Thursday, February 15, 2024

Hidden Lake in Joshua Tree??

 My expectations were low, but I really couldn't think of anywhere else to hike. I had spotted a "hidden" dry lake on Google Earth quite a while ago. To my knowledge, there was nothing special there... no pictographs or petroglyphs, no old mining structures, nothing. However, it's in a secluded location that probably gets few to zero hikers. I couldn't even find a place to park. I had to pull off onto the "shoulder" of Pinto Basin Road and hope not to get stuck in deep sand. I love hiking to remote places like this because you never know what you might find!
Remote and "hidden" dry lake bed.
 
A desert wash full of Smoke Trees... always a treat to see!
 
It had rained a few days ago, and I love how these red barrel cactus turn a deeper shade of red after a rain. I really enjoy hiking when the sky is cloudy, so I was thinking this might turn out to be a fun hike after all.
 
Very early into my hike I came across this rock formation. Can you spot the petroglyph? That just elevated the hike from "mediocre" to "fun"! It's always thrilling to find rock art and this one, although modest, probably hasn't been seen by too many people. And you know what this means, right? It means I will have to check every single nook and cranny I come across for MORE rock art!!
 
In case you weren't able to find the petroglyph.
 
I don't recall ever seeing a symbol like this.
 
The problem with the boulders in this area is they are covered with veins and striations. From a distance, they all look like petroglyphs! After looking closely at this one and finding nothing, I proceeded to the top of the hill just to take a look around.
 
And I was in for a surprise. Someone, a long time ago, prospected this area! There was a rock pile that might have been a mining claim or boundary marker, and a small pit in the ground. It's certainly possible this pit might have been deep at one time, and the Park Service filled it in. Adjacent to this area was a smoothed-out area (rocks removed) with a few pieces of old wood. Perhaps the site of an old cabin?
Beautiful turquoise-covered rocks, and also lots of quartz.
 
The miner that worked this area evidently had a fondness sardines!
 
I've finally made it to the lake bed. This is pretty much what I was expecting, and I was curious to explore the area. It might be nice to make a return trip when the wildflowers are blooming. With this sandy soil, desert lilies, sand verbena, and other sand-loving desert plants might put on an impressive show! I'm going to explore the hills on the far left side of the lake bed. On Google Earth, it looked like there might have been an old road that went up there, which would likely mean mining activity.
 
Looks like I'm not the first person to explore this old lake bed! There are no footprints in the area, so no one has been here in a while, but this old hole-in-cap can goes waaaay back. It was made sometime between 1825 and 1904. I continue my hike up the hill.
 
I make it up to the top of the hill, huffing and puffing. It looks like there might have been an old road leading up here, but can't tell for sure. No signs of mining, and no rusty cans. I'm admiring this cottontop cactus when I pause to take in the horizon, and my jaw drops... Is that water?? It looks like a small lake from here. I can hardly believe it. I've never come across a lake bed in the desert full of water after a rain, so this is amazing! Oh, and by the way, what's the white zig-zag stuff on the ground in the center of the photo?? Let's go check it out.
 
The white stuff turns out to be a very large vein of white quartz. As if planted by a gardner, this red cottontop cactus beautifully stands out against the white quartz! This hike has gone from mediocre to fun to amazing!
 
That's a lot of water for a dry lake😉
 
It's a new experience seeing creosote branches reflected in water!
 
I hike up to the high point to get this beautiful view of the Pinto Basin.
 
I use my telephoto lens to get this view of the serpentine Pinto Basin Road.
 
Nice view of the "dry" lake from the high point. Amazing!
 

I have a little time to kill so I prop my iPhone on a rock and take a selfie. I'm waiting for the full moon to rise (the first of 2024!). Problem is, the longer I wait, the cloudier it gets!! I finally decide not to wait any longer. If I leave now, I should be able to avoid hiking back in the dark.
 
Desert Reflection
 
Amazing how this bunch grass stands out in low light!

Last photo of the hike: Smoke Tree under a pretty sky.
 
Thanks for coming along on this interesting adventure. It's not often you find a hidden lake in the desert!
 
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

43 comments:

  1. Dearest Peter,
    That turned out into a marvelous hike full of surprises and great photos.
    The full moon plan was a bit thwarted but you got plenty.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...water need a huge difference in Joshua Tree. Thanks again for taking me along to see the sights. Take care and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun hike today - lots to see, but water is a surprise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that was indeed an amazing hike and find! Beautiful captures as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We sure got a lot of rain, didn't we? I wonder how long until that dry lake bed is once again dry. That's why you should never think a hike is going to be humdrum. You never know what you're going to find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely amazing hike! Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every picture portrays a story of your exploration. Great photographs and glad you found water! The reflections are just amazing

    ReplyDelete
  8. From humdrum to brilliant and so beautifully photographed and shared for us to also enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best comes to us when we didn't expect it.
    Truly wow! Never seen sduch a red cactus before and the trurquoise, is it real?
    I like all photos, but my abolute favorites are the last both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a treat to find water in the dry lake bed! Love the red cactus and the Smoke Trees too.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every Friday, I am joining an adventure through your lens

    ReplyDelete
  12. Friday the one day I look forward to and my visit to your blog with the amazing photos of the desert, even on a cloudy day the place looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What wonderful surprises you found!!!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow.. that turned into one exciting hike. Wouldn't it be cool to see the lake full and green return to the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun seeing these wonders through your eyes. A lake in the desert is a priceless treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a splendid adventure! I love how you find so many interesting things during your hikes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another one of your amazing adventures, especially hauling your good camera around with you. That petroglyph is an amazing find, as was the lake and the reflections you captured. You are pretty hard core.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous adventure in which to find a lake! How long does an outing like this take? Does anyone know where you are and when you'll be back? I really like the penultimate photo of the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a surprise to find that water out there. It makes for some beautiful photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've enjoyed the story and the images of this great hike, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. awesome, as always. I couldn't help myself but think of you recently when I watched "127 hours" movie. stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. As the hike unfolded from blah hike to awesome in many ways, this teaches us about prejudging. What a great story and hike.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was really an exciting hike. Really neat seeing the water and the red barrel. Cactus and all of it. Thanks so much for taking us for otherwise we would never be able to go. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting bits of history!
    Beautiful scenery. My mother liked cacti; she would have loved to see those!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lot of fun surprises! Amazing photos. Love the reflections and cactus.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good to see the landscape in that area, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue if you didn't walk there and take photos and shown them to all...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think I like the "bunch grass" best.

    ReplyDelete
  28. AWESOME!!! That's like a belated Christmas present for you! It is such a gorgeous found with lots of surprising things and views. One more I've enjoyed looking through your lenses, Peters.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That was an adventure and to find water in the lake too. I loved many of your photos. I've never hiked in a desert.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! Another great adventure for you and for us with your awesome photos ~ A lake found, lots or quartz and beautiful red cacti ~ another Wow! ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I went to the first grade in Phoenix, I love the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Buena caminata, con increibles fotos. Me gusta mucho los paisajes, que he visto en ellas.
    Feliz domingo.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What nice photo's the desert deliver with a good camera and more important a great photographer behind it. I like them very much again and nice that there is water.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looking for a place to hike. Map research.
    From "low expectations" to petroglyph to red cactus to mining site to incredible landscapes to white quartz to the incredible discovery of an actual lake.

    Yep. Sounds like a pretty astounding little walk to me.

    All illustrated with outstanding photographs.

    Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  35. When I look at your photographs I always remember the Thoreau quote: "In wilderness is the preservation of the world." The wide open skies and landscape and natural flora and fauna in the Joshua desert is really amazing! I'm sure that hidden lake is some what full from all the "atmospheric river" rain storms that California has been getting lately. I do hope you can go back to photograph the wildflowers in that area in spring!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, what an incredible hike! You just never know what’s going to turn an ordinary trip into an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Stunning photos. The fact that the sardine tins are still lying about and haven't blown away is a bit spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What an interesting and eventful experience. Thanks for pointing out the glyph. I spent a lot of time looking for it before finding your solution in the next photos.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a great hike! Those are my favorite kind of hikes. Off the beaten path, not knowing what you will see or what you will find. That one was a winner for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  40. These are wonderful -- I was going to say once in a lifetime pictures of the honest-to-goodness Lake in the desert. But with climate change who knows, maybe it will happen more often now? Anyway the pictures, reflections and so on are stunning. BTW I did read something just yesterday about a basin in Death Valley that's now a (temporary) Lake for the first time in memory.

    ReplyDelete