Thursday, July 13, 2023

Bird Skull Rock and Milky Way

 Have you ever tried to take pictures of the Milky Way? I lost interest in Milky Way photography a number of years ago. It always seemed like a lot of work for not much return. It requires you to pack a lot of gear (camera, tripod, lights, and sometimes a sleeping bag, tent, ground pad, etc., etc.). Lots of water because the Milky Way is best seen in the hot summer months. You end up with a really heavy pack. And it requires a lot of careful planning: A new moon night so the light from the moon doesn't mess up Milky Way visibility, position of the Milky Way and galactic center, and most importantly, picking an interesting foreground (a photo of the MW in the sky without an interesting foreground is pretty boring!). Your view of said foreground must be to the south (location of the MW). You can use an app like PhotoPills to see where the MW will be in relation to your foreground on your planned date. Sometimes you get lucky and the optimal position of the MW/galactic center is around 11PM or so. But other nights, the optimal time to photograph the MW might be 3:30 or 4AM. Since I like to get to my shooting location late in the day to get set up, and photograph my foreground after sunset, it makes for a long night! So after all this careful planning and hiking out to what you have selected as your perfect foreground with a really heavy pack, you should be good to go, right? Nope, not necessarily. Winds can kick up and ruin things, skies get hazy, or the MW photographers worst enemy, clouds fill the sky and you can't even see the MW. Talk about frustrating! Your very best case scenario is none of this happens and you get a wonderful photo of the MW and foreground. Maybe one or two good, usable photos. See what I mean about a low return on investment?
 
So why my renewed interest in MW photography? Blame it on the Big Eyes rock formation that I came across recently. I took one look at it, with it's perfect view to the south, and immediately thought it would make an ideal MW foreground.
 
I decided back in April that I wanted to do a practice run at MW photography before heading out to Big Eyes. I knew of another rock formation (Bird Skull Rock) that might make a good foreground, and the best view is SE (good for viewing the MW in April). The optimal time would be about 2:30AM, so my plan was to hike out while still light, get some photos of my foreground just after sunset, and then try to get a few hours sleep before shooting the MW. Unfortunately, that would mean packing a sleeping bag and pad along with all my other gear, so a very heavy pack!
Elephant??
It was a little over a one mile hike out to Bird Skull Rock. Not too far, but with a super-heavy pack on a hot afternoon, far enough! I passed by a couple interesting rock formations on the hike out.

Interesting "two story" lower level shelter (left) and upper level alcove. 
 
Ah, there it is! Bird Skull Rock is what I want to use as my foregound. My plan is to take a photo after sunset while there is still enough light to see the rocks, and focus the camera on the rocks. I've also packed two LED lights to help light up the rocks. Then, without moving my camera from the tripod, I'll come back some hours later, change my camera focus and other settings for the MW night sky. If successful, I'll combine the two images and everything should be in focus and have a reasonably good exposure.
 
 
View from inside the rock formation. Bonus points if you can spot my tripod!
 
My sleeping pad is orange. That's where I'll be sleeping tonight.
 
Here I am, camera and tripod are set up, and waiting for the sun to go down. I splurged and bought an ultra-light backpacking chair. There's a lot of waiting around with MW photography, and it really helps to have a comfortable place to sit!
 
Screenshot of my PhotoPills app. It's showing where the Milky Way will be at 2:23AM. The MW moves across the sky (to the right) as the night progresses, and also goes from horizontal to vertical. The orange circle is the galactic center, which is the brightest part of the MW. It's a great tool to help you plan how to compose your photo and the optimal time to take your photo. I'm hoping to get the MW in a diagonal position to the left of the "eyes", and it looks like 2:30-3:00AM will give me my best outcome.
 
I really love this part of the desert. There are no trails out here, and few visitors. The sense of solitude and quite is wonderful, and spending the night out here enhances the experience even more.
 
Here's the foreground photo I will be using. Just enough light to make out the rocky detail, and (hopefully) sharp focus on the "eyes". If I make it too light, it will look unnatural when I add the dark MW sky. I can always make some minor edits in Photoshop later if needed.

Here's the same photo, but using LCD lights to light up the rock formation. I don't think I like this as much... looks unnatural, but you never know what it will look like when you add the night sky later. Now it's time to set my phone alarm for about 2:30AM and hope I can get a little sleep! 💤
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Beep Beep Beep. 2:30AM and time to get up. I don't think I got much, if any, sleep. Very uncomfortable sleeping on these rocks! But luck was with me and no clouds moved in.
Version #1: Milky Way over a Bird Skull Rock using LCD lights. I'm happy with this one. The lights add drama and pull your eye to the rock formation. The focus is good on both the foreground and the sky. 
 
Version #2: Milky Way over Bird Skull Rock, no LCD lights. The sky is a little lighter. Focus is good (both foreground and Milky Way). I'm happy with this one as well. I'm curious: Do you have a favorite??
 
I finished up around 3:30AM. Since I had no luck earlier trying to fall asleep, I decided to pack up all my geat and stumble back to my car, just using a headlamp for light and my GPS for direction. The surrounding mountains and rock formations that are my usual landmarks are covered in darkness. Hiking off-trail across the open desert on a moonless night is a strange and wild experience!
 
Thanks for stopping by, and I appreciate your comments!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

47 comments:

  1. Beyond words! Your Milky Way shots are fantastic ~ Wow!

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a very brave man for sure. i got the heebie jeebies just reading about all you did. snakes, spiders, more snakes, 2 legged snakes, getting lost, falling and breaking a leg and no one could find me. that kind of creepy. that said. both of these are beautiful and I lean just a tad towards the one with the lcd lights but it would be hard to choos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Absolutely amazing. Love all the rock formations. But the MW is fabulous. No favorite. They are both great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh master, I bow!!! this is an excellent post (both text - explanation of the process and images). I prefer the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressed with your dedication to the project and what a success! I like the one you used as a header. The results would make National Geographic proud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like them both. That is a lot of work for one image, but if you get a good image...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Floored - What A Fabulous Series Of Photos - Brilliant Story Telling As Well - Rock On Brother Parts

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totaly Awesome. I have wanted to try this I need to have another go. What settings did you use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It takes some experimentation, and depends upon the lens and to a certain extent the camera used. I was using 16mm, ISO 10,000, 10 seconds at 2.8.

      Delete
  9. What detailed planning! You really put it all together to produce a stunning image. Love the various rock formations and expansive landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There you go, sleeping with the sidewinders to get a photo. I think both photos are fabulous, the second one might be my favorite by a slight bit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Desert in the eerie night is fantastic for Milkyway photography. You captured the beauty of it authentically. I always loved the outback night sky in landscape

    ReplyDelete
  12. That took some planning!! Stamina, courage... I am so impressed!! :)
    Version #1 is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work, I prefer the first version btw.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You were brave sleeping out in the desert. Nowadays an unusual experience to many people. I would be afraid of animals. On the other hand, here people sleep out in forests, in tents or other open shelters, with sleeping bags.
    Your shots are beautiful: the last but one is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of them looks like Jabba the Hut! Careful with the heat, Peter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, and I am careful. That name (Jabba the Hut) is already taken by a very cool rock formation in this general area of the park!

      Delete
  16. Wow what a header and thinking before taking the photo but the result is indeed smashing. Also al those nature made statues are great. Very good work again from the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another impressive adventure with good results. I have tried a few star photos but no MW shots due to sight lines available to me. I think I prefer your illuminated shot because I would know what you were doing. The other photo doesn’t look dark enough to me. If not illuminated, I would expect the foreground to be closer to a silhouette, but I understand that the skull was a key component, and you wanted it to be seen. Bravo to you for both the effort and result!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The combination of careful planning and adventurous spirit has resulted in exceptional images. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love today's rock formations and the milky way is outstanding. Thanks for all the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I admire that kind of dedication to get the perfect picture. I think I prefer the more natural rendition without the LED lights, but there's nothing wrong with either version, just a matter of taste.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks like you could camp in it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the rocks and the Milky Way, amazing shots!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful photos, Great captured

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow - wonderful pics - All the best
    Violetta - and thanks for stopping by at my blog

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Amazing work. I prefer the one with the LED light.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I prefer version 2. You remind me of Ansel Adams going to all that trouble to get a shot. I let the experts, do that sort of thing, people like you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm glad you went to the uncomfortable trouble! I like #1 much more.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What amazing rock formations. I immediately thought that one look like a birds skull and I was right when you mentioned that is what it is called. Yours shots were awesome. I think my favorite would be the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG!!! What an amazing series of stunning places! All are simply breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great setting and what beautiful shots of the skull and the Milky Way.
    In clear blue skies we can see the Milky Way only as a very faint spotty stripe.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, that is a lot of work and patience, too.
    But a great outcome, really - my fav is #1.

    ReplyDelete
  32. My favourite is Version #1. I like how you turn thoughts into reality! Your photos are fabulous! I have not tried to photograph the Milky Way but I have had opportunities to witness it. My best experience seeing the Milky Way was back in May of 2011 when a friend and I drove that Island in the Sky road around 4:30am on our way to see the sun rise over Mesa Arch!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think I like the one with the darker sky and the lit rock. I'm glad you explained how to do this. I've always wondered how difficult it would be and wow, it turns out to be quite a chore. These are both great photos and to me, well worth all the trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Both are stunning and I am in awe. I'll certainly never take an excellent picture of the night sky for granted! Talent, planning, and wow a lot of hard work (and hard sleeping, yikes!) Thank you for sharing the results -- and for what it's worth, I kind of prefer the second version as it seems more natural -- like what you would have seen. And the skull rock still provides the needed contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I can't believe after all the negatives that you resumed your night sky adventures. The last one is my favorite. This is a very interesting post, to see and learn the steps involved in night sky photography. The sky map app is cool, and so are your photos! It was worth it! I don't have enough eyeballs on my blog to lose sleep over. But I can't wait to see the night sky in Moab next Srping.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Amazing to see all this beauty.

    ReplyDelete