaining wall. I loved watching birds in the air and on the water. One day a huge iguana climbed out of the canal and sunned himself on the retaining wall for about 10 minutes. He must have been kin to the one you saw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange type landscape. From my pipeline construction days I can say that if there was much rainfall at all, those dirt mounds would be totally washed out and the canals would be mudded over.
    So you'll sleep with rattlesnakes in the desert but won't go for a little swim in the salt?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very surprising to see any water out there. I definitely wouldn't trust it to swim in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving your posts and pictures. I live in Las Vegas so I am used to the desert landscape but your pictures are really stunning. I love the iguana too. I've always wanted one as a pet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Top Shelf Captures As Always There Brother Parts - Didn't See The Channel Of Water On The Other Side Of The Pyramids Coming - So Looking Forward To The Rest Of The Adventure

    Keep looking Up ,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's an otherworldly vibe! The waterway looks like a canal flowing on some distant planet far from Earth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If memory serves correct, chloride is made by adding electricity to a salt water brine. As for the pyramids, I'm guessing they were one excavator arm's length from the next one. When they were digging the channel, they probably had a flat conveyor that they moved whenever the excavator had dug everything within reach and then moved it down to the next section and repeated, causing the mini pyramids.

    It really looks like a place I wouldn't want to be stranded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The iguana is awesome ~ great photo ~ the chloride plate is fascinating but also concerning too ~ great photos ~ Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic seeing the iguana! Beautiful photos! Thank you so much for sharing. I look forward to seeing more in your upcoming posts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The landscape has a dreamy, extraterrestrial quality --like a canal winding across a distant planet.
    Such beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Again, this amazes me. Great photography, I am like the man I heard say about piano playing, " I cannot play a piano, but I can sure tell if you can or not! Thanks for an education in pictures. In Cuba we had Iguanas that would come around our tables in an outdoor restaurant, begging for food like cats and dogs do here in the south; but they were mostly about 3ft in length.
    Thanks my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for venturing out and showing and sharing us these images.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is an interesting place. Stark landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Veronica Lee (above) says it for me! Like another planet! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos, so much atmosphere. You expect dark things to happen.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. That fat desert iguana looks like he's living his absolute best life out there! Incredible photos of such a surreal spot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a healthy looking Inguana. Interesting place there, and I guess that canal is not good to swim in with all the chemicals and whatever it may hold. A thriving town once but not anymore.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yep! First thing that came to my mind after seeing water if it was potable. Doesn't look so from the tones. Great images meanwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The elevated water tank is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those turquoise colors of the water are really special. What a mysterious landscape with those canals. From the satellite, it creates a distinctive scar in the landscape.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I’ve seen that colour water before at a nuclear storage facility, would not swim in that either

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so unusual, and somebody sure got a dazzling sunset photo.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a captivating dive into the desert; your eye for detail—from that magnificent iguana to the mysterious, vibrant aqua channels—makes this journey feel like exploring another worldly frontier. I love the great play with light and shadow with the water tower supports.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is the most interesting post I've ever seen. It looks so desolate yet so beautiful in a way. What a great place for minimalistic photography. The photo with the jeep is outstanding!

    I wonder if you could get permission to photo the Milky Way over that canal. It would be epic.
    I'll have to look up how that chemical company operates also. It would be interesting to find out.

    Great discovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It would be worth a try to get permission to do some night photography next to the salt canals. Next time I'm in the area I'll ask!

      Delete
  26. Great photos! Love the iguana. That is a ....strange place, but visually interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! You find the most interesting places.

    ReplyDelete
  28. How interesting. I would love to do research on this too and how nice to take photos. Not sure about that water though. I am surprised around here at how many birds can be in one pond and not in others. It's a mystery. Enjoy your adventures! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  29. I did some research and it is a natural national landmark...since 1973 and it was listed on ebay a few years ago. That's pretty wild! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty wild. Thanks for taking the time to look it up!

      Delete
  30. Captivating post.
    The landscape looks so unusual.
    Amazing to see the big iguana, especially from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The environment in this area is truly barren and moon like, and the running through the channels was a surprise to see! There are small lakes near where I live that sare called the Soda Lakes and they have the same light blue/turquoise color from the calcioum carbonate in the water. Thye are surrounded by a beach like shore. They are very popular with paddle boarders on a hot day!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That desert iguana is big! I did a Google search and came across one of your blog posts from 2015 where you did some B&W photography there. Wonder if anything has changed since then? I also quickly researched the National Chloride company and I don't think I would want to walk or swim anywhere on their premises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your research, Alana. I figure there's got to be a reason no plants or animals get near that canal water!

      Delete
  33. Happy you dropped by my blov
    Have a nice weekend

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow it does looks so very dry and I never would have imagined that the 'soil' there would be difficult to walk on. I also never would have imagined a river running through the place. Those hills on the side look very interesting and so uniformly shaped.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow that is one strange environment you ran across. I love water but I wouldn't stick a toe in that. Wonder what's in it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Interesting and scary at the same time! Stay safe and keep sharing your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a great environment to explore again.

    ReplyDelete
  38. How curious and interesting. I wonder if I've ever seen this spot on one of those flights to John Wayne. I Googled it and saw photos where the water in the channel was bright green. It also makes me curious as where the water is coming from and where it's going. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  39. An incredibly stark and fascinating landscape. I'm already looking forward to your images. Seems like almost unlimited possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Interesting pictures. The rows of pyramids look so weird!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Such a beautiful desert iguana. An impressive sight for you to see. I did some research and although you photos depict beauty in the colour of the water and what the unusual ridges were hiding, it doesn't seem a very healthy place to be. I love the image of the desert through the window.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This canal, this landscape is very special indeed, never seen before. I read with great interest.
    Thank you for sharing.

    Greetings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  43. That is one huge iguana! I feel like I have been near those Salt Flats, is that somewhere near the Mule Team Borax area. They sure leave some unique piles and pits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Borax area is somewhere in Death Valley, so a little distance from this location.

      Delete
  44. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  45. We've driven by signs to Amboy when we take the loop down to old Rte 66, but have never had the nerve to follow through on our curiosity. Usually it's late, and we have animals , etc. etc. etc. I had the Rte. 66 Assn web page bookmarked, and it's interesting (https://route66ca.org/amboy/), but keep thinking "next time." I'm pretty sure the chloride involved is food-grade and that these are evaporation ponds for table salt, but I'm looking forward to seeing what you find out.

    ReplyDelete