Thursday, October 8, 2026

The "Real" Hall of Horrors!!

 Way back in the summer of 2021, I hiked the area in Joshua Tree National Park called "The Hall of Horrors" for the first time (to see the post, click here). I was there to try and find an arch called "Triumph Arch", but I couldn't help wondering about the scary name. After successfully finding the arch, looked around for the Hall of Horrors, but was unable to find it. I headed home and did a little research. It turns out, hidden deep in the rocks is a long, narrow, high-walled "hallway." It's a fun challenge for rock climbers (especially if they have Spiderman superpowers!), and it's where Hall of Horrors got its name. Rock climbers name many of the formations in the Park, and they come up with some that are pretty wild! Here are just a few examples:
  • A View to a Thrill
  • All Pain, No Gain
  • Anglosaxophone
  • Burnt Weenie Sandwich
  • Erotic Dome
  • Harpo Speaks
  • Just Plain Stupid
  • Mulligan Slab 
  • Tilt-O-Meter 
You get the idea. There are literally thousands of these names throughout the Park. Check out the excellent reference Joshua Tree Bouldering by Robert Miramontes.
 
Oh, and if you're claustrophobic, Hall of Horrors is best avoided!
Triumph Arch and a random climber who joined me for a few minutes as we explored the arch (2021).
 
So here I am again, 5 years later. What took me so long to return?? I decided on this visit, I would try to find the Hall of Horrors, but my main objective was to take some sunset photos and then stay for the Milky Way. This time I did some research and had a pretty good idea as to the location. Reviews of the Hall of Horrors mentioned it's hard to find, and a number of people were discouraged after hours of looking. People also said that if you do find it, it's difficult to get into. A number of people mentioned having to squeeze through some tight boulder spaces. I gave myself a 50/50 chance at best (I'm too old to squeeze through much of anything!!). Let's go see what we can find.
 
This rock formation looks like it melted under the sun!
 
Giant egg-shaped rock along the trail.
 
A rare opportunity to enjoy some shade.
 
 
 
We must be getting close. This climber's marker identifies the Hall of Horrors as straight ahead, somewhere in the rocky boulders. Why "real" Hall of Horrors? Is there a fake?? Accept no substitutes!!
This is the second arrow in the sand I come across in my search. It's taking some of the fun out of it, making it a little too easy. I climb past the Nolina bush, get on top of that big flat boulder, and from there I can see the Hall of Horrors. It's really amazing!
The Hall is impressively long and very high. It's narrow, but not oppressively so. My problem is there's a large boulder blocking the entrance to the Hall (not shown in the photo). I try squeezing under some rocks, which isn't too bad, but then there's a second area to squeeze under that is just too small. If you're a small, petite, flexible person, no problem. But I'm not small, or petite, or flexible! And the thought of getting stuck under boulders on a solo hike scares me enough that I don't make the attempt. I backtrack to where I started, and it looks like the only other way into the Hall is over the top of the boulder. I estimate it would be 6-7' down the smooth face of the bolder before a landing that I can't see. But the bigger issue it how to get back out of the Hall?? Climbing back up the smooth boulder may not be possible.
Photo credit: Flying Dawn Marie
This photo (which I came across after my hike) shows the boulder blocking the Hall of Horrors from the inside. You can see the area on the lower left that some petite people said they squeezed through. It's smaller than it looks from this view. From the top of the boulder (where the woman is standing), that little ledge in the boulder isn't visible. Also, I don't recall seeing the rocks at the base of the boulder. From this view, it looks like you could perhaps slide down a short distance on your tummy and catch that ledge with your foot. Likewise, it might give you footing for the climb out. Maybe another time when I'm hiking with a partner!
Photo credit: Aarika Chilson
My research turns up the fact that there is a second, narrower Hall of Horrors that runs parallel to the "Real" Hall of Horrors. Nope, no way would I even consider it!
Photo credit: www.pinterest.com.pin214695107214087598
If you're a rock climber, I guess you can do crazy stuff like this!!
 
Thanks for stopping by!!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.
 
PS: I'll be posting sunset and night photos from this hike in the future. 

30 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This is amazing. A real hall of horrors paralleled by a second even more horrifying hall of horrors. I'm glad you didn't try it on your own. Rock climbers are kind of my heroes. They really are strong and flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah in my younger days, now Im like you, still worth a go

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I wouldn't attempt to go in there solo either. Way too narrow. Impressive looking, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rock formations seem as if they could spring to life at any moment. I get claustrophobic just looking at that narrow passage way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The second hall just about chills me on site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go on amazing adventures and thanks for letting me tag along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Je ne me lasse pas de ce paysage (kwarkito)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah--- yer jest a kid at heart! Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is not the place for claustrophobic people. The boulders are wonderful and the last image is such a fun photo.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful boulder pics. Interesting to read the story behind naming

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness what a narrow area. Certainly wonderful boulders and a good area to explore. Thanks for the link - had a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning views, Awesome clicks. Enjoying your post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting and some really neat rock formations. I wouldn't dare squeeze through some of those pathways though. I'd be so scared to get stuck and never get out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My perspective has changed on what or what I won't do when out hiking thanks to Aaron Ralston.

    I have named many a route on my hikes in the Boston mountain of Arkansas but I doubt they will ever get famous enough for others to refer to them as such.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh such wonderful adventures! This would be fun to explore with someone who has good knowledge of getting in and out of places like this. I love unique rock 'anything'.
    Definitely not a place to try on your own being solo. Bring a friend for sure!
    Wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, it's "horror" for me and my tired boans walking this way...

    ...therefore I admire your adventure in this area. And I enjoyed reading very much.
    Greetings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  17. That human ladder of climbers wedged between the canyon walls really captures the wild, adventurous spirit of Joshua Tree! Knowing when to play it safe on a solo trek is always the smartest move, but your photos and story bring us right along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the funny names! You are wise to not take chances when you’re by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great photos Peter ~ Hall of Horrors I will enjoy your photos ~ no desire to try visiting ~ Leave to the pros like you ~ Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful photos as always! The 3rd photo reminds me of Jabba the Hut.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoy reading your blog, so I'm happy you didn't attempt the Hall on a solo hike. I got a good laugh from some of the names. I'll pass on attempting this, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely love the adventures you manage! This one is particularly spectacular because of the variety of boulder arrangements available. Good on ya!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Your photos are amazing, Peter! Thank you so much for sharing your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such an interesting place. If I was still young and nimble I might give it a try as long as I wasn't alone. Your photos show just how narrow it is. I did enjoy that photo of the five people posting inside and somehow making it looks so easy. I love those "melted" rocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, those rocks are really something else to see. Loved the pictures of them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting to people in these formations. I prefer regular hiking - no squeezing myself involved. lol

    ReplyDelete