Thursday, June 18, 2020

Wonderland Overlook

The Wonderland of Rocks is one of the most amazing places in all of Joshua Tree National Park. As the name implies, it's just a huge jumble of densely-packed rocks. The rock climbing is world class, and the hiking and photography are excellent. It's an intimidating area to hike, and few tourists venture in beyond Barker Dam. The boulders and rock formations make hiking in a straight line impossible. For the most part, there are no trails to follow. I've only scratched the surface with regard to my own exploring of this amazing area.
It's pretty easy to spot the Wonderland from an airplane window seat (or looking down in satellite view using Google Maps, above). The lighter-colored granite rocks in the Wonderland form a distinct border with the rest of the park (red arrows show east and west borders). In round numbers, the Wonderland is about 5 miles in length (north to south) and about 1.5 miles wide.

A few posts ago (here) I mentioned I was out looking for some Native American rock art, but try as I might, I never found them. I did find many beautiful flowering Nolina, and also this amazing rock formation.

I think I see a face.


I can't help but wonder if this rocky projection wasn't part of an arch or land bridge a million or so years ago. I'm basing this observation on the way it's sheared off at the end with lots of rocky rubble underneath it. 

After scouring the myriad of rocks for possible pictographs and finding none, I noticed what looked like a possible viewpoint (center of photo above). Let's go take a look.

Some beautiful views and rock formations on the hike over. I still see what looks like a viewpoint, so let's keep going...

Just a little further...

Ah, perfect! Now that's a view!! You can clearly see where the "regular" desert stops and the lighter Wonderland of Rocks granite starts.



Some friends who have hiked the area said this area is called the "Wonderland Overlook". I just stumbled across it by chance. The photos don't really do it justice. They were taken midday with a so-so sky. Imagine how beautiful it would be at sunset!!

On the hike back, I spotted this huge boulder with a flat, smooth top. Let's go explore...

A nice view! My car is down there somewhere.

Late afternoon light highlights this prickly pear cactus.

Here's the old road I'm be following back to the car. That ridge in the mountains is what we have just hiked down.

Pretty little fishhook cactus in flower.



Nolina bloom in b&w.
Linking with Skywatch Friday.
Stay safe. Stay healthy.
Thanks for stopping by!!

43 comments:

  1. ...a fabulous place, I feel parched, I'm going to get a drink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely see a face and head extending from the rock formation - almost like an ancient sculpture

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, you have me wishing to visit Joshua Tree NP. The closest I have come to similar landscapes is Bryce, Zion or Canyonlands in Utah. The views are fabulous, I like all the rock formations, I see a face with a big nose. Love the Joshua trees with the sunburst. The cactus blooms is lovely. Enjoy your day, have a great weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many fabulous shots again! I love the desert gargoyle and saw it right away. Do be careful. Carry a sat phone or flares or whistle or something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see a face right away on that elongated formation! Oh how I love those prickly pears and other desert plants! If only I can grow them here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to stand there and smell the desert must already be wonderful.So impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another amazing adventure documented with great photos from you. You are the intrepid explorer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb, hard to believe that the fist photo you showed looks so different at ground level. The walk does not look easy over those rocks well done for doing it and getting the result

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rocks are so fascinating with all their different shapes and colours and compositions - I'm sure I should've been a geologist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful place. Amazing shots.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed this hike. The "broken" land bridge reminded me of the creatures from "Alien". The flowering cactus was a special inclusion in this post - more, please!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a beautiful hike! Thanks for taking me along (and my legs aren’t even aching ).... it seriously is great how you show us how it looks and feels as you go along, seeing the landmarks from various points. And each picture, each angle, always beautiful. That ‘field’ is an amazing area I didn’t even realize was there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow there ya go again. Love this area and I wish I was out there hiking. Not too intense though. The formations are spectacular. Thank you
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ich bin immer wieder erstaunt und begeistert von den spannenden Berichten.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I had known all of this was there when I lived in San Diego or Laguna Niguel. Fabulous post!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Faszinierend! Ich habe den Betrag sehr gerne gelesen und bin begeistert von den Fotos!
    Have nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can imagine how peaceful it feels to be hiking out there and see nobody else. I like that - some quiet time with beautiful surroundings.

    Interesting theory about the protruding rock. I can see it as part of an arch at some point. I feel like there's a missing half part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! You do find such wonderful places and excellent photography! ~ That first rock looks like a giant frog to me and I love the delicate desert flowers you found ~ Excellent post and photos ~ Wishing you a happy weekend ^_^

    Be Safe, Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cool shots. I love that small, pink flower.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, what a terrific place! That does look like it could have been an arch. The sky is such a gorgeous shade of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I’ve never seen a cactus bloom like that. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very interesting rock formations and so many of them too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am amazed how you can hike deserts without trails to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very impressive hike and photos. Thanks for sharing, take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a gorgeous location! I just got an invitation from one of my friends to run a race in Joshua Tree National Park this fall. I hope we get to go! I want to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fascinatying and inhospitable area.
    Thanks for sharing the photos of this hike, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You always find the most interesting spots.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your photos turn the desert into an interesting and a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I saw the face on the rocky land bridge. Impressed by the B/W format on two Nolina plants. You presented to the viewers the "Wonderland Overlook" by a peek here and a peek there until ta da there it is. I love the introduction! Happy first day of Summer. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Postcard worthy photographs. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. So many interesting things to see. I almost feel like I’ve been for a hike.

    ReplyDelete
  32. As alwwys, beautitul photos! I like the cactus with the little flower. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  33. My husband would have loved your photos as he used to rock climb in Joshua Tree when he was young. I love the picture of the prickly pear cactus catching the rays of the afternoon sun.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Don't worry about me and snakes, I have moved rattlesnakes here, albeit not in my bedrooms, for 15 years now. Last year I didn't see a single snake, this year I've had two in my house and one in the dog run. All juvenile Northern Pacific rattlesnakes. About a foot long and very thin. I'm sure they came out of the rocks in my yard. I will have them removed this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful photos and informative descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, that looks like some rough walking. Your black and white photo is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Spectacular images SPP, yes I too see a face 😊 definitely looks like it could have been part of an arch. Looking at the landscape of the Joshua Tree park is sometimes like looking at another planet 💜

    ReplyDelete
  38. I bet that jutting rock was an arch. I only saw one arch in Sedona this year. But lots or red rock. Views so grand. Hikes so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  39. We flew over that area a lot of times when we lived in Pomona. Now that I don't fly any more I won't be able to experience it from the air. Thanks for the photographic tour. - Margy

    ReplyDelete