Thursday, June 22, 2023

A Partial Win

 We have two large undeveloped parcels of land in our city that we've been fighting over for years now (parcels are adjacent to each other and are old oil property). The smaller of the two, which is the east parcel, has been set aside as open space and is now partially open for hiking (yeah!!). That's where I'll be taking you today, and it's a significant win for open space advocates. The larger parcel to the west is still slated to be developed, which will be a very sad loss if it goes through. Of the two, the west parcel is the most "wild" and has the best views.
This is a photo of the placard you see at the beginning of the hike. Not sure why they are calling this "West" Coyote Hills. The larger open parcel is to the west, so I'm refering to this one as the east parcel. 
 
For the most part, you hike dirt roads. I prefer trails. I picked a good day for a hike. Cloudy skies and cool temperatures with the clouds giving way to blue sky from time to time. And the highlight was all the plants in bloom! Well, one of the highlights. Read on!
 
Another highlight... coming across this shallow grinding hole (with a rock in it, which I'm pretty sure someone just placed here) and the larger grinding slick on the right. I find these out in the desert all the time, but never in my home town!
 

Red and yellow blooms under a pretty sky!




Lots of mustard in bloom.
  
A tribute to the early Basque shepherds that worked these hills many years ago!

Pass the Mustard, please!

Nearly everything is in bloom!
 
Belladonna, aka deadly nightshade.
 
The bees were drunk with pollen!
 
OK, this really was the hike highlight for me. I expect to come across snakes in the desert, but NEVER in my hometown! In all my years here, I think I've only come across one other snake, and it looked like it had been recently run over by a mountain biker, so this is my one and only healthy snake sighting. A beautiful 3' gopher snake. Sitting right in the middle of the trail. So glad I didn't step on him! I made sure he made his way off the trail and into the brush, then I continued on my way.

Thanks for dropping by and for your comments!
 
I'll keep you posted regarding the fate of the second parcel of land (fingers crossed!).
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

34 comments:

  1. ...this looks might nice for an old oil fired! The flowers are a highlight, but I can do without the snake. Thanks for taking me along to see the sights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the yellow flower on a cactus is gorgeous - I like all flowers but there is something special about cactus flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having the one parcel is marvelous. You found some great blooms there and that is a beautiful snake. That grinding stone is an oustanding find as well.
    It would be great if the other parcel could be added. Don't give up hope. I thought we had lost a big chunk of our Turkey Mountain Urban Wilderness to an outlet mall but he community came together to discourage it. The mall found somewhere else to build in town much more suitable, and some of the corporate citizens put up the cash to pay the private landowners on the mountain what the developers were going to pay. So win/win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for caring about the snake and for sharing all these glories with us. I really enjoyed your posts very much. Wishing you well

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always good to hear about open spaces being preserved for the public and good to see gorgeous flowers along the trail. Wishing you luck with the western portion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a brief moment I thought I would like to hike there... Then I saw the reptile, moved to the next pic as fast as I could... and changed my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know that basques came in that part of the states. Did they settle here ? And have you seen the western "Thunder in the sun" by Russel Rouse ? i remember there is a caravan of Basque settlers, whose screams frighten the Indians. I love the picture of the bee covered with pollen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice flowers and views! I'm happy that this property has been saved from development.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a post ~ tribute to the Basque shepherd and his dog and fantastic flowers coming up in the desert ~ Stunning ~ nature is divine. Great photos!

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The scenery is gorgeous. The father and son sculptures are fantastic. The snake is definitely a wake up call

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to you and your town for keeping the parcel free from development. Our little town of 650 people is being developed left and right, up and down the mountains. Guess it's good for the locals, but ... Nice pictures of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully
    I liked the picture the way
    I quickly scrolled past the snake

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful area to walk, let's hope it stays that way

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed this post so much! How lucky you are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful as always an that snake and those flowers are really nice but the icing of the cake is your heading. What a beauty. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bello camino de flores. Si me hubiera encontrado con la serpiente, me hubiera llevado un buen susto. Solamente las he visto en los zoológicos y allí se está debidamente protegida.

    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful captures of the flowers and the snake!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are an adventurer, even if it is for the day and close to home. You observe and report on nature so well too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too bad about the west parcel, I guess the views made it worth more for development for those wealthy enough to pay for a view! I love the tribute to the shepherds! When I lived in CA there were Basque shepherds and their Border collies who tended the herbs of rented goats in the regional parks. One park had a meet and greet the shepherds and the dogs. The snake was probably warming itself on the path. I've seen them do that on paved surfaces.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm keep my fingers crossed about the west parcel. Enjoyed all the East Parcel blooms and even (because I didn't see it in person) the gopher snake. What a beautiful pattern on its skin.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brother Parts , Your Tropical Vacations Totally Rocks - I Was Also In That Bunker Years Ago - Incredible Photos Here Once Again - Lovely Reptile Doing Its Thang - But The Blooms Are So Flipping Vivid - Way Cool

    Stay Rowdy There Hiker Man ,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's so good it's been kept for hiking, nature trails are the best and the world needs more of them. Lots to see there too and lots of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thought of you this morning when I saw this. 😊
    https://www.facebook.com/your.face.is.the.worst/photos/a.163144910973901/1285362835418764/

    ReplyDelete
  24. More great stuff! And some good news to boot. I think of you every time I hear of land getting protected (as in SE Nevada and West Texas). Now if it weren't just too damned hot to head for one of Texas's state parks . . . (heat index should hit 113 today or tomorrow; I do SO miss heat without monstrous humidity!)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The wildflowers are beautiful. This looks like a great place for a hike, especially in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous flowers! The snake would have startled me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The flowers and views are absolutely stunning! Glad that this property has been spared from development. By the way, the snake is quite striking in appearance, but it also appears to be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  28. When I read much about hiking areas closing for whatever reason up north here, it is nice to read your story about a new parcel of land opening up for hiking. Your photos depict a beautiful trail!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is good to hear that this beautiful space is being preserved, but very alarmed about the possible fate of the other.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful flowers and wonderful tribute.
    Wow, I never saw mustard in bloom!
    Cute bee. And a pretty big snake.
    Beautiful last pic!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful und exotic flowers. I like the sculptures from dog and the man ;-) Oh a Snake ... in Finland I see snakes here in Germany not,
    greetings
    Kirsi

    ReplyDelete
  32. Majestic blooms! And slithery snakes. I love seeing them, too. We had good sghtings on the bike trail this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful blooming area! Good to hear that it is being preserved.

    ReplyDelete