Thursday, September 20, 2018

Dead Snake Shelter

Lilly (my granddaughter) and I were hiking recently in the Indian Cove area of Joshua Tree National Park.
It was another triple-digit summer day in the desert, so we waited until after dinner (around 6 PM) before starting our hike. It would be dark by 7:30 PM, so we had just a short window of time.

 Although it was still hot, we had pretty skies overhead, and Indian Cove is a great spot for a hike!

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the rock Lilly is standing next to looks like a big toe??! Wait, let me crop the image so we can get a closer look.
Hmmm, even cropped it still looks like a big toe to me!!

After hiking a short distance, we came across this cave or shelter. It's bigger than it looks. An adult (me at 6') can easily get around that round rock blocking the entrance, and the shelter is surprisingly large on the inside. I was excited to find it and was already focused on looking at the boulder walls for any sign of rock art when Lilly said "Look, Papa, a snake!" Dang if she wasn't right!!

On the ground in the middle of the shelter was a snake. And not just any snake, but a rattlesnake. I was surprised and a little spooked that he wasn't coiled and rattling. Actually, as I took a closer look, I thought he might be dead. I was so focused on looking at the rock walls for Native American art, I hadn't even seen the snake. Saved by a 5-year-old!!

After moving Lilly away from the shelter opening, I changed lenses and put on my telephoto lens. It was easy to see that the rattlesnake was alive... eyes open, head slightly up, and occasional tongue flicking. But something was wrong. Was he sick? Why wasn't he coiled and rattling? He didn't look healthy to me. I wonder what special significance Native Americans might attribute to finding a sick, near dead rattlesnake in a shelter like this? Bad spirits or some kind of negative omen?? That's what it felt like to me, and we made a hasty exit.
As Lilly and I hiked back to the Jeep, the skies were lighting up nicely. A great opportunity to capture some Skywatch shots!!




A short but beautiful hike. Thanks for stopping by!!
"Leave only footprints, take only pictures"

Linking with Skywatch Friday.

45 comments:

  1. A stark, beautiful landscape. You do wonder if something was wrong with the snake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful skies - I agree the rock looks like a big toe or finger

    ReplyDelete
  3. She will always remember these days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful desert shots as always. That snake's behavior is very strange!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG rattlesnakes! What gorgeous skies though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Scary in middle, beauty at the end

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a find by your daughter. A sick snake is kind of strange. Nice find of that shelter. Great photos. Your granddaughter is lucky to have such a venturesome grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to read. Amazing pics.
    Loved to your granddaughter Lilly. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lilly is the cutest hiker! Maybe the snake struck at something and knocked his head on a rock. I once saw a snake go flying into a wall and be dazed for a bit.
    Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fabulous! Love the way you are teaching Lily the ways of the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a beautiful grand-daughter - and very ugly toes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great and awesome sky captures . Keep commenting on my blog because I love your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow again and lucky that you had no deathly encounter with that snake. The sky shots are beautiful as always. What a perfect environment to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful shots of another great adventure with your granddaughter. I think she will remember this kind of hikes with you the rest of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good hire spotting the rattler like that. Awesome skys

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an awesome grandfather you are to take Lilly on a hike with you. These adventures she will remember forever. Making memories not placing top value on things. Thumbs up! I'm glad you decided to exit stage left when Lilly saw the rattlesnake. Absolutely beautiful sunsets. Spoil Lilly because no one else will.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh, you bet, those were gorgeous skywatch shots.

    (Frankly, I think it looked like a walrus.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. great place to hike and beautiful desert sky.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful sky photos, and a sweet little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely photos, beautiful skies and a scary snake. Glad your granddaughter enjoys the desert with you. She will treasure these special times as will you. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous photos! I'm glad your daughter noticed the snake. That rock does indeed resemble a big toe to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. uf, you should really be careful, that's not the first snake on your hikes. with all that beautiful nature, I would find it difficult to concentrate on dangers on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Man those are sister skies to Hawaii tropical sunsets!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lily is already a sharp-eyed expert on the desert. Thank goodness. What a beautiful hike.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm glad Lily had sharp eyes and spotted that Rattlesnake! They are always a danger here on the front range of Colorado and they don't always give a warning rattle. Sadly a young male hiker died from a rattlesnake bite last summer, even though he was given anti vernon fairly quickly in a hospital. I'd say this snake was a lucky omen for you as he was a warning to always scan your surroundings carefully as you hike.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your pictures are great!! (except for the snake, I don't like snakes!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful sky shots. Good thing Lily saw the snake----she is a good hiking partner.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh I meant to add that it is always fun to see what rock etc look like---ie--the toe
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your granddaughter is very observant for such a youngster and she is getting some great experience on the hiking skills at such a young age. Your photos are fantastic and the scenery is beautiful. I do think that rock looks like a big toe too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Peter,

    I'm glad that snake didn't strike. A rattlesnake bite can be fatal. It looks like God was watching over you two for which I give Him all glory and praise! The rock next to Lily does look a bit like a big toe. Of course, I wouldn't have thought about that had you not said something. :) The orange warm sunset at the horizon, low light, fluffy cloud filled rich blue skies makes for excellent SWF photographs. I'm always awed by your southwestern landscape and beautiful sky views. Thanks for sharing and for visiting. Have a fototastic weekend and be careful on your hikes!

    ReplyDelete
  31. As always your sky shots are stunning! Great to see your grand daughter enjoying the outing with you! The snake is scary!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Skies worth watching! It was good to listen to your gut and get out of there. Yes, big toe. The rest of the foot must be around somewhere. Those rocks are like clouds and can morph into a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful sky shots Peter.. gosh thank goodness Lily spotted the snake.. isn't she just gorgeous. You must be thrilled that she enjoys hiking too.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Luckily your 5 years old saved you!
    To the next adventure...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Some glorious sunset captures there! So glad your encounter with the snake was a benign one!

    ReplyDelete
  36. wow that was lucky you spotted a snake. I've never seen one, we aren't allowed them here.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gorgeous skies and what a nice hike. That snake would have scared me to death. Lilly is a very observant young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love those rounded rock formations. You have such a sweet hiking companion and it's wonderful you are getting her started young. Exciting to find yourself so close to a rattlesnake! I would have backed slowly and carefully out -- as I am sure you did. Is it possible he looked the way he did and was where he was because he was about to shed his skin? I've seen others (not rattlers) look that way then.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ok, if that's what you think a big toe looks like, I am not sure I want to see YOUR feet! LOL! I am glad you are teaching Lilly the value of hiking and outdoors, especially how to save a life - YOURS! Spectacular shots, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I like your blog,I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in
    traffic density,which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
    หนังฝรั่ง

    ReplyDelete
  41. You got lucky again! It's good you had your granddaughter with you! Also: it is a Big Toe.

    ReplyDelete