Thursday, June 28, 2018

After the Sun Sets but Before the Stars

Greetings!! These photos are from my return hike from Broken Nose Alcove a couple weeks ago. The sun had set, which makes for a photography challenge (no shadows/flat light). Also, as it starts to get dark in the rocky desert terrain, it's imperative to watch your footing to avoid a bad fall (vs. paying no attention to your footing and concentrating on how to frame up that next shot, which is my usual mode!).
Sometimes it's not obvious to me why I took a particular photo when I go back and review shots. There's a direct relationship between the amount of time that has passed since the photo was taken and the degree of difficulty recalling why I took it in the first place! Anyway, I recall being impressed by this HUGE boulder and the sky colors in the background. It was much more impressive in person, but you get the idea!

The rocky, otherworldly terrain in the area. It makes hiking in a straight line impossible! It also means that when one path turns out to be a dead end or unpassable, you try another route. It always makes me wonder what I might find behind the next rock!

Cheating a bit on this one (and on the last photo as well). I used a moon "texture" layered over the top of the original photo. I'm a sucker for big moons over desert landscapes!

A "real moon" shot... this is what the moon looked like during the hike.

I took this shot because I liked the sky color, the red barrel cactus, and the rocks. The rock in the foreground and also the one behind the green bush were very different from others in the area, and reminded me of huge pieces of petrified wood. I don't think they really were petrified wood, but they had that look. By the way, the green bush is Cat's Claw. If you rub up against it, there will be blood!

I like this photo because you can clearly see Broken Nose Alcove in the rock formation. We were climbing around inside that alcove last week!


One of my favorite shots. I like how the Mojave Yucca is isolated in the photo and seems to be enjoying a beautiful view south toward the Pinto Basin.


Crescent moon close-up.

Linking with Skywatch Friday.
Thanks for stopping by!!

PS: A big thank you to the nice comments last week, and especially those about concern for my safety. Safety first, always! And while there is a degree of risk in just about everything we do, I always do whatever I can to keep it to a minimum.

42 comments:

  1. Wow - great colors in the sky, the ground and rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing landscape, but good god, you want to watch yourself there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots, expertly framed and edited. Such textures, shapes, and colors are beautiful. I love that you have fun exploring out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots of this quite dangerous looking hike again, Peter.
    The colours in the sky are awesome and the rocky landscape looks so very impressive and almost unreal for a Dutchman living between soft, green meadows and lakes. Cheeting with the moon takes it just a little over the top, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great series of shots. Your last composite looks like a classic desert painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. More great images. I am green with envy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That crescent moon is spectacular. I like all of your photos because I love desert scenery (not much of that in Western Canada) but the crescent moon is special. Like an unexpected gift from an unexpected source.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are not the only one when you encounter difficulty recalling the purpose of the shot. I have been in that position many many times considering I take a whole lot of photos of one spot.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the post. Stunning views. Great pics.
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What can I say, the photos are stunning like the landscape you took, it is a privalage to see them

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super skinny moon shot. I like your adventures at Broken Nose
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your report is awesome, you must have had great fun.
    That thin slice of crescent moon is really well done!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny how good the colors are blending together in that desert landscape with that red stony overall color. I like it very much and thank you for showing it to us every time with another view.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spectacular shots, as always. I loved the "real" moon shots especially your "thin" moon. Amazing detail.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow! I always love visiting your blog. Feels like I've landed on the moon. Your large boulder is impressive but I love the first image with the sickle moon. I love the penultimate image and I positively swooned at the last image. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day. Greetings Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great set of images. Thank you for sharing your world with us. Have a blessed week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, I would think being careful hiking in the desert is first priority. I am glad you make in and out. The landscapes are beautiful and I like the red barrel cactus. I love your moon edits, they are lovely. Great series of images. Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice shots and commentary.

    You do your arty stuff goodly. Kudos

    I so wish I could hike with ya

    ReplyDelete
  19. All wonderful... I especially love the one with the red barrel cactus popping out .... and the very last picture is my favorite of all... captures the meditative way I felt when we were in the general area (but not fortunately hiking alone at dusk... a good thing because I’d never make it ...). I’m glad you can and that you share. Thanks. I will be back to catch up on all I missed while we were traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you are keeping safe when 'trekking' ~ gorgeous sky shots ~ lovely sunset and moon captures!

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful photos of a stunning landscape. Thanks for taking us along.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. After the sun goes down, but before it is really dark is the "blue hour." It is not an hour lasting only ten to fifteen minutes. It is a special time for photographers, as your work clearly shows. BTW, the photo of the Buick I posted today is not a Roadmaster, but a Special. Note only three holes in the front fender, not the four of the Roadmaster.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the added moon to the desert shot. Beautiful. I enjoyed your hike down from Broken Nose Alcove.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous! I love what you did with the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing views indeed, and a great moon!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes, safety first and maybe a nod toward the name Broken Nose. Simply gorgeous layered or not and another incredible moon shot which I've yet to capture. Love the artist filter at the end and the idea that the yucca is enjoying the view.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful photos. I love what you did with the moon too. By the way, I'm wondering if that Cat's Claw is the same plant that is sold in health food stores (in different form of course). I'm glad you take care out there and make sure you stay safe. Have an awesome weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You always take great photos! Those rocks really look beautiful in different lights.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The lighting in your photos is awesome, the perfect time of day to really bring out the hidden colors of the rock. I like the overlay of the giant moon, I too enjoy that other worldly look.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful place! I would miss most of the beauty because I would not be able to walk more than two feet before I have to look down. I am notoriously clumsy and sprain my ankles at least one a year. But how gorgeous! Love the colors in those rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  31. All are beautiful photographs. My two favorites are the moon barrel cactus and the Mojave Yucca. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's a pretty cool sunset and moon. I really like how the crescent moon is hanging over the yucca. It reminds me of the South Carolina state flag.

    ReplyDelete
  33. my feet would probably not like this place :( To stony for me to hike. Love your artwork :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. How I love joining you on your adventures - from my armchair! Wonderful colours and alien shapes; it's difficult for me to grasp the scale of this landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for supporting my very first link-up! Your desert adventures are a great addition. I also love a good moon shot. Your sunset photos are beautiful this week. As always.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You really took advantage of the soft lighting. The colors are beautiful.
    It looks like a very rough place. I don't know exactly where that area is, but I'm betting you don't see many people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I enjoyed over read your blog post.
    Your blog have nice information, I got good idea from this amazing blog.
    I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again…
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete