Thursday, January 5, 2023

First Hike of 2023

 I'll be honest with you... hiking with Papa is probably not my granddaughter's first choice of activities. But when I told her I had a hike planned for new year's day in Joshua Tree to search for Native American rock art, she seemed pretty good with the idea.
Lilly's only 10, but now I'm the one trying to keep up with her on the trail!
 
We set the alarm for 6:15AM, 1.1.23. I couldn't imagine a better way to kick off the new year! I wanted to get an early start because this was winter break, kids out of school, and likely big crowds with limited parking. When Lilly and I got to the Barker Dam parking area, it was empty! Heck, we could have slept in, but it was really nice having the place to ourselves.
 
One of the first things we came across was this mortar (grinding hole) at the base of a rocky cliff. A fun find because Lilly is studying California history at school. She told me she was the only kid in her class who knew what this kind of hole in the rock was when the teacher asked! By the way, that's a neck warmer she has pulled up over her mouth. It was a very chilly morning!
 
I walked right past this bedrock mortar, which was partially hidden by bushes, but Lilly spotted it. As you can see, it rained the night before, filling up the mortar with water. 
 
We found some rock art in the area, but I'm suspicious about its authenticity. Here's one I call the football petroglyph. It looks a little too new and perfect, but who knows, maybe it's the real deal.
 
The Disney Pictograph Site: It's Complicated!
If you follow the Barker Dam loop trail, you will eventially come across this site. The boulder formation is beautiful, and it immediately draws you in. Even from a distance, you can spot the bold, colorful pictographs. But there's an interesting and disturbing story behind this site. The story goes that a Disney film crew painted over the original pictographs and petroglyphs in order to make them "pop" while filming at this location for the 1961 movie Chico the Misunderstood Coyote. This would be unthinkable today, but back in 1961, perhaps not. Whether or not they actually had permission from the Park Service to paint over the original rock art is a point of contention.
A beautiful site, wouldn't you agree? The first thing I wanted to do is climb up on that ledge with Lilly and take a closer look, but there is a sign saying that's a no no.
 
A closer look at the Disney Pictograph Site. Notice the round opening in the boulder?
 
Closer still. The thing that interests me most is what exactly was here before Disney came along? Which pictographs and petroglyphs are authentic? And did Disney simply draw over existing rock art, or did they create new? Look closely and you will definitely be able to see what looks like a large number of faded petroglyphs. Even with this dubious background, it's a fascinating site, and Lilly really enjoyed seeing it. Now we need to see if we can find Chico the Misunderstood Coyote on Disney+!
 
Disney pictographs can be seen over Lilly's head!
 
As we proceeded on the loop trail, I was surprised that Barker Dam didn't have much water. This big puddle was all the water there was. You can barely make out Barker Dam (center left in the photo below), and there is no water behind the dam. A couple more rains should fix that!
 
Lilly & I climbed up on a boulder formation to get this view. I'll call it my first Skywatch photo of 2013, and it's classic Joshua Tree National Park, with interesting boulders and rock formations, and Joshua trees in the foreground, all under a pretty sky. Who could ask for more?
 
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2023!!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.


37 comments:

  1. looks like you both enjoyed the hike - I like the rock art you found - great beginning for 2023

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots! Love that Lilly came along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg … Lilly is adorable! And I love your header. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...what fun with Lilly. I have a 10 year old granddaughter Liza and I have a hard day keeping up with her. Congrats and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lily is growing up too fast! You're looking like a cool grandpa with these glasses:) Yes, you were right about the window shot, on freeway 5, on the way to Disney!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an astonishing landscape. Good way to start the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pictographs are so interesting. Would love to know what they mean. Nice set of photos as per usual. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so adorable hiking with your daughter. Your way of convincing her to come alone is for the rock art of first Americans. That seems so sweet that she has a respect and interest for the history of the land. The hike scenery is superb as usual. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a lot of fun, even if you had to get up in the dark! I've read other things the 60's Disney did that would not fly today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You gave her a lifetime memory. I guarantee you. I'm wishing you both a beautiful, safe and happy year ahead

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year!
    Great way to start the year. Hiking with your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How great is that, hiking with your granddaughter! Rather shocking that a film crew painted over pictographs, but I suppose it was not respected at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to see young people enjoying the great outdoors and taking an interest in everything they see. I was reading recently that lots of children from our inner city areas never get the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So you slept in on News Year´s ;-)
    Your granddaughter is beautiful (just saying). And her name is also very beautiful! I so hoped one of my Nieces got that name, too...

    Interesting art, no matter from whom... or not...
    Great pic of Barker Dam!

    And to a happy, healthy 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Must be great fun to make this kind of hikes with your granddaughter now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a kind start of 2023. As always beautiful info and photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dearest Peter,
    What a wonderful idea to go hiking with granddaughter Lilly!
    Pulling her heck warmer over her face sure did not help her legs to become warm... Never understood why anyone would buy jeans with holes. Probably it is my former education in fashion speaking and we never saw anything like that in my time. Refuse to EVER buy or wear one...
    Lilly deserves lots of kudos for knowing about those grinding holes and having a keen interest in everything!
    You certainly meant to write the first sky watch of 2023 and not 2013... 😉
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  18. For some reason many blogs I cannot commen on, but at least now I can comment as an ANON. Loved the pictures and short history lesson and love the idea of hiking with GD. I will hit the AT the last of the month. Hoping I can make the entire 2197 miles. We did 1800 together in our 60s but now in my 80s my girl isn't going and sorta doubts I can make it but I plan to give it a shot. I met a man yesterday that said his mother 85 is still hiking the mts in California, gave me some hope. Thanks for showig all the beauty. We are now Sorry we missed Joshua Tree on our travels. Happy New Year to you!
    Sherry & jack wlking in the sands of Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack. You're my hero!! Well, one of them anyway. One of the guys I hike with is 75 and there is no why I can keep up with him. He's another of my heros!

      Delete
  19. A super way to start the new year indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A wonderful way to begin the new year, hiking with your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a hike and beautiful photos ~ so good to see your grand daughter again ~ Happy New Year Hike ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My goodness Lilly is growing tall. Kids hate that when we pinch their cheeks and say growing up. Oh well she is and that's a fact. Enjoy her as much as you can because soon you'll need to let go and that is sooooo hard. Being a grandparent is the BEST. Glad you spent 2023 with empty parking lot. Beautiful photographs. Be safe, healthy and prosperous in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Treasure these remaining days before your granddaughter has too many other interests to want to hike with Grandpa. But maybe not, who knows? Be proud of the education you've given her! I found a site called Weekend Sherpa (is it one you've mentioned in the past?) that also discussed the Disney petroglyphs and also mentioned a local Crochet Museum. That site seemed to imply that the trail to the Disney items would be suitable for a person who needs relatively flat trails, like me. As sad as what Disney did(which I find outrageous), I still wouldn't mind seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. There's no better way to start the new year: a hike with your pretty Lilly. The football petroglyph is amazing. All the best for the new year! 🥂

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your "first skywatch photo of 2023" You are such an explorer. I love that you have your granddaughter interested in hiking and history and indigenous culture.

    That's something about the Disney drawings. Things sure have changed for the better in regard to respecting the art of the people from long ago. I'm sure that people didn't think anything of it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very beautiful to see
    I am often alone on my trips
    in the past when my daughter was smaller she sometimes accompanied me

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh, my... she grew. what a wonderful way to start 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lily looks so happy! Children are fun to be around! I wish you and your family a lot of health and happiness in 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That looks like a very special and enjoyable outing with Lily. Beautiful captures as always. So disappointing that Disney tampered with the original art.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Truly amazing, great post and photos

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice walk with your granddaughter, It's good she is interested to come along not many kids are at that age

    ReplyDelete
  32. Greetings from Costa Rica! I love your new header! So cute. The Disney debacle, not so cute. Hope that is a myth. What a great way to start 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I seem to remember that this brilliant young lady has been hiking Joshua with her Grandfather since she could barely walk! What a perfect -- and perfectly beautiful -- way to welcome the New Year! I remember hearing about the Disney thing -- I guess the kindest way to think about it is that back then we really didn't know or understand all that we do now.

    ReplyDelete
  34. A great New Years hike. I bet Lily enjoyed spending time with you in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lilly is as lovely now as she was as a little girl in your earlier blogs. I am quite sure that time spent with Grandpa is still just as precious.

    ReplyDelete