Thursday, March 1, 2018

Caves & Alcoves

Today we're heading east on Highway 62 to check out some of the weird rock formations in the NE section of Joshua Tree National Park. I should qualify my statement... one little tiny speck of this section of the Park. It's huge, and we're just seeing a little tiny piece. A rice grain. I've posted in the past about this area here and here.
We will zip past the "Next Service" sign (yes, the tank is full!) and head east through mostly open, uninhabited desert for just under 40 miles. It's a beautiful drive if you like desert scenery!

Here's our destination: Remote, rugged, beautiful... it's a jumble of rocks and boulders of every size and shape imaginable.


I love the way the boulder formations have weathered over geologic time. It's not unusual to find alcoves and small caves in rocky areas of JTNP, but in this area they seem to be even more abundant.

Many of these alcoves and caves are high up in the rocks and difficult or impossible to get to. Especially true since I am hiking alone today and it could be weeks or months before anyone finds my dessicated body! (not true, since my wife knows exactly where I'm hiking ☺).

 Multiple alcoves at the base of this rock formation.

Sharp-tooth rock? I wasn't able to climb up to this alcove.

Can you spot the alcove? This one looks like I might be able to climb up and take a closer look.

Definitely a good-sized alcove.

Here's the view from inside, looking out. Nice!!!

 Interesting rock formation, with a sharp-looking "beak rock" on the left and an alcove on the right.

 Close up of "bird's beak rock".

Close up of the rocky alcove. Another one that was too high to explore, but I lugged this dang telephoto lens with me on my hike today so I might as well use it!!

View looking out from a small cave.

Weird pointy rocks.

These rocks all seem to be wearing necklaces!!
  
Arrowhead-shaped opening.
  
Talk about weird? Hood-shaped rock sticking out of the ground. Can't even imagine how this was formed. Do the gremlins come out at night and play stick ball here??

I'll leave you with one final shot from inside yet another rocky alcove in the area.

No, wait, scratch that. Passed this arrow-straight dirt road on my drive home on Highway 62. Couldn't resist turning the Jeep around to take this photo. Sheep Hole Mountains in the background. Yet another mysterious desert road leading to who knows where?!!

Super-thankful to be able to explore and photograph these remote, interesting locations!

Linking with Thankful Thursday and Skywatch Friday.
Thanks for stopping by!!

46 comments:

  1. Wow! Awesome country and magnificent photography ~ rock formations are amazing and favorites are the ones looking out from inside! Beautiful!

    Happy Weekend to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...wow, these are so DRAMATIC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of these pictures. My husband and I have done some hiking out west and he, especially, loves the area. Gorgeous views in your photos! Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! It makes us all wish we had a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get out on an adventure. I love the rocks with necklaces! Stay safe...but have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful shots--- as they always are. But-- the B@W shot with the 100 mile warning is very impressive. I love how you've brought out the character of this shot. I tend to think cinematically-- for better or for worse. Great stories to tell here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful -those rocks seem alive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great place for a geology field trip! Your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Great shots! Love the monochromes. Pretty times :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such an intrepid explorer. Lots and lots of alcoves on your trip. Surely there were ancient ones who used them.
    And you are in such a snake paradise. Do you see any in your ventures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alan. Nope, no snakes. Actually, they are pretty uncommon and I rarely see them. However, I'm always careful before climbing into an alcove or cave!!

      Delete
  10. Those are most certainly unique shaped rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Truly Amazing. Great pics. Loved both color & monochrome clicks.
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The glorious blue in the sky as well as the trails left there really complement the rock formations. Very interesting and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing scenes. Some of those rocks do seem to defy any attempt to explain their formation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great as always and then to think that it is here -15 C for the feeling, gives the desert an extra boost.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How extraordinary to see those rock necklaces! I love all the views from inside the caves! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm almost speechless...glorious set of images!! Superb B&W, lush color shots [especially the inside looking out]...kudos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is spectacular. Incredibly beautiful. Do the tourists even get to see this? Is this in the brochure?

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, and no, the tourists don't see this. This part of Joshua Tree National Park is designated "wilderness area"... no roads or even trails, so not many visitors.

      Delete
  18. What a wonderful play to explore, I am very envious

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a stunning region, fantastic to see all those rock formation under the wonderful blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the photos, but it must be extraordinary in person!

    ReplyDelete
  21. May I go "60's" on you? Oh wow, far out? These photos are all stunning, especially the black and white captures. I saw an eagle in bird beak rock. Thank you for sharing (and for trusting that your wife will report you if you go missing....)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some amazing shapes! My favorites are the views looking out from under the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Pete! Some amazing scenery and totally gorgeous photos of it. Mother Nature is quite the artist... I wait to go there (with you hopefully).

    ReplyDelete
  24. If that's a Sharp Tooth Rock, that tooth has quite a cavity! And as long as I am on a tooth theme, many of the pictures appear to me as teeth with the gums worn away ... ooh.

    The views from inside the alcoves/caves are stunning - I would have been concerned about finding some animals in there!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic!!!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very beautiful pictures ! I like rocky landscapes !

    ReplyDelete
  27. Heisann, fantastic landscape, I love the formations. Thanks guiding us!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dramatic and surreal. As always. It really looks like a fun hike. I'll be seeing similar terrain soon. We're going to Utah in a few months. I can't wait. I love red rock country.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for bringing me along. Loved every shot. Particularly the two scape shots out of those alcoves.

    Wonderful what Mother does with her toys.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The landscape is stunning and I can see why the rock was named after a bird too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fantastic landscap! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those are amazing landscapes and beautiful skies! I love the rock formations.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for sharing your great photos of an awesome place. Seeing the sights through your photos has me wanting to get my knees done sooner than later so I can explore this place.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Really great photos, colourful and black and white I like it so much!
    Greetings
    Kirsi

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great rock formations! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  36. And I am super thankful that you share them. That last photo makes me want to go on a roadtrip, but it would be a lont time before I'd see that amazing desert scenery. So beautiful. I've never seen anything like those necklace rocks, but if we're ever lucky enough to get to the desert again I will watch for them. Fascinating. All the pictures are beyond great, but my favorites are the ones looking out from inside the 'caves. Thanks so much for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  37. can´t help it but love those rocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the dreamy sky of the first shot

    ReplyDelete
  39. Stunning desert shots, wonderful !

    ReplyDelete