Thursday, July 20, 2023

Milky Way over "Big Eyes" Rock Formation

 Thanks so much for all your comments last week. It's encouraging, and also it provided me with some excellent feedback: The majority liked the darker Milky Way with the LED-lit rocks (top photo, below).
The above outing (during the April new moon on 4/20/23) provided me with some badly needed practice at Milky Way photography. After this solo outing was completed, I talked my friend Mitch into joining me for the May new moon (5/21). Our goal was to photograph the Milky Way over the "Big Eyes" rock formation I had come across on a recent hike. It looked like optimal Milky Way position would be about 11PM, but we decided to "go heavy" with sleeping bags, tents, and all the other gear needed in case we needed to spend the night. It would turn out to be a good decision.
  
Big Eyes is such an interesting and unusual-looking rock formation, and I was really looking forward to trying to get a good Milky Way photo with this as the foreground! We trudged out to the location with our heavy backpacks, getting there about 45 minutes before sunset. We set up our tripods, used the PhotoPills app to determine the position of the MW so we could compose our photos, and set up our tents.
 
This is the view looking out from inside the right "eye" of "Big Eyes." That's Mitch on the right, probably consulting his PhotoPills app, and you might be able to spot my tent (behind him and toward the center). 
 
I'm adjusting lights so we can get a "glowing eyes" shot later. Note the clear skies.
 
So there's nothing much to do now but wait for the Milky Way to be in optimal position. With Milky Way photography, there's a lot of waiting around. We decide to try for a couple hours sleep while waiting, and set our phone alarms for about 11PM. 
Nice view from inside my tent. Good night!
  
Beep... beep... beep... Time to get up, which is fine with me because I couldn't fall asleep. Mitch and I immediately notice that clouds have moved in. Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!😟
Not only have the clouds moved in, but they are perfectly obscuring the Milky Way. Instead of a nice MW sky shot, I now have "Clouds blocking the Milky Way" sky shot!! Very ominous looking, but not what I'm after.
 
Glowing eyes version of "Clouds blocking the Milky Way."
 
The clouds kind of come and go, and there are a couple times when we think we may get a good clear shot, but then the clouds move in again and snatch it away! We discuss the option of calling it a night and hiking back to the car.
The rest of the night is kind of a blur. At some point we decided to go back to our tents and try for sleep, but we agreed to get up every couple hours to see if the clouds had cleared. This photo was taken at 1:32AM.  Partial clearing, and at least you get a small glimpse of the Milky Way!
 
And then, at 3:11AM, we finally had clearing!! Notice how the MW moves across the sky from SE to SW, and from a diagonal position to a nearly vertical position. It means, flip your camera on the tripod to a portrait orientation. We were both so very close to giving up and crawling into our tent for the rest of the night or hiking back to the car. So glad we didn't!
 
My favorite of the night.
 
I think we finally got back to bed about 4AM, tired and elated at the same time. I nearly ran right into this Black Widow (in the process of eating a moth) on my way to my tent. Fortunately my head lamp lit her up just in time, and I was able to go around her. I'm pretty sure she didn't want to share her meal with me!
 
After sleeping a couple hours, we were back up with first light, taking down our tents and stumbling back in the general direction of the car, totally sleep deprived. It's rare that I get to see sunrise and first light out in this part of the desert, so a real treat!



So there you have it. Another night out on the desert, under the stars (and clouds), chasing a sometimes elusive Milky Way! I count this as a successful outing, and so happy the clouds eventually cleared. At some point, I'll share my attempts at June and July Milky Way outings, and hoping to get out in August as well. Stay tuned!
 
Thanks for stopping by!!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

38 comments:

  1. ...another fabulous surreal journey. The view through the right "eye" of "Big Eyes" is a work of art. Thanks for taking me along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are my adventuring photographic hero!
    "tired and elated at the same time"

    I get that. Thanks so much for bringing us along. Some really nice shots here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patience is a virtue, they say, and it paid off for you. Love that first light on the desert, almost as mystical as that great sky shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first 2 photos look like a head of a skeleton on its side - mouth open in a yel.. Great scene against the stars

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to see you managed to get some succesful shots in the end. I have enjoyed to see the Milky Way during our vacations in France years ago. Overhere in the Netherlans we have too mucg light pollution to see the Milky Way. Thanks for sharing these shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. added bonus of doing it with a friend. you really mastered that type of night photography.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad the clouds finally cleared. Spectacular shots! That's what people don't realize - for photographers to get the amazing images they do requires lots of waiting and patience. And sometimes camping out all night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The big eyes is a stunner. I love how you illuminate the foreground with LED lighting. It would have been so spooky in the night out in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of these. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the shot you got after the long wait. It's gorgeous. Those last few shots made me think of that old TV show Twilight Zone. I have a memory of one episode where they were supposed to be on another planet. It looked so much like your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you waited. You really take some amazing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your favorite shot is stunningly beautiful! Must be a treat in person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your photographs more and more - and the idea of doing something similar myself less and less!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love the glowing versions...so scary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I admire your sense of adventure, and envy your ability to do something about it. The pictures are magnificent-- all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know you didn't want the clouds, but I actually like the photos you took with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You put in the time and effort and were well rewarded. You got a brilliant photo, and I quite like the clouds and lit eyes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning as always and to share with us the effort it takes to take such pictures fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think so too... that was a successful outing. : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dynamic Milky Way shots ~ you have the most fascinating journeys and photos ~ Wow!

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mission accomplished and well done. The results are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well best laid plans have setback that you don't expect but you did get some great shots non the less. Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  23. Must have been amazing to see in person!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't seen the Milky Way in about 40 years and not like the way you did. Even without the eventual 3:11am "at last" sighting, I would have called the night a success. In the 3:11 AM photo I thought Big Eyes looked a bit sleep deprived, too, or was that just me? Another great set of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I liked the one with the clouds too! Your captures are always amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow. BIG BIG WOW! What an adventure with a supergreat outcome. Both versions are great and eeeek. A warning would´ve been nice with that spider showing up!
    I once nearly touched a redback, ,so... spiders really are not my friends. (I love Charlotte´s Web, though).

    Great pictures. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!
    Do you sell those? I bet people would love to have them on their walls - my Father sure would.
    He observed the stars often, had celestron telescopes in his dome and in very cold nights dragged my Brother and me out of bed to watch.
    Nothing certainly! Like this.

    Next year we´ll - if we are lucky - see the Australian Outback sky again.
    Sadly with a lot of people as we´ll travel by train.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! Not only are these wonderful pictures, but your dedication is very impressive. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful. For all your wait I do like the clouds shots a tad bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Son sensacionales esas formas rocosas y la Vía Lactea le hace un buen fondo.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your patience paid off!
    The Big Eyes look rather scary. You're the expert in the desert, so you know where is the best and safest place to camp. Looking forward to more of your adventures and stunning photos!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It sounds like you had a lot of fun, even though the clouds tried to ruin your plans. I'm glad that you and Mitch stuck it out and eventually got some excellent shots of the Milky Way.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Once again - great pictures of a great nature. All the best
    Violetta

    ReplyDelete
  33. I remember as a child looking up at the Milky Way in my backyard. Now, though I live in the same city, light pollution means the Milky Way is never visible. I feel this as a tragic loss and enjoy your photos. What is it they say? "The next best thing to being there."

    ReplyDelete
  34. I admire your photos! They are very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dearest Peter,
    Spectacular photos here!
    Also that black widow...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, Incredibly beautiful pictures. Respect!
    Best regards
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your patience well and truly paid off. I love your Milky Way images but the contrast in the final daybreak three is captivating for me.

    ReplyDelete