Thursday, October 5, 2023

UFO Sighting??

 My granddaughter has soccer practice twice a week, and the location is right next to some hiking trails. I usually leave practice for a while to get in a little exercise. On this particular day, I took the trail to the west with a goal of seeing if it would take me down to the dam.
There's a small stream that runs through the property to the dam.
 
Although the main trail doesn't lead to the dam, it's possible to get there. It's impressive to see the dam from this view. Look at all the detritus pushing up against the dam. The little stream must become a flowing river after heavy rain! One of the main trails leads to the top of the dam. You can actually hike/bike across the entire length of the top of the dam, which provides some nice views!
 
Some sections of the trail are wide and fenced off. The only thing I don't like about this (and similar) trails is that you have to share them with bikers. The bikers (some, not all) take these turns at breakneck speeds, and as a hiker, you take the risk of getting hit by someone speeding out of control down the trail. I've had a couple of close calls but so far have managed not to get run over.
 
One of the trails takes you by some old pump jacks, a couple of which are still pumping! These used to be all over Orange County, but you don't see them much anymore. A relic of days gone by.
 
The sun is setting, so time to head back to soccer practice!
 
As I settle into my chair and start watching soccer practice, I hear a parent behind me ask "What's that??" About the same time, the girls on the field all come to a halt and are looking up in the sky. Kind of a surreal and comical moment, and I hear a couple of conjectures such as "UFO" and "alien". I caught a little snippet of the moment on this video (turn up the sound so you can hear the girls).
 
I try to capture it using my iPhone, but I'm a few moments too late. The "head" is already fading, but I recognize it immediately as a SpaceX launch. I've seen photos of previous launches, and they all look similar. The rockets are launched from Vandenberg AirForce Base and are visible all over Southern California. 
"Tail" of the SpaceX launch. What used to be a straight arching line is getting jagged as the wind currents blow it around. Soon it will totally disappear.
A better shot of a SpaceX launch. Photo credit: Associated Press
Thanks for stopping by, and don't forget to look up.
You never know what you might see!!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

43 comments:

  1. I've been yelled at by bikers. They can be as rude and selfish on the road as car drivers :( UFO talk is fun, but I don't favor "aliens" as an explanation for the unknown. I'm open to being proven wrong, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine was walking on the bridge in Clearwater one early morning (her usual route) and was hit by a bicyclist that sent her to the hospital. And it wasn't an electric bike! So yes, we have to be careful about these bicyclists! Have yet to see a SpaceX launch. Looks and sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...goiing to soccer practice was never this exciting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun post! I hate that escaping to nature now means you can get run over by an out of control bicycle. That's a problem that really needs to be addressed. But anyway off of my soapbox and back on to This enjoyable post. Best wishes and Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look like some nice hiking trails. I'm not too wild about the fenced in turns. They can really trap a hiker if you have an overenthusiastic cyclist rocketing through.
    I love that dam. It looks like so old school. Cool that one can traverse it at the top.
    I've yet to see my first Space X launch (or any other kind of launch for that matter.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat to hear the kids' excitement at seeing the launch, which will likely become evermore common by the time they are grown. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The trail looks like abandoned industrial sites. The space X launch looks eerie and creepy. Gorgeous photography though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The space launch creates a great cloud in the sky - fascinating

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to read your post, Amazing photos. SpaceX launch shot stunning. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed watching the space x launch. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm surprised you weren't missed at soccer practice. But nice you can get a nice little hike in. Those bikes can be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some cyclists are exceedingly thoughtless--- they are usually young males who need their own planet. Others are very nice people who try to combine fun with sharing. I may have mentioned before that I can recall seeing the pumps all over the place--- even in people's backyards when we would travel south from the bay area in the very early 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...also because aliens do not exist. You can reassure the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clouds fascinate me so I am always looking up. I have seen some interesting cloud formations that appear alien-like but I have never seen something like a space X launch. That is quite the sight!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shots as always and that dam looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow! You always find the neatest places to photograph even from your grand daughter's soccer practice ~ Great photos and love the video and UFO ~ lol ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love aliens so much I wrote a novel about them. But your UFO turned out to be R.E.A.L. Oh, well. It's still pretty cool to see a launch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an exciting experience and great photos. The dam looks like an interesting place to explore and catch the views. Space x launch, I never would have guessed. Thanks for the video and have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. As always very beautiful pictures. The sunset is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought, hmmm, a rocket of some kind, but I never would have guessed SpaceX launch. Now, if it had been a UFO, that would have resulted in an out of this world blog post - too bad. (Only kidding!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like you had a front row seat to the launch, that is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  23. When I have looked up lately, I have seen a lot of very blank skies. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow - the last Ufo-Photos are so great. I see rockets and SpaceX here in Germany in TV only.
    My favourite photo ist the first from the old pump jacks (a new english word I learned today), the Sky is so georgeous with the colours from the Sunset,
    greetings
    Kirsi

    ReplyDelete
  25. That must be pretty cool seeing that though I don't agree with the way the pollute the atmosphere and space they way they do

    ReplyDelete
  26. The dam is certainly an imposing structure. You're right about how impressive the flow must be at times to create that much debris. I would have been happy just poking around that little stream for awhile.
    We occasionally are treated to a "UFO" show as well, with Cape Canaveral a couple of hours drive to our east.

    Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. being out and about at right time and right place :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. That dam is sure impressive from that point.
    The problems of wild bikers are known here too in the woods.
    Must be great to witness such stage a of a Space X launch.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You get to see all the cool stuff. Wowza! When I took my 6 year old son to a soccer practice, a school bus went by almost all the windows had a bare butt facing us. Can you believe it?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow you got some great shots of the launch.

    ReplyDelete

  31. It must be quite an experience to witness a SpaceX launch unexpectedly! The trails and dam exploration looked like a great adventure too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! What an exciting thing to see!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That was fascinating! And all the more exciting to see unexpectedly. I bet it was hard for the girls to get back into the soccer mode after that. (I haven't listed yet, but I will.)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the photos and the video. We 've ridden a lot of different trails but there's usually only bikers and once in a great while someone riding a horse. Thankfully the horses seem used to the bikes and they don't bother them. I've seen launches from Cape Canaveral, I've lived not far from there since '85.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the pic of the old pump! Sadly the video is not running - but the pics of the launch are great enough.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a lovely sunset and spectacular images of the SpaceX launch!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Spacex sightings are confounding people all over.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What an incredible thing to witness, mankind is amazing, and this hits home our appetite to explore.

    ReplyDelete