Thursday, October 13, 2022

Echo T Hike

 This is another of my summer hikes where I'm looking to hike at higher (and cooler) elevations, relatively short and flat (3-4 miles or less), and something fun to see. Parking at the Echo T lot in Joshua Tree National Park checked all the boxes. A friend of mine had told me about some historic trash in the area that I had never seen (barbed wire, old bed frame, etc), so I wanted to check that out as well as some pictograph sites (one site that would be new to me, if I could find it). So let's go take a look!
 
First stop: The "Brunette Lady" pictograph site. I've seen her before, but it's been a while, so wanted to stop by and say "hi". I find her to be very mysterious!
 
Near the Brunette Lady is another picto called "The Twins". Almost impossible to see with the naked eye due to years of weathering. I had looked before and couldn't find this picto, so it was fun to see it today (and use dStretch on the photo to really see it)!
 
Joshua Tree seed pods.

This area of the Park is full of Joshua Trees and beautiful rock formations. I'm on my way to find some historical "trash". Shouldn't be too much further.
 
I'm always intrigued by Manzanita bark!
 
Ah, here we go. Right where my friend said it would be! Lots of old rusty barbed wire in the area. This spot must have been used for cattle ranching.
 
LOTS of historic trash in this area. It's really fascinating. Look closely at the photo above and you can see old soot marks on the large rock (upper left). These rocks were likely part of someones fireplace.
 

Another common site: Lots of nails but no wood. Wood was a very valuable commodity in old time Joshua Tree, and had to be shipped significant distances and at considerable cost. Old miner and rancher cabins and outhouses that were abandoned would be taken apart board by board and later repurposed. Much of the wood that was here probably ended up at Bill Keys' ranch!
 


A nice mix of old and "new", including a newer piece of pottery and a Native American pottery sherd. I should mention that ALL items found during this hike were placed back exactly as I found them (no exceptions). 
 
Joshua tree arch
 

I came across this really interesting opening in the top of this boulder formation. Reminds my of a horizontal arch, and the nickname "sunroof arch" comes to mind. It's pretty good size, as you can tell in the photo above where my legs are dangling through.
 
To reach my next destination (a small picto site I've not seen before) requires some bushwhacking. Turns out that's not such a bad thing on a hot summer day in the desert, as it provides some much needed shade!
 
A view rarely seen in the desert!
 
Near where I think the picto might be, I notice this small object on the ground. It doesn't look like it was made by nature, and my guess is a Native American bead. I've never seen anything like it, and I'm torn between taking it so I can share it with someone from the Park Service vs. leaving it. I opt to leave it where I found it, although it's unlikely I can relocate it. 
 
I finally locate the picto I've been searching for. It's an interesting one, and reminds me of a human figure, with two arms and two legs (but no head). I've seen this style before on other pictos in this area, where it looks like there are too many fingers and toes. Makes me wonder if the same person is responsible for all the pictos done in this style.
 
The sun dropping low on the horizon reminds me it's time to start the hike back to my car. It's been a great summer hike, and I've not seen another person all afternoon. I guess there are not too many people crazy enough to hike in the desert in the summer.
 
A final photo of the Joshua Tree seed pods. 
 
Until next time...
Thanks for stopping by!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

32 comments:

  1. ...thanks so much for taking my along from the comfort of my office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another adventure!! It struck me looking at the last picto that when I went to the next photo with the Joshua trees, that it reminded me of the picto that you found. Maybe somebody was drawing images of the trees?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so enjoy these! Thank you so much for generously taking us along

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sun lowering in the sky is so beautiful and I loved this trip in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are amazing photos. Jeez, that bark really is something else huh! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Peter,
    Oh, those Joshua tree pods are huge—but no doubt for a reason to survive a period before sprouting.
    Manzanita bark indeed looks spectacular.
    You found lots of interesting things and very well captured on camera.
    And as usual, you left the area with lots of questions...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your intriguing hike. What awesome finds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading your blog is always a reverie experience for me. This kind of terrain is a challenge to the most people's physical limits. Yet you also identify this historical "trash" in which I consider them as treasures! Manzanita bark is so peculiar to see. I love the unique appearance you find in that desert!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great adventure for you and us in the desert ~ great photos and findings ~ my favorite is the Joshua Tree Arch ~ nature's gem ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, we enjoyed the beautiful pictures and information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, trash left long enough becomes of historical significance. Or something like that... Hey, it's cooling off. Are you planning on some more strenuous hikes now?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joshua tree arch photo looks like you was in a rabbit hole. Nice sunburst you´ve got going on there too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The "Brunette Lady" is just stunning. Who knows her age? ...And yet still charming. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your posts are always so well written and augmented with great images... Well done, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. One picto reminds me of the surrounding trees. It's rather remarkable you didn't take what looked like an ancient bead. I wonder if something nice will come to you because of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great post again. It really puts you in a completely different world and always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Brunette Lady!
    Interesting with the seeds! And that Manzanita bark - so much to learn here!

    I just finished the book "Schindler´s List". That wire sure looks scary now.

    Is it trash or treasure? I´d say the latter.
    Beautiful Joshua tree arch.
    As the Native American bead - tough decision, one can only hope others leave it there to share, too.

    I kinda do see a head, maybe Bob Terwilliger from The Simpsons? ;-)
    Beautiful parting pics. Thank you for the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent series of photos from around the park, that historic junk is the sort of stuff you can find in peoples over grown gardens here

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting finds indeed. I don't think I've ever seen manzanita bark - it is certainly interesting. And thank you for leaving the artifacts exactly where found, even the mystery object. As someone else mentioned, treasure, not junk. At least you have the photo to show someone knowledgeable. As I know you already know, exact location is important to archaeologists in their studies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great photos and interesting information!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely photos! Graceful ballerina pose by the Brunette Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great photos! My favorites are the seed pods and Manzanita bark. The Native American bead looks like my dog's treats only they don't have the hole in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great find. Nice to see the brunette lady and all the historic junks or items. Thanks for the close up of seed pods and Manzanita bark. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The lady and the twin are great finds. Wonder how it feels like to see so many signs of daily life and building, like nails, around here? Enjoy this weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, I love so much walking together with you through a region on our wonderful planet that I surely won't be able to enjoy in my actually life.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I quite like, historic trash that you find on your hiking tours.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello :=)
    Very enjoyable post. The scenery, huge Bolders, strange rock formations Cacti, Josua Trees and the Manzanita bark are all so fascinating, and your finds too.
    My best wishes from Portugal

    ReplyDelete
  29. Finding the pictographs sounds challenging. It's fascinating to see the items left by former inhabitants of the area. I wonder about their life stories... what led them here, why they left...

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm glad you were the one "crazy" enough to do so. Great discoveries .... the pictographs are fun and so easy to see once you point them out ).... the too many digit people are strange , maybe that artist/record-keeper (?) couldn't count! (I always wonder who the individuals were who made them .. was it their job? Or a hobby? Was it like writing letters or a history book? So many questions. The brunette lady seems like it might be from a later time? Beautiful out there -- thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful shots! I love the brunette lady. Thank you for leaving all the pieces where are you found them.

    ReplyDelete