Thursday, February 9, 2023

East Joshua Tree

 I took my friend Roger out to East Joshua Tree for a visit recently. He had never been to this specific area, and I hadn't been for a while, so we were both looking forward to it. Put your hiking boots on and join us!

Hey Roger!
 
Is he waving at me??
 

 
I come across far too many of these empty desert tortoise shells, but only rarely see a live tortose. From what I hear and see, their population is in decline.
 
Native American bedrock mortar. I've always been told there is very little evidence of Native Americans occupying this area, but the more I hike and explore here, the more I find! Keep reading.
 
I discovered these old glass jugs a few years back. Good to see they are still here and intact! My theory is that they were cached water. Probably placed here by some old crusty desert rats who were planning on coming back later for an overnight stay and didn't want their pack to be too heavy. I'm guessing they never came back, and over the years, the water evaporated.
 
An old fire ring and wood supply are in the general area of the water bottles. Both the fire ring and wood look like they have been here a very long time!
 
Roger underneath the old man with the big nose!
 
Desert belladona flower, rolled up and waiting to bloom another day.
 
Artsy version.
 
A large and unusual petroglyph made by a series of dots. I've always thought that if you connected the dots it would make the shape of a sword or dagger (sword facing up). Harder to see are circular petroglyphs on either side of the sword (above the guard). The top of the sword is about 6' high, so it's a large petroglyph, and one of the very few that I actually think I know what information they were trying to convey!
 
The rock formations in this section of Joshua Tree National Park never cease to amaze. The photo above looks to me like dinosaur teeth or some ancient jawbone.
 
Way high up on the rocks... see the raptor nest?
 
Carrot nose.
 
A very large rake motif pictograph (dStretch enhanced for clarity).
 
Hat-shaped pictograph (dStretch enhanced for clarity).
 
I can't resist stopping by this rock formation when I'm in the neighborhood!
 
View from inside the rock formation. Hi Roger!
 
Roger, in the eye of The Beast!
 

We had a nearly full moon keeping us company on our hike back to the car.

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoyed this hike out in east Joshua Tree!
 
Linking with Skywatch Friday.






41 comments:

  1. ...the belladona flower sure is interesting. It appears that you will not run out of adventure at Joshua Tree. Thanks again for taking me long to see the sights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I really like that last image. The second one kind of reminds me of a bowling ball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many hidden teasures!

    Is the dinosaur jaw rock dinosaur sized?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many rock formations look like creatures from a strange and faraway land. I'm glad the lovely unfolding desert flower was seen and preserved in a photo by you. How many others bloom and die without ever being seen by a human eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou yes, I did enjoy that little hike out there with you! What intriguing stories those artifacts could tell, especially those bottles :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/02/a-key-element-for-business-growth-and-development.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've enjoyed your photo report of this wonderful hike again, Peter.
    That desert belladona flower is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Peter,
    One indeed wonders if those desert tortoise got 'lost' as there is no water nor mud in that area.
    You love nature but you're not a biologist or microbiologist as we are—lacking the mention of the latin name of the dessert belladona flower...
    The long nose, the dagger and the jaw bone are all quite clear!
    In general it is quite fascinating to hike there as there is so much to discover and see.
    Clever raptor for taking up residence there!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing hike. I think you are an authority on the pictographs!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fun expedition to this desert. The rocks are surely amazingly weathered for your photography arts. The sunset is so distinctly unique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's another wonderful expedition! Great pictures. Its always great to have friends having similar taste of exploration

    ReplyDelete
  12. The second one looks like a space alien of some sort. Very nice art by Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoy our weekly jaunts out into the desert! This one is no exception.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where most people would see very little you see all the stories and share them with us. I really appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not entirely sure that's the old man's nose... uh... oh never mind. A fabulous post, as always. I'll probably never get back to the desert, so I'm doubly grateful for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As ever I am in awe with the place you visit and th ephotos you take.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, beautiful! Makes me want to plan a trip here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not waving but hitching a ride ;) Longing for new horizons maybe, as you pass on to new and different hikes.

    I enjoy the huge rock formations. There's nothing like that anywhere near me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have my boots on for the cyber adventure you and Roger took us to the East Joshua Tree area.
    In your second image it looks like a top spinning sideways. At the raptor nest photograph the two boulders look like they are kissing (lol). Looking like you two had a wonderful time. See you next time. Meanwhile, be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So interesting. That last photo is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning photos, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! What a fantastic place. I had heard of it but never have seen it. Thank you for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That area outdid itself in rock formations. That one with the teeth looked so much like a giant jawbone that you'd almost think there were giants in the area at one time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Another gorgeous adventure and I learn new things each time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What great time you and Roger had ~ Joshua Tree is always so fascinating ~ awesome photos ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  26. How far of a hike are these sights from the main road? These are incredible sights.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great collection of desert treasures again. Those desert teeth are unbeatable as are the faces in the rock formations you find. Keep going please.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Joshua Tree has such endless beauty to view and your photos always show it so well and your descriptions make me smile. I did see dinosaur teeth a big nose and a waving rock and skull formation. It looks like your friend enjoyed his visit. The petroglyphs are always interesting. I'm sure Native Americans traveled through and stayed awhile because of all those drawings. It is sad about the turtles--I wonder what can be dine to save them?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I loved my visit to Joshua Tree some years back. Such an "empty" environment many people think - but it is so full of so much. Thanks for sharing your photos and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The Desert belladonna flower is incredible! Well shared.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous photos. I'm always amazed at what you spot in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a terrific outing. My favorite pics are the old man with the big nose and the last three photos.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The first one looks like a gigantic dino-baby! And what a cool, waving ghost - is it Halloween already?
    Sad about the tortoises...
    Chapeau for the glass jugs being respected.
    Yes, hey, that is why my nose is so small, that rock screamed for a big one too loud, LOL. Nature is a Weirdo at times ;-)
    And an artist, beautiful flower.
    The raptor nest is stuck between a kiss, how "cute"!
    Wow on the resting head.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I did not obey your suggestion to put my hiking boots on but I loved this hike Peter, even in my sock-feet! Thanks for taking us along. I absolutely love the rock formations you show us -- that one of you (or maybe was it Roger? ) in the "eye" was so funny -- it's really good to show how immense these formations are (whether in comparison to a human or a lens cap). I love the petroglyphs and the later "souvenirs, the water jugs and firepit -- all incite my imagination about those who made the desert their home at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The rock formations are simply amazing. I love the big nose and the area that looks like a jaw bone.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You My Brother, You Capture Amazing Depth Of Beauty - Flat Out Spectacular - Well Done

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  37. So many fascinating things on your hikes and your photos are great! The belladonna flower is intriguing. I’m off to look it up to see what it looks like unfurled.

    ReplyDelete