Cadiz Dunes is one of the hottest desert areas in Southern CA. We wanted to go there for Milky Way photography, but couldn't get our schedules to align until mid-June. We knew it would be very hot. I was hoping for mid- to upper-90's, but 100 to 105 degrees was more likely for June. We wouldn't be doing much hiking (from the camping area to the dunes is only about 1/2 mile), so limited exertion. We would also be taking shade umbrellas, lots and lots of water, and multiple coolers filled with ice. We also had a portable fan and spritzer bottles, so we were well aware of the extreme heat dangers and were well prepared.
I think there's a little dust tornado in the center of the photo. A beautiful day for skywatching! |
Each day closer to our departure resulted in weather predictions rising by a degree or two. By the time our departure day finally arrived, weather predictions for the Cadiz Dunes area was up to a high of 111-115 degrees!! Wow, that's hot enough to make me worry. Should we cancel? We've put so much time and effort into preparing that we don't want to consider that option.
As I was pulling into Amboy on old Route 66 (who knew I would be back in Amboy so soon??), the most amazing thing happened. Right in front of me was an airplane on the highway, slowly taxiing down the road! Thinking that the heat exhaustion was already kicking in, I rubbed my eyes and did a double-take. Sure enough, a small plane taxiing down Route 66!! I was able to capture just a bit of it as the pilot turned the plane and parked next to the Roy's sign.
| "Dusty", my open-air Jeep on Route 66 just before the Cadiz turnoff. |
Even with the tires aired down, driving these washboard roads is a teeth-rattling adventure!
Finally we arrive at Cadiz Dunes Road turnoff. Can you see the dunes? At this point, the road looks like packed sand and an easy drive, but don't let that fool you! It quickly turns to soft sand, and there are a number of reports of people getting stuck here. Best to have 4WD and good ground clearance if you plan to visit the dunes. I tried to take a video but my phone was overheating so it didn't record.
We set up shade quickly. I was already feeling a little "off" and was anxious to just sit in the shade and drink fluids.
Mitch offered to bring a large salad with all the fixin's for dinner, which was really nice (and delicious!). I was giving him a hard time about bringing a tablecloth! I brought a freshly baked loaf of bread and Nadine provided dessert.
Creosote is the dominant plant species in the area. It's interesting how their roots stabilize the soil. Over time, the sandy soil that's not stabilized blows away, leaving behind the creosote bushes on hillocks or mounds.
![]() |
| Mitch's car thermometer. |
We set up shade quickly. I was already feeling a little "off" and was anxious to just sit in the shade and drink fluids.
Mitch offered to bring a large salad with all the fixin's for dinner, which was really nice (and delicious!). I was giving him a hard time about bringing a tablecloth! I brought a freshly baked loaf of bread and Nadine provided dessert.
| Thirsty soil. |
Creosote is the dominant plant species in the area. It's interesting how their roots stabilize the soil. Over time, the sandy soil that's not stabilized blows away, leaving behind the creosote bushes on hillocks or mounds.
We have eaten an early dinner with the idea of exploring the dunes and scouting good locations for Milky Way photos, but none of us are feeling very energetic in this heat. I'm feeling downright crummy, with nausea and a headache, and it occurs to me that I probably have heat exhaustion. It kind of snuck up on me very gradually. It's a good learning experience. I was always under the impression that if I continue to hydrate adequately and not over-exert, I'll be fine. But as I read up on heat exhaustion and heat stroke, there's more to it than that. In addition to adequate hydration, you need to limit your exposure time. The longer your exposure time, the more likely you are to "catch" it. The long drive in an open air Jeep with no AC was a big factor. OK, lesson learned. I do eventually make it to the dunes in the evening, but without any scouting or preparation completed, and still feeling crummy.
This is a good stopping point. Drop by next week for the conclusion of our adventure.
PS: We all make it back alive!
Thanks for stopping by!!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.


I wonder what caused the plane to land there. Planned or from necessity. Dry, dry, dry temps are increasingly unlivable in some places. I got thirsty just reading this post!!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for taking your readers along on this tour. Wonderful photos.
ReplyDeleteI know you know the desert and how to deal with heat. I am glad there were others with you also. I would have stayed home, but then again, I'm not familiar with the desert and that sort of heat.
ReplyDeleteWow. What an adventure so far!
Great photos and I enjoyed the plane too.
ReplyDeleteGreat motel sign.
ReplyDeleteI was wondering how being in the heat for so long would affect you and I guess that it did. I know the older I am the more cautious I have to be because it does catch up with you.
ReplyDeleteWow! You are your friends go to great lengths to get photos! I hate hot weather so it would be a no go for me.
ReplyDeleteCant Wait For The Next Installment - What An Adventure And So Dig Those Umbrellas
ReplyDeleteParty On ,
Cheers