Thursday, March 30, 2023

Pushawalla Plateau

 It wasn't so much the distance (7-8 miles) that had me worried. It was the 1600' elevation gain. That's a lot for an old guy like me, and I joked with my hiking partner (who has summited almost every significant peak in the western US and for who this would be a "walk in the park") that he might have to push me up to Pushawalla. He laughed, but I told him I have serious concerns! As it turns out, after a tremendous amount of huffing and puffing, I made it. So pull up a chair and join me as I attempt this challenging and beautiful hike in Joshua Tree National Park!
Native American bedrock mortars.

We spotted this weird buish rock with a pink stripe in the early part of our hike. It really stands out compared to the surrounding rocks. It would be fun to hear a geologist talk about this formation. Also, on the right side of this formation are the remnants of a paved road! Evidently, this wash was once used to travel up to the Pushawalla Plateau and down the other side to the Coachella Valley. Perhaps supplies were once brought in this way to the miners who once worked the area. Lots of history in these hills!
 
Mitch is anxious to get up to the Plateau, but I manage to talk him into following this old miner's road (can you see it?) and check out some of the historical remains. It doesn't add any extra mileage, but it does add some challenging terrain and requires extra time.
 
It wasn't long before we came across the remains of a stone structure. It's likely an old miner's cabin. This area is known as the Hensen Mining District. There are reported to be around 5-8 of these rock structures in the area.
 
There's a faint rocky rectangular outline with some rusty historic trash inside. Hard to say if there was a structure here.
 
We come across a small mine.
 
The Park Service has it gated off. I wonder how far back it goes?
 
Inside looking out.
 
Cool find of the day! This is called a Chilean mill, and I had seen pictures of it and knew it was around here somewhere. Really pleased that I was able to find it. A Chilean mill is a big, heavy, round piece of concrete covered by a steel band on the outside (see photo below). It's used to roll over and pulverize rocks in the search for gold. There are only two of these in all of Joshua Tree National Park, and the second one is reportedly located somewhere in this area.
Photo credit: http://stampmillman.blogspot.com/2016/09/chilean-mills-and-their-origin.html
 
Two things caught my eye as we hiked past this pile of rocks. First is that the placement doesn't look natural. The boulders look like they were stacked here, although it would have taken tremendous strength and effort. Second was the old rusty chain. What possible use could it have??
 
Another stone structure. This one is the best preserved with the highest walls of any we would come across. It's hard to imagine what it must have been like for the miners living for extended periods in this remote and rustic location.
 
Three-sided stone structure remains.
 
Amazingly, we manage to find Chilean Mill #2! Mitch jokes that it looks like a headstone. The conversation goes downhill from there 😉
 
Further along on our hike, we come across the remains of a stone structure and some tailings. Someone must have been digging around here somewhere!
 
Sure enough, on the other side of the tailings, we find a mine. I think this might be the Pinyon Mine (sometimes called the Tingman-Holland Mine), or more accurately, an exploratory mine near the main mine, which has been filled in and no longer exists.
 
The view out. Hi Mitch!
 
We press on, and things get very steep and I'm huffing and puffing so much I can't even begin to think about taking pictures. But finally we reach what feels like a plateau. Thank goodness, because my legs feel like spagetti noodles and aren't responding to commands from my brain.
 
The views from Pushawalla Plateau are wonderful!
 

That's the Salton Sea
 
Mt. San Gorgonio on the horizon.
 

This is one of the views that most impressed us. The Pinion Pine in the foreground, with Mt. San Gorgonio in the background, makes for a wonderful photo. I could see the wheels turning in Mitch's brain as he said "how incredible would it be to be up here for the full moon setting over snow-covered San Gregornio, with that Pinion Pine in the foreground?" I could picture the photo in my minds eye, and yes, it would be incredible. Unfortunately, an impossible shot, because it would require making this very challenging hike in the dark in order to get up here a little before moonset (and sunrise). Impossible and foolhardy. Impossible??
 
Linking with Skywatch Friday.
Thanks for stopping by!!


46 comments:

  1. ...the snow capped peaks look fabulous in the distance with the yucca in the foreground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Worth the hike, but I can see how strenuous a hike it would be. I imagine if you wanted that pic, you'd probably want to camp up there. Hike in during the day, spend the night...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We gave serious thought to that. Conclusion: With a tent, sleeping bag, camera gear, and ample water, our packs would be too heavy to make the strenuous hike. Might be possible if we cached water up on the plateau ahead of time.See future posts for updates!

      Delete
  3. Very beautiful to see
    Absolutely wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, you are the most exciting blogger I know! Thanks so much for letting us see all of this

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a hike! Congratulations on being so fit in retirement age. I'm glad I could accompany you from a seated position.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There you go again crawling into rattlesnake dens!! I love those Chilean mills but wow, they are heavy. Nobody going to steal those relics.

    I love encountering old structures and you found some good ones. I have a feeling that I would find a lot more around here if the underbrush was not so heavy.

    And what views you found. You need to go up there and camp for the shot. Work really hard so I can view the results while sitting on my sofa, with the fire going, and a nice beverage in hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We kind of decided that our packs would just be too heavy for an over-nighter (sleeping bag, tent, water, camera gear, etc., etc.). See my next couple posts for the crazy solution we came up with!

      Delete
  7. Dearest Peter,
    Well, what is impossible... high risk is another thing.
    Glad that you made it up and captured some incredible images for us.
    How rough life for those miners must have been and where did they get their water supply from and food...?!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Chilean mill is so unique and special. The mine is gorgeous too. The landscapes with the snowy mountains in a distance are just surreal

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bravo to you on the uphill trek ~ gorgeous photos as always ~ and fascinating relics ~ love all the stone works ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool hike! Whenever I see those bedrock mortars I try and picture the native Americans sitting there grinding away and the views they had.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on hike! I hope I am fit like you post retirement to explore the nature near my village

    ReplyDelete
  12. It really looks a hard hike, so you must be very satisfied. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pictures--- making me remember motorcycle trips when I lived in San Diego a very long time ago. I loved seeing San Gorgonio looming... Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed your experiences and photos of this hike again. As far as your photos are concerned, I especially like the last ones with the blue mountains in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, some amazing scenery and photos. How interesting you managed to find 2 Chilean Mills in one trek. What are the odds of that I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I assume all those mines were for gold mining. Yes people don't stand for anything if there is profit to be made . The pictures the desert produces are now the gold it produces .

    ReplyDelete
  17. "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." And you know how :) I'm grateful you were up for the challenge so we could see the photos. Fascinating! Those stone structures were interesting. You find great finds on your hikes. And the views! I've read and seen some information on the Salton Sea. I still google it every once in a while to see what the latest news there is.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a wonderful place to walk around and to explore! Your photos are beautiful . The mountains in the distance are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The chain... hmmm, maybe a piece of clothing?
    I see a head there with hair "flying" to the back and the chain could symbolize some jacket.
    Or someone wanted to find it back some time and it´s but a chain.
    Your spaghetti legs sure moved you to a great lookout! Those colors...!
    Not impossible if you can hide nearby till last sec? Ha, I can talk from my safe chair in front of my PC!
    Thank you for another trip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous views from the plateau. I don't think it's wise to make the hike at night. If you want to see the moon rise go up there during the day and wait. BTW that photo of faking a burial plot reminds me of a friend from my 20's. She took me to her hometown to meet family and then to the cemetary to show her plot in her family's section. She insisted she had to lay down to see if she fit. She did.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! You made the hike in fine condition. Even more, thanks for the photos. They are astounding. I have been to that area and I love it. Your photos boring back my memories of hiking in that area, though you have shown things I did not see. Thanks so much for the posting. Love visiting your blog - so very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. In my youth, we called San Gorgonio Old Grayback

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you made the hike without too much trouble. I know, that's easy for me to say but I think you did a great job! Your photos are amazing! Funny picture of Mitch & the Chilean Mill #2.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on completing a tough climb. Your curiosity and respect for nature and the past is impressive and you even garnered a few laughs in this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh that sky up there is so beautiful. And I am so very glad you took the longer road and found those Chilean mills and the cabin remains and caves. I am trying rather unsuccessfully to imagine what daily life must have been like for those guys. ... such hard work.
    ... And speaking of that, your hike! Ordinary hikers probably would have been for real lying in front of that "headstone" . Congratulations on making it. However, I have but one word to add after your last "Impossible?" about a night hike..... Doooon't!! (but I am an elderly person and a wuss. Your mileage obviously varies ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. If I had gone on this hike by myself, I wouldn't have known about anything I saw. I love this old history and discovered mysteries. Those beautiful pictures at the end taken on the plateau were like whipped cream on a sundae. But, I also hope you don't decide to take that impossible picture hike.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing place, Stunning photography

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great hike! Glad you were able to find the mills, mines, and some structures! The elevation was worth it, especially with the view up top!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Excellent hike, glad your legs made it. :) Beautiful scenery and photos as always, have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gentlemen, you are the most adventurous people I know. : )

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really enjoyed this post. What an adventure! I would probably never get past the stone ruins, they would fascinate me. Like that Chilean mill too, pretty ingenious. My oldest son does a lot of hiking, I will have to share this post with him.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful photos. Stunning :-D

    ReplyDelete
  34. You and your friend certainly out did yourselves this time a 7-8 mile hike. You two saw two Chilean mills, stone ruins, and caves etc. I loved your sense of humor on the ground in front of a that "headstone." LOL! Thanks for taking me along on your adventure again. Your photographs are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Peter,

    Glad you went for this arduous yet worthwhile trek.

    The stacks of boulders look like those healing pebbles people stack one above the other, but who knows! This sure must have been such a fun adventure, especially finding the old relics.

    I was waiting for you to post last week, then Friday came and went and did not get around to visiting.

    Have a wonderful new week. Look forward to your new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Peter, An absolutely wonderful post. Over my last decade in the blogosphere, I consider myself lucky to have found S P & P and your amazing desert photography. I admire the way you take on these adventurous treks and especially appreciate your respect for the history of the area. I can visualize the moon shot … that would be an Ansel Adams type of project. Looking forward … I am wondering if you are going to be out looking for desert blooms this spring. With the unusually large amounts of rain the Pacific Southwest has had over the winter, I’m expecting an amazing scene out there somewhere in the desert. Thank you for your kind words on my blog and forgive me for my long comments. 😊 John

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your cardio was worth it! What a scene at the end. It looks like you had fun, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful pictures, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Seiously, you have found some amazing old remains like that, I thing I came across an old mine in Devonn years ago but never had a cmaera to record any of it. Love what you found

    ReplyDelete