Thursday, August 29, 2019

Pismo Beach Getaway (part 2)

I never finished my Pismo Beach post from a couple weeks ago. I was so excited about finding the "Hidden Cave Pictographs" (last weeks post) that I couldn't resist sharing that with you!

Pismo Beach (part 1) was all about beautiful sunsets over the ocean, taken with my big camera and telephoto lens. This "part 2" post is (unless otherwise noted) all about cellphone shots. You can't beat a cellphone for convenience, and both cameras fill a different need.
That's our motel up on the cliff. My wife in the foreground, working on a puzzle, and you can just make out my granddaughter (Lilly) flopping around in the sand. Actually, I think she might have been digging a hole. Whatever, she's a perpetual blur of activity.


Pismo Beach is so beautiful, and so different from the S CA beaches I am used to. Even during their busy time, the crowds were light. The rock formations, cliffs and caves along the beach were an added bonus!

Some of the cliffs were off-white and chalky.

From inside one of the many sea caves in the area.



There are 107 stairs from the motel down to the beach. How do I know? Lilly counted them on EVERY SINGLE TRIP which is why the number sticks in my mind. Here we are heading back UP the 107 steps, which is significantly more difficult than the trip down. It was probably my idea to stop and rest on the way up 😉. 
One of my favorite shots. I came across these old stairs that at one time allowed people access to the beach from the bluffs above. The ocean and her tides had a different idea, making these stairs no longer usable. That looks like the moon, but it's actually the sun viewed through fog and clouds.

A nice skywatch shot. A pretty sky, and this pelican just happened to fly in front of me at just the right moment!

Gayle & Lilly on the Pismo Beach Pier.
Gayle & Lilly outside another amazing sea cave in the area!
Even on a cloudy, misty late afternoon, it's enjoyable to be on the beach.

Gayle & Lilly got up early on day 2, and noticed the tide was out. Off they went, hoping to find sand dollars. It's been many years since I've seen sand dollars on the beach. I never see them any more on the S CA beaches, but I remember seeing them when I was a kid. How about you... do you remember finding sand dollars along the beach?

Jackpot!!!!! Many sand dollars were found, and Lilly had a blast running around in the shallow water searching for them. 

Artsy-fartsy sand dollar art. I used a macro lens on my DSLR for the sand dollar photos.

A personal favorite... Lilly & Gayle posing in a local restaurant. Probably about as close as we will ever get to deep sea fishing, since I get sea sick the moment I set foot on a boat!

The Pismo shoreline and seacliffs are popular with kayakers. Shot with my DSLR and telephoto lens.

The view of Pismo Pier from our motel balcony. Another DSLR shot using my telephoto lens.

A pretty, late afternoon crescent moon (yup, DSLR/telephoto).

A very memorable trip... both fun and relaxing. Lilly had a blast! Thanks for joining us on our quick 2-night get-away to Pismo Beach!

Linking with Skywatch Friday.
Thanks for stopping by!!

39 comments:

  1. A marvelous beach!

    I can definitely see the visual appeal of that no longer used staircase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful post of a relaxed weekend by the ocean. That sky... beautiful, as well as the beach with the caves! My sister in law chose the beach when I asked her for the most beautiful thing they had seen in California (they live in Holland).
    Love that staircase, and should have first read your text, for I kept wondering why it stopped in mid air - that means the ocean levels have gone done quite a bit... Great shots of you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great family and beach pictures. Good one.
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. All beautiful shots. I love the beach and that photo of the stairs next to the rocks is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love the views...and Lilly is adorable. She and our granddaughter would have a ball together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciate this post about Pismo Beach, because it's on my bucket list, if I hadn't mentioned it yet.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes both cameras are for different purpose! Fantastic captures. Love the old stairs shot

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have both the eye for photographs and great technical ability to make them happen. I'm all ready to book a trip to Pismo Beach after looking at your images. I love how you are making great memories for your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep very nice place and so quiet in comparrison to places here. I'd be exploring that beach for hours

    ReplyDelete
  10. The old staircase and the sun is surreal! Looks very otherworldly. Lilly is so cute she takes the prize in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing place. So beautiful pics.
    Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Die alte Steintreppe hat eine atemberaubende Ausstrahlung.Märchenhaft!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous shots! Love those beach stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Indeed that old stair is the gem of your photo's and then that sun coming through the fog or dust or whatever. Magnificent. I also like the old pier on its now looking much to high legs as a shaky construction.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, Pismo Beach looks wonderful. Beautiful views of the water and pier. I love the sea caves and those old steps. The rock formations on the beach remind me of the sea stacks in Oregon. Cute shots of Gayle and Lilly. Congrats on finding the sand dollar. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The amount of time you spend with Lilly is touching, and she is one cute little girl. I am sure that she benefits greatly from all this time with you, and will cherish the memories for the rest of her life. You tell her that if ever she makes it to southern Ontario she has a new Grandpa David waiting to see her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, David. Thank you so much, and I'll let Lilly know she has a new "grandpa" in Ontario!

      Delete
  17. aw, lovely trundle of photos. Kudos. Always glad you keep a camera at hand during family time.

    Cheers from stormy Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the 107 stairway photograph the BEST because it is very creative. Lilly is so adorable. I so enjoy the family images you share with us. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. No surprise here--- your Pismo pictures are just as remarkable as your desert pictures! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing photos from Pismo beach. I love the old staircase and the camouflaged sun.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow! what a wonderful place to stay by the ocean ~ fantastic photos and love Lily ~ she is so photogenic ^_^

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbour)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Incredible images!
    Simply lovely, all, but those stairs...and your edit..WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are your usual marvelous shots, but like you I'm still dreaming of those petroglyphs! That's an article. You should submit it somewhere. Oh of course you don't want to disclose...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such gorgeous pictures. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful place for a holiday, plenty is space and things for Lily to do. Your photos regardless of what you have taken them on, are wonderful. Love the new and old stairs photos. Such a great location for a motel on the top of the cliff. Thanks for sharing your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well thanks for taking us on you Pismo Beach vacation. What fun we all had---LOL! I think I may have been to that beach when I was very little. I remember some talk about it. Beautiful views and wonderful pics of the three of you. Finding sand dollars--what a thrill.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for taking us along, what a marvelous spot for a holiday, the beaches are gorgeous. Love the 107 stairs, excellent way to keep fit while on holiday 😊 was interesting to see the sand dollars, that's a first for me ✨

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love that beach. No ocean near where I live and Florida beaches (where I've visited the last two years) don't have rock formations. Not sure of my favorite but I think it's the staircase to nowhere - yes, it shows the power of nature and how puny our structures are in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful beach and scenery around you. Lovely photos of your grand daughter. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a lovely time you all had, the combination of a beach and a grandchild is pretty hard to beat! Love your (slightly creepy) photo of the old stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's a lot of steps! I especially like the shot of the decayed steps :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amazing!! Everything About This Update Rocks The Casbah. Nothing Like A Little Vacation With Family In Tow. Love Watching The Sun Meet The Water. Well Done Brother

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  33. From the hot desert to the calm beach. Nice. My cell phone doesn't take pictures like that.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Don't know where to start - yes, I remember collecting sand dollars as a child when living in Florida. A magical time. Love the picture of the stairs that are no longer used - it looks like CGI!!! Lilly in the sea caves gives a terrific perspective on the size. 107 steps - that is what I love about kids - and that is what memories are made of!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful shots!
    Lilly surely enjoyed her holiday!!

    ReplyDelete