Thursday, June 21, 2018

Broken Nose Alcove (Part II)

So just to be clear, I didn't break my nose on this hike (although I very nearly broke my phone, but I'm getting ahead of myself). To recap, I took you on a hike to "broken nose rock" last week. The nose-shaped rock appears to have split off from an adjacent section of rock.
As we were exploring the area, we discovered a very large and interesting alcove on the opposite side of nose rock. Our dilemma, as you might recall, was how to get up and into the alcove. Because of the 8-10' of sheer vertical rock below the alcove, we couldn't climb in from the front. We were also running out of daylight, so we had to be content with our discovery, and photographing Broken Nose Alcove from a distance. 

Here's a close up of the nose. After careful consideration, it looks like the safest way in (if indeed there is a way in) would be to hike up to the nose, squeeze through the space behind the nose, and then drop into the alcove from above. Ya, I know, it sounds crazy. But that's the only way I can see to get into the alcove. Who's with me??

Follow the white line to see what I am proposing. So off we go on hike #2 to Broken Nose Alcove with our goal today to find a way in! It's a warm day (mid to upper 80's) but we are well hydrated and carrying plenty of water, and have told loved ones exactly where we will be hiking (including GPS coordinates).

As we hike up to the nose, we want to see if there is a way to get up on the rock where you see the X. The big rock in front makes it hard to see what our approach will be, but as we get closer, it becomes obvious that this isn't going to work. The rock with the X is straight up and down and too large to climb. Bummer. So let's look for other options. Climbing around the front of the nose is a dead end. But just underneath the point of the nose is a rocky tunnel leading to an opening that looks like it might lead to the back of the nose. However, the opening is only about 2.5' in diameter and will require crawling on all four limbs. Not something these old bones have done in a while! A challenge to be sure, and I'm not even sure I will fit!! The thought briefly goes through my mind... what if I were to get stuck? Would anyone ever find me, or would I just be another lost hiker statistic?? I take my pack off, and proceed to crawl through the small opening. Success! Sweating profusely, I reach back for my pack and proceed on.

I wish I would have taken the time to get some photos of the rocky cave and small opening we just crawled through, but I was way too focused on the climb itself. But here's were we ended up after all that work. We now have nose rock behind us and the alcove below us. We have to climb down this notch and drop down on the rock below. Most importantly, we have to be certain we can climb back up later to avoid getting stuck in the alcove!

Success!!!!! High-fives all around! The first thing I notice is we're not the first to find a way into this alcove. I don't notice any human footprints, so it appears there have been no recent visitors. But the little rocky creation (center) has been made by human hands. There's also an old rusty can (not visible in this photo).


The alcove is quite deep in areas, and I can see a small patch of daylight way in the back of the alcove.

Inside the alcove things are quite spacious and comfortable (and noticeably cooler). I can stand up here without hitting my head, so 6' clearance with nice views!


 The alcove runs in an approximate east-west direction. This is the east end.

East end of the alcove, looking west.

Time to head out. We will need to get up on those rocks on the right of my hat and backpack, then pull ourselves up and out of the alcove. Fingers crossed!!

We make it out successfully, but while crawling and shimmying through the small rocky cave, I hear a "crack" sound. Oh cr*p, I probably broke the glass on my cell phone. But miraculously, no, my phone is still intact. I have no idea what the cracking sound was. Maybe my chiropractor can tell me!

We're done exploring the alcove and still have about an hour of daylight left, so let's keep exploring! One of the first things I spot is this nice rocky shelter. The boulders are huge, and this shelter is larger than it looks.

As we move on, a last look back at Broken Nose Alcove (side-view). It's always hard to achieve scale in desert photos, but the rocky wall in front of the alcove is nearly straight up and down and 6-8' high. Beyond my climbing ability!

As we continue to hike beyond the alcove in a northerly direction, the rocky formations are impressive!

The only problem with all these rocks is it makes the hike challenging. As we pick our way over and around the rocks going north, I decide to look for an easier way back on our return hike. I'm beat!


Now this is interesting! After following a rocky wash for quite a distance, we get to this lookout. The photo doesn't do it justice. It's a beautiful spot, and from here we can see the cars traveling down on Park Blvd. (center of the photo between the hills), which is the way we drove into the Park to begin this hike!

On the hike back, I marvel over this split-in-half boulder. It's huge... I would estimate 15' high, maybe more, at its highest point. What kind of forces could possibly spit a rock like this in half?? Hard to imagine.

We're almost home. I put a small arrow where our Jeep is. You will have to greatly enlarge the photo to see the Jeep. We will have to cross down into a wash and up the other side, but an easy hike compared to the rocks!


This was a fun hike, and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. It's not everyday you discover something as grand as the Broken Nose Alcove, and I have a real sense of accomplishment that we were able to find a way to get inside!

Linking up with Skywatch Friday.
Thanks for stopping by!!

45 comments:

  1. You do have some wonderful adventures---and exciting photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many cool shots! I have to put this on my list. Such a contrast to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Good for you.I am exhausted just reading about your adventures.You did get great pictures, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos of your marvelous adventure! ~ You must have a good back and strong legs!

    Happy Weekend coming to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd prefer finding a way to get out! But I read every word!
    Bravo, both of you. If I were your mother, however, I'd shake my finger at you and say, "Don't you ever do that again, do you hear?"
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like an exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wondering how the boulder splitted

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is truly an amazing part of this earth! You write so well that i read every word and article, even the punctuation marks. You heighten the excitement so well so it felt i was there with you. And i get the scare, which is probably just me if i were the one there! Oh how lovely, thanks for that adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh by the way i forgot, i didn't see who is with you!

      Delete
  9. What an interesting place to explore! That boulder did look like a broken nose--clever name for that location. The cave would make me believe Native Americans once took shelter there. Do you ever see rattlesnakes on your hikes--that would be one thing that would bother me because of all those rock hiding places you have to climb over and around. The broken boulder must have fell there from an explosion at one time? Maybe a million years ago? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m scared of heights and just admire your pluck and courage to scale these bald rocks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really likes your blog! You have shared the whole concept really well and very beautifully soulful read!Thanks for sharing.
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's an awesome looking alcove you found your way into. You do get into some tight situations ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a hiker, but these hikes of yours make me want to go for a hike.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome, some stunning photos. It is hard to get your head around the scale of what you were doing but I am well impressed

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an exploration and I am amazed that still on most of your photo's something green is coming out the rocks in this harsh environment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic post, Peter, I've enjoyed it from the beginning untill the end again. It's all very interesting, nut in this case I prefer the photos above the real thing. Wha a distance back to your car ... respect! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, I like the alcove. Looks like a cool area to explore. I often wonder if your see snakes during these hikes. Great series of photos. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

  18. I doubt very much I enjoyed it as much as you. I mean...visiting a broken nose, how cool is that.

    I'm of the opinion the whole park is actually a one-time playground for ancient, giant aliens, who dug those enormous rocks out of the ground to make fun art structures...like Legos. I'm stinking with that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning colours...beautiful images....happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've got to go rest---plenty tuckered out after all the hiking you took me through. Enjoyed it though
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. Just so awesome.
    Have you heard of Mudfossil University on YouTube? He is a chemical engineer ( I believe) who believes that these are literal mud fossils of living beings. He has even had them tested for DNA,etc. Not sure what I make of it all but, in light of watching a few of his videos I find this fascinating, whether he is right or not.
    Anyway, you take such great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! I'll check out Mudfossil University. Sounds interesting!

      Delete
  22. What an amazing adventure! Great that you made it and had fun.
    Happy Midsummer!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an amazing journey. Once you entered the alcove, the rock in front (photo #8) looks like a sleeping giant's head, amazing. Incredible place and great photos. Thanks for sharing your adventure, I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would never have been able to enter I think. You don´t mention what I emediately noticed.
    The sleeping person! I sew, Bill Burke mentioned it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not notice the "sleeping person" until you and Bill mentioned it. Pretty cool, and thanks for pointing it out!

      Delete
  25. Great adventure, but I admit, you scare me sometimes. But I keep reading the posts anyway. Please stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Thanks for taking us along. I would hold your backpack for you, but no way would I crawl around with you--sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very adventurous hike! But I prefer to just enjoy your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've enjoyed this hike! A bit more rugged than the hikes we take here in Florida! I just put your blog in my favs on my sidebar. I have to admit I look at your posts often just to stare at the photos and enjoy where you've been and don't always comment. I could do better! lol Enjoy your weekend! Too hot to hike in Florida this weekend! But we might take a drive!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for this wonderful hike.
    Through the photos we travel to incredible places.
    Many greetings
    Maria
    Divagar Sobre Tudo um Pouco

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ok, is the 'we' a journalistic 'we' or did you really have someone with you? Starting to worry about your adventures … I did have a bit of a giggle thinking about you squeezing behind the Broken Nose and causing it to slide forward and crash down onto the desert below - like the misfortunes that always seem to befall Scrat in the Ice Age movies. Ok, back to serious - lovely rock formations - thanks for sharing these remote (?) landscapes with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Angie, and I'm laughing about the Scrat/Ice Age comment. My granddaughter loves those movies! Anyway, yes, it's a journalistic 'we'. Kind of fun to pretend my blog reading friends are joining me on the hike! Not sure if it works, or just creates confusion. I really am careful on my hikes and try to stay well within my limits, although this one did push the boundary a bit!

      Delete
  31. Amaaaaaaazing images SP&P! When you said 'are you with me' when you started that climb I'm like NO, no I'm not with you 😀 I can totally see the appeal but prefer to experience it virtually through your eyes, merci beaucoup 😉

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very aptly named! Fantastic rock formations as always! Beautiful blue in that last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You did it! And captured it on film. I'm happy just to make it to the end of an easy trail. And I do love red rock trails. I wish I was back in Utah right now, planning our next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I enjoyed over read your blog post.
    Your blog have nice information, I got good idea from this amazing blog.
    I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again…
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  35. stopped by on 12-29-18.cool spot. ps your out of coffee . Terry

    ReplyDelete