Thursday, October 1, 2026

Weekend Sports Under Beautiful Skies

 It was a very busy weekend, with our granddaughter being so involved with sports. She's on a flag football team, a signature soccer team, and a starting player on her school soccer team. I'm a full-time driving service and on the sidelines cheering her on. Getting her to all her games and practices is a full time job! On the one hand, youth sports is awesome. It keeps 'em busy and out of trouble. It helps kids understand how to work as a team and the importance of practice and commitment. And it keeps them in excellent physical conditon. On the other hand, as the parent/gardian, it swallows up my desert adventure time. But that's OK. I love seeing her so involved and doing so well.
 
Friday night was flag football under the lights. She's brand new to flag football, but in our area at least, it has gotten extremely popular very quickly. I've even heard flag football teams will be competing in the next olympics! It's been a tough season so far because she's on a newly formed team with quite a few of the players having never played before. It turns out that most of the teams have girls that have played together, and had the same coach, for multiple seasons. They are excellent, experienced players, and Lilly's team is 0-3 with lopsided scores. She's competitive by nature and doesn't like to lose. Oh well, if you're going to play sports, you have to learn how to lose graciously and how to improve as a team by learning from you losses. They get better every week.
Flag football under Friday night lights, and a gorgeous full moon. This phone camera shot doesn't do it justice at all.
 
Lilly had soccer games Saturday and Sunday. During Sunday's game, she was sharing the field with Canadian Geese!
It appears the geese are helping our goalie make sure the other team doesn't score!!
 
Lilly is #23. At this age, these girls kick the ball HARD, and I was worried a goose might get injured. Fortunately they eventually wandered off the field and no geese were hurt, although there were a couple close calls!
 
Parents in the foreground. Geese in the background and finally off the field. The sky was exceptionally pretty during Sunday's game!
Sunset from my front porch on Sunday. One of the prettiest I've seen in a while!
 
My wife spotted and photographed what I think is called a "sun dog". Google tells me that a sun dogs is a bright, colorful patch of light. For whatever reason, it's always seen about 22 degrees to the left or right of the sun. Ice in the atmosphere acts as a prism to produce the colors, but only during certain precise conditions. Sun dogs are rare and don't last long. And I have no idea where the name comes from. Have you ever seen a sun dog? By the time I started looking, it was gone. Glad my wife got the photo!
 
Thanks for stopping by!!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

1 comment:

  1. I admire your granddaughter for getting into sports and being a literal team player. I've not heard of a "sun dog" before but I do love the surreal rainbow smug it created.

    ReplyDelete