Thursday, August 27, 2026

Milky Way over Cadiz Dunes

 Well, I'm still alive, and I've learned my lesson! That lesson being that even with plenty of water and limited exertion, exposure time to high heat is critical. On my last post, we had made it to Cadiz Dunes, but I was feeling poorly from heat exhaustion. Because the temperature stayed so hot into the evening, my recovery was slow. 
Cadiz Dunes Rd., looking east.
I didn't want to set up my tent, but I forced myself into action. My head was pounding and I was feeling nauseous. I don't always use a tent, but it can get buggy here (bugs in the air and critters on the ground), and I knew I would sleep better in a tent.
Thunderheads on the horizon.
Scorpions are all over the place out here, and I didn't want to wake up with one in my sleeping bag! That's where a tent comes in handy.
 
Up to the dunes we go! We really did no preplanning, so it's "lets walk until we see something interesting!" I don't recommend this approach. The white area is sand being lit up by our headlamps. Unknown to me, one of the lights in my backpack was accidentally activated, so my backpack is glowing! That's Mitch to my right. Nadine took the photo.
 
First Milky Way attempt. It looks like the surface of the moon! I definitely need to do a better job lighting the foreground.
 
That's better. Now let's work on the sky detail.
 
My personal favorite.
 
I walk across the dunes about 30 yards for a different view.
 
We get back to camp, I climb into my tent and turn on my battery operated fan. Much too hot for a sleeping bag. I have a sheet, but I don't use it. My head hits the pillow and I fall into a deep sleep. I wake up early the next morning and feel fine. We agree that next time we visit Cadiz Dunes, it won't be in summer, but I sure like those dark skies!!
 
Thanks for stopping by!!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

6 comments:

  1. A lesson learned and beautiful night shots.
    What more could a person want!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificent Photos ~ was it worth the high temps??? They are fantastic but concerned about your health ~ Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos, that you endured a lot to get.
    Glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning photos and I do like the ones of the Milky Way, I really must try and get one myself. Both my wife and I really suffered this year in the heat and at times I really felt exhausted from it how you made it in the desert like that I don't understand I doubt I would have fared too well

    ReplyDelete