Thursday, April 7, 2022

Ancient Village

 I've been looking forward to writing this post for a while now. Please pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable, as it's going to be a long one!
 
"Ancient Village" is a little known site in a remote area of the S CA desert. Very remote. And "little known" might be an understatement. Unknown is more accurate. I definitely won't be sharing the location, and will try my best not to even give any hints.
The area is just a jumble of boulders. I had heard rumors that long ago, this was a thriving Native American village site. Not just a seasonal camp, but an actual established village. Two virtual desert explorer friends encouraged me to explore the area, and to them I owe a huge thank you: Dave and Ben. They are the only people I know of who have visited this site in recent times, although I'm sure there must be others. I had a rough idea of the site's location, but beyond that, it would just be a matter of painstakingly searching, poking around, looking in all the nooks and crannies of the thousands of boulders in the area. I might get lucky and find something, or I might not. One thing for sure: The area is much too large, complex and remote to explore in a single day. To do it right would require mutliple visits.
 
I would be looking for pottery sherds, grinding slicks and manos, olla nests, lithic scatter, and anything else that might indicate that Native Americans had long ago inhabited the area.
 
I had picked a great day to explore. Warm but not hot, and a pretty sky. As expected, I didn't see another human being all day. Not even a footprint. Not even an OLD footprint! Clearly, this area is almost never visited.
 
After a long desert slog and finally arriving at the area I suspected to be the Ancient Village site, I noticed this large boulder with a smoothed out, lighter-colored area that looked suspiciously like a grinding slick. Even better: What appeared to be the grinding stone or "mano" was right next to it! As I started to search around the boulders, I started seeing pottery sherds and lithic scatter (chipped stone debris that indicate rocks were being chipped and formed into tools and points). LOTS of pottery sherds. I actually became aware that I need to watch more closely where I was stepping to avoid stepping on and breaking pottery sherds. I've never seen so much pottery!





 
I came across what looked like it might be a small shelter area. Right away I noticed a grinding slick (bottom center), and then a smaller slick with the mano sitting on top of it (upper right). I noticed some dead looking weeds (center, and close up below) that raised a flag in my mind. I didn't recognize the plant, and it seemed out of place.  It kind of looked like pine needles. No pines in this area, but I was so excited to find the grinding slicks and mano that I didn't think much more about it. But keep it in the back of your mind.
What the heck is this stuff?? Is it hiding something?
 
Standing in this little shelter area and looking out, I could see three grinding slicks, with a forth on my left (out of the photo). Then I noticed this:
I'll call this "significant find #1". It's kind of a grinding stone holding rock. Three grinding stones or manos sitting side by side, as if they are waiting to be picked up and used! The worn surfaces on the manos are easy to see. It certainly makes you wonder who set them here, and whose was the last hand to touch them. Fascinating!
 
Interesting side note: An archeologist by the name of Daniel McCarthy explored and documented this area on multiple dates throughout the year 1975. His photos documenting the area can be found in a photo archive, and I've reviewed them all closely. He found many things in this area that I wasn't able to find, but he didn't document this mano holding rock!

I explore another potential shelter (there are many like this).
 
In one corner, there are rocks that appear to have been arranged in roughly a circle. And outside the shelter, more pottery sherds, some of them quite large (the lens cap fits my wide angle lens and is a large one). There is also what might be a stone tool that was next to the sherds (right in photo below). It fit perfectly in my hand, and even felt like it had finger ridges. I can only make guesses as to its possible uses.
 
Another possible stone tool.
 
McCarthy documented many petroglyph sites in the area, but I'm only able to find a couple.
 
An interesting split rock. I notice something unusual on top of the rock (right side, arrow). Is it natural weathering or perhaps a petroglyph? I have no idea. I cropped the photo (below) for a better view.
 
More petroglyphs
  
Yet another grinding slick. They are all over out here!

Smiley rock!
 
Then we came across something that just made my jaw drop: Inside a beautiful large shelter is an olla nest! (significant find #2)
 
Olla: "A large, widemouthed earthenware vessel used (as by Native Americans) for storage or as a container for water." This perfectly preserved olla "nest" was used by Native Americans to hold an olla and its contents in a safe place, and out of direct sunlight. This exact olla nest was document by Daniel McCarthy in 1975.
 
Oh, and remember that weird weedy material that looked like pine needles that I told you to keep in the back of your mind? Well, here it is again, lining the bottom of the olla nest!
 
Photo credit: Mitch
 
1975 photo of the same olla nest, by D. McCarthy. The nest looks identical today, with the exception of the spirit stick, which has fallen over, and some of the nesting material has degraded.
 
Screenshot, taken from "The Desert Was Home", of William Campbell with two ollas. Photo likely taken in the 1920's.
  
If you're wondering where the olla or ollas are that might have been at this site, my guess (and hope) is they were removed, perhaps by Daniel McCarthy (he was employed by Joshua Tree National Park during the time he was out here documenting things), or perhaps much earlier by William and Elizabeth Campbell. I wouldn't be surprised if they are sitting in the JTNP Museum collection right at this very moment!
 
Linking with Skywatch Friday.
Thanks for joining me on this adventure!
 
These sites are incredibly fragile. If you happen upon one, please leave it exactly as you found it.

39 comments:

  1. ...an ancient village under gorgeous skies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! intriguing photos and treasures that you found ~ what an adventure for you ~ Awesome post and photos ~ thank you ~ Xo


    Wishing you love and laughter in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly were delving into the past there. It must have been a great experience to walk where some of the ancient natives used to live. I is not something I would ever come across here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Always so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely Amazing Adventure There Brother Parts - Incredibly Well Photographed - So Stoked For Ya - Travel On And Stay Adventurous

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Peter,
    This read so well, it is captivating!
    Maybe also because our adopted daughter from British Columbia is part Indian...
    It makes one ponder about the development of different people and even more so; what caused them to give up this site?
    Many questions but you certainly did step way back in time.
    Fascinating and so well told with your excellent photos and words!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indiana Jones is your new name! What an adventure you had and what great finds. I'm just stunned by the whole thing.
    I love how you are not revealing where this is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fantastic landscape. And beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I want to explore. And I'm in SoCal. But, I doubt I would actually make it out there as I am a strictly on the trail hiker (and not long hikes, either).

    ReplyDelete
  10. How amazing to get to hike to an area so remote. It really makes you feel humble to visit something that no one else visits. And to take great photos to share and save. I love reading your posts and imagining the things you see. Enjoy your week! Hope the weather is nice enough to get out for more hikes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post. When I was 12 I wanted to be an archeologist. Amazing site. You're very lucky to find so many interesting things from history. And I am lucky that I virtually go with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to read your post, Wonderful place. Amazing clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful and nicely documented adventure! A less knowledgeable eye would see only stones but you found the historical value and magic of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the 6th pic. Turn it to b n´ w and your hand turns into rock formation. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never heard of an olla nest. What an incredible find, and the fact that it has hardly changed since 1975 is even more amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This adventure of yours was so well written that I could feel all the excitement you must have been experiencing. What an extraordinary place to be able to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My reaction when you warned that this was going to be "a long one: "Oh, good!"
    What a fascinating place to visit. I've often seen illustrations of round-bottomed vessels and wondered how practical they would be; the "olla nest" answers my questions. Thanks for taking us along on your explorations - even if I don't know exactly where I went!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah Peter--- just when I think every ounce of my day will be filled with gloom over the actions of ignorant and stupid people, you post this marvelous set. Thanks for your care, thanks for sharing. Be careful out there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Definitely exciting to find lost artifacts, Im interested to know how they lived in such a dry landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a find and perfectly documented as always.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Reconstruir las piezas, tiene que ser un laborioso trabajo. Es un territorio muy poco conocido y visitado, de ahí que se puedan encontrar tantas piezas, que reflejan que había sido anteriormente poblado.

    Que tengas un excelente fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another great hike with some interesting finds.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a wonderful post Peter! I'm in awe and grateful that you told us about this adventure. Just amazing to discover all of this -- it's amazing to read about it, and I can only imagine how you felt when you found those first shards! I knew what ollas were, but don't remember ever learning about olla nests before. And it is so obvious (now that you've told me) that the cooks would have needed them. Those and the tools and shards ... all just add to the kind of wonder that petroglyphs always inspire.. these finds are even better.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Incredible finds, great documenting, and excellent photos. Thanks for sharing and have a fantastic weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Greetings and Salutations! You certainly hit the jackpot...shards, tools, olla nests and more petroglyphs. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Big WOW.
    Humans sure were able to adapt. And yay to the smiley rock - must´ve witnessed something funny :-)
    You really live in a great place!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Incredible detail, and thankful you had all your knowledge and the additional research you did to prepare yourself. As someone who majored in cultural anthropology in college, I realize how important it is to keep everything in its exact place, and not to disturb anything. I have so much to learn, though, as far as knowing what I am looking at in your pictures. I wouldn't have seen anywhere near the amount of detail you did. I loved your descriptions. Thank you for allowing us to view these sites safely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Another amazing post. You "hit it out of the park" with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Okay, okay, I thought this day was going pretty good - I heard a snippet of Star Wars Movie translated into Navajo - (wow!) - Then, driving my pupster to a park for a little trail action - I noticed the car in front of me had a Cherokee Nation license plate . . . triple cool . . BUT, NOW, I'm enjoying your post - and think I might be visiting heaven. Oh, Thank You! 💙

    ReplyDelete
  30. You had a really exciting day. You have a lot of knowledge and skill to find what you are looking for.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. So many surprises and so interesting. If only those rocks can talk and tell us what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  32. How fun to discover such a little explored area of history. Great finds! You kept your secrets well.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderfully preserved place where ancient Native Americans lived! It was a glimpse back in time when this was once a thriving village. The olla nests were a surprise to see and something I never knew existed. Many manos and other artifacts are constantly being found where I live as the Colorado front range was also a favorite place for ancient people to live, but it takes a trained eye to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What an extraordinary find and with so much still in tact. Finding this spot was certainly a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for this fascinating virtual tour!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've been to this area 3 times, starting in 2016, when I found the olla nest. Looks like there's way more stuff out there that I haven't found yet. I've also been out to the "Monolith Alcove" area about 10-15 times. I just know I'm gonna run into you one of these days! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete