Thursday, June 11, 2020

Majestic Arch Revisited

I first "discovered" Majestic Arch in January of 2019 and I posted about it here. I have "discovered" in quotes because I know of at least one person who had spotted the arch (from a distance) prior to my stumbling upon it. But I know of no one who had ever climbed up to it. Anyway, I remember thinking that this might be my one and only time to make the climb. I'm not getting any younger, and this arch is tough to get to!

I shared my discovery and photos with a few trusted friends who regularly hike in the area. They ended up making the climb to Majestic Arch a few months later. They chose a different approach... claimed to be easier but added distance to the hike. That piqued my interest. They also placed a register under the arch so any future explorers could document their visit. That also piqued my interest. Fast forward to October 2019. I'm very curious to see if anyone has visited the arch since the register placement and also curious (and hopeful) that I can find an easier climb up to the arch.
The drive out.
The hike in. I know, I know... I should stay focused on my goal of reaching the arch, but this alcove looks interesting. Let's go check it out.

A nice shady spot to rest, and a nice view!
Can you spot the arch?
Unfortunately, I don't see an easier way up to the arch. I'm sure it exists, but I don't want to use up a lot of time and energy looking for it. Up we go!

Getting closer. Now all we have to do is climb up these very steep rocks. The arch is up there somewhere!

We made it! A goal for this hike is to explore the rocks around Majestic Arch and see if I can find an easier approach to take when it's time to go down. That might be the approach my friends took when they climbed up. They views from atop the rocks are great, but I see no obvious route that looks easier. Here are a few more view shots from the rocks surrounding Majestic Arch.



Wow, imagine how incredible it would be so see the sun set from up here! But I sure wouldn't want to climb down in the dark. Let's go check out the arch and see if we can find the register.


Ah, still there, and as beautiful as ever!

It didn't take me long to find this plastic container with sign-in notebook and pen under some rocks. Cool!! But no signatures, other than from my friends that placed it here. Not a surprise, given the remoteness and difficulty of getting to the arch.

 A favorite shot... from deep within the arch looking out. Like a pair of eyes looking out upon the world!

I'll leave you with this short video clip of the view from Majestic Arch. Thanks for joining me on another adventure! 

Linking with Skywatch Friday.
Stay safe. Stay healthy.

48 comments:

  1. I love how amazing nature is, great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The arch looks so small from the base but it puts the terrain in perspective. Some wonderful views from the arch

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool you can put your signature there! Love your captures of alcoves:) One time I hope to visit an alcove like this, because once I had a dream (years ago, but so significant, it was like yesterday) I was sitting in an alcove, and Vincent van Gogh came by with a knapsack (spelling?). He talked for a while with me, then he indicated it was his time to move on to places he had not see. He said "You are very blessed to see this." When I looked out of the alcove I saw a scene like the Grand Canyon, and the mountains had faces of people on them. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always find so much beauty in the desert

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing Amazing photographs as usual my friend! And we have the same rubbermaid Plastic container :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! This was a good hard climb, but worth seeing that majestic arch up close and also the view! Loved all your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do many spots have registers like that? It's too bad you didn't find an easier way up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...thanks for taking my a long to this remote and difficult to get to the arch. I couldn't have done it without your help! Take care and stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, thank YOU for taking us along, especially as I never would have dared climb up there. This time we were able to hear the almost-but-not-quite silence (wind?) through your video. My favorite picture was the one with the sun a point of light on that large rock formation. I also saw a pointing dog rock and a possible dinosaur rock...you have me seeing things in rock formations now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those photos looking through the rock windows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The whole place looks like it melted. Amazing place. I hope I can see it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing place. Great pics.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Congratulation. Felt as if I was part of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beauty in Nature! Love this arch and thanks for making the hike. Looks tough getting over the boulders.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rock Solid Photography! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another wonderful post, another great adventure. Me? I have enough trouble making it down the road to the mailbox! Age sneaks up on you.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, so true Bill! I frequently have the feeling after a strenuous hike that I'll ever do that one again. Not sure I'll ever hike to this particular arch again. But I try to never say never, and keep putting one foot in front of the other!

      Delete
  17. A faszinated look through the rock windows!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I now catch myself looking for a trace of plants between all those stone formations and most of the time I still see something. Wonderful how life manages to sustain itself in this barren place.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So incredible! I think you could find new beauty every time you go.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, love the arch, beautiful series of photos and video. The climb up looks hard, thanks for taking me along the easy way. Enjoy your day, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful shots! Love the sun atop the rock pillar.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what an adventure you had. I love your arch. I love the register. It looks like 90
    % of the geocaches I have found over the years.
    No way I could climb up those rocks. I hope you have signal in case something happened.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome climb with you to the lovely arch and great pics and video ~ Bravo!

    Be Safe. Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great captures of the arch. I wonder who will ever see the register to sign it. Thanks for the wonderful hike and photos. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The arch looks beautiful. Lovely photos and video!
    Stay safe, and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm glad you were able to climb up to the Arch one more time before the old bones get too decrepit!
    I wonder, do other such "hidden places" have registers for intrepid explorers to sign when they have discovered a new gem? It would be intriguing to know who had been there before you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Yes, hikers and climbers often place registers in secret, hard to reach places. But they are frequently destroyed over time by the elements. I remember placing a register in a heavy plastic coffee container. When I returned a year later, rodents had totally chewed up the lid and much of the paper!

      Delete
  27. It really is majestic. message in a (almost) bottle, how cool!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am happy that you took the hike up to put your name on the list of people who visited there. What kind of shoes do you use to climb? Do you use poles, ropes, gloves? How do you bring water with you? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do any technical climbing, meaning climbing requiring ropes or other specialized gear. I'm really just a hiker, with standard hiking boots. And yes, always plenty of water in my backpack!

      Delete
  29. The black and white pictures have a post-apocalyptic feel - or maybe that's just my mood these days! Good for you to re-visit the site - but you know curiosity can kill the cat, right? Great shots, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an amazing work of nature! Fun to see the shot from within - like a pair of huge glasses...
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That rock in the last photo is a very cool spot to spy on people from.

    ReplyDelete
  32. No,no, no focusing, all pics are great!
    Is that a lizard? Hippo´s yawn I see, too.
    And wow, the peak with the sun! Do you sell those photos?
    Love that guestbook-idea. Cool video, too, a window to the world - thank you for sharing this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful photos. It looks like a rough climb. You're clearly not too old for such things yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. It is through your blog that I learn to appreciate the deserts. Beautiful view from and around Majestic Arch.

    ReplyDelete
  35. So Stoked About The Register There In Tupperware - Way Cool - Your Photos Are Top Shelf For Sure - Keep On Keeping On

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  36. You always find these remote hidden wonders. I love the idea of a tupperware for signatures. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've never seen this one. I do think that you've done more "Wonderland" exploring than I ever did. I have placed a few registers on peaks in the Hidden Valley area in my younger days so there are a few around

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my gosh the views through the arch are stunning SPP 💜 It's a bit special that there are only so few signatures, just yourself and friends who put the box there. Wonder how long before some intrepid explorer will find it ✨

    ReplyDelete
  39. Photos are fascinating. I can look at them forever, this is some kind of relaxation. I saw something similar in Galilee, Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful. The aerial view looks symmetrical like an old melted city.

    ReplyDelete