Thursday, April 6, 2023

Geology Tour Road Sunset & Moonrise

 Ha ha ha. You're joking, right? That was my reaction to Mitch's suggestion that we hike up to the top of Pushawalla Plateau in Joshua Tree National Park in the wee hours of the night. In the dark. About 7.5 miles round trip and 1600' elevation gain. In the dark. Why?? And how do we do it without killing ourselves?
 
It made sense in a strange, twisted sort of way. We would meet near where we want to start our hike on a night with a full moon. Take a short nap in our cars, set our phone alarms for around 2AM. And start our hike up to the top of the Plateau in total darkness, just relying on our headlamps and GPS for navigation. Our goal being to reach the top of the Plateau by about 5:30AM (before sunrise and moonset) to get set up for some (hopefully) beautiful and dramatic photos.
 
We had hiked up to Pushawalla Plateau recently, so all the challenges and sore joints were still fresh in my mind. Only some of the hike followed a trail, and we wouldn't be able to see any of our usual landmarks when hiking at night, so navigation would be an issue. In addition to the extra challenges of a night hike, we would be carrying heavy tripods and telephoto lenses. I didn't hold out much hope of a successful outcome. I barely made it last time with a lot less weight and when I could see!
Late afternoon view of Malapai Hill.
 
 
The good news is that the pre-hike desert sky didn't disappoint.
 
I came across this odd contraption while out taking pictures. Whatever it is, it appears to be solar powered. I think it's some kind of GPS/earthquake monitoring device. Or perhaps an alien relay station??

Finally we were able to see the moonrise. It was too hazy and cloudy to see it lower on the horizon. 
 
What a beautiful moon! With a lot of luck, we will get some photos of it tomorrow morning as it sets on the opposite horizon.
 
Cotton candy sky.
 
Final photo before going to "bed" (a short nap in the car). Double-check the 2AM alarm is set, and hope for some sleep!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Riiiiiiiing say my phone alarm. Add sleep deprivation, stiff joints, and sore back from trying to sleep in a car to the long list of challenges for this crazy hike! I was able to fall asleep pretty quickly, but the winds kicked up a little before midnight and woke me up. I had been awake ever since. We grab our gear and off we go.
Mitch took this photo of me using his phone. I'm guessing it was around 3AM, and it gives you a sense of how bright the desert can be under a full moon. Early in the hike he said "turn off your headlamp." He was right. As long as we stayed out of the shadows, we could see and navigate better by moonlight. What an amazing experience!
 
So did we make it all the way to the top of the Pushawalla Plateau? Tune in next week and I promise to let you know how this crazy attempt at a hike turned out!
 
Linking with Skywatch Friday.
Thanks for stopping by, and see you next week!

45 comments:

  1. You did the hike! (I knew you would) And gave us a cliffhanger today (hopefully not literally). I look forward to the conclusion. The lighting- I can remember, from living in rural Arkansas long ago, just how bright a full moon can be. This gal who grew up in New York City never knew. I could sit outside and read. And, as for the mystery object, there seems to be a warning sticker on it so my guess is it isn't an alien object. But one never knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...cotton candy sky is a prize winner!!! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet the pictures are going to be amazing. Difficult, but perhaps the trials are worth the outcome?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots, especially the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The moon has such a magical glow. I am so looking forward now to next week's post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful landscapes and I really your collection of skies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you guys are brave! The moon looks so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous shots all. I especially like the moon shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All shots are beautiful, the moon shot is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Night hike in the desert is something I cannot imagine doing myself. Beautiful sky and cloud formations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heartbreakingly beautiful photo of the moon on the cutting edge! But you certainly earned it. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest Peter,
    WOW—quite a challenge.
    Cotton candy sky is a perfect phrase.
    Full moon can provide amazing light on such a clear night.
    Anxious to read the sequel of this adventure...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  13. It´s always nice to visit you. You deliver the goods.

    ReplyDelete
  14. R2D2's ugly cousin perhaps? Just when I think you've posted the best pictures ever, you blow me away with new ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What a moonlight expedition. I feel excited watching and reading the blog. I too like such expeditions but scared of snakes at night especially vipers. If the moon wasn't that bright, milky-way capture could be exciting as well! Looking forward to read next episode

    ReplyDelete
  16. Deeply touching hike with an awesome atmosphere and sky colors, and I love the solitude...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very lovely pictures
    wonderful pictures of the sky
    Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photos. The moonrise is fantastic, and the cotton candy sky! I like the desert plants too.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great sky photos from the desert. 3am in the desert is really bright.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful sunset and I love the moon photos. Have a happy Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Las fotografías son magníficas. Yo tengo trípode y todas las fotografías las hago a pulso. Con la cámara ya llevo suficiente peso y el trípode es un peso añadido, que molesta para andar.
    Que termines de pasar muy bien lo que queda de la Pascua de Semana Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great hike. Love the foto's again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's something I would enjoy! The late day landscape and sky are beautiful! A full moon gives off a lot of light if you can get away from the cities and suburbs. Looking forward to the next part!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was another very adventurous hike. In addition to a nice story, it has also yielded you some beautiful photos again.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing photos. Loving the skies and moon shots :-D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow photos ~ not sure it was worth what you put your self through ~ Adventure Man ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely sunset photo. Can't wait to see how your adventure turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great experience, aches and pains and all. I can't wait to see the photos next week. A full moon over the desert does light things up very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks like an alien device me !!! haha. Love the photos of the sky - very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful pictures. I can only hope it turned out better than when I hiked up Pen y Fan, the highest mountain in S Wales, on a night of a full moon. Cloud completely shrouded the moon and, though we made it to the top, heavy rain usurped the place of the sunrise!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fair play you going out to do that, it's serious. I have a sturdy tripod a Silk Pro 400Dx which I purchased years ago fro a bargan. I've used it on building sites and around churches and it is heavy enough fro my DSLM and lens and light itnogh to cart places with little effor even at my age. I look forward to seeing the next part now I'm out of hospital

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks like a safe to me. Perhaps it holds Alien files? Using my imagination here. LOL! Cotton Candy Sky sounds very poetic. Aches and Pains will be worth it, right? You left us with a cliff hanger? I am never disappointed viewing your blog with all these adventures you share with us. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, truly intrepid, sleeping in cars, hiking the rattlesnake infested desert at night, wow. I'm amazed. Your photos, as always, are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh wow! Amazing pictures and narration.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Stunning photos. I especially like the moon photo and the cotton candy sky photo.
    Looking forward to the photos from next week.
    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Interesting how bright the light was. I don’t think I could do that. I need my sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Big WOW on this, looking forward to the next step! I never expected it being so light!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh so much fun! I enjoy reading these types of adventures! I too captured a photo of the "Full Pink Moon" the night of the 5th but it was from the deck of a caboose I was staying in.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful!
    My favorite is the 'cotton candy sky' photo.
    Happy Easter!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a cool idea! I'm glad you jumped in. I am impressed by the photos y'all got.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Truly Amazing, Great captured.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  42. That right there is dedication. I don't think I would have the drive or desire for a hike like that.

    ReplyDelete