Thursday, October 20, 2022

Slab Rock Pictograph Site

 I ran out of time last week on my post, so this is actually a continuation of that same hike (Echo T hike). When you have to split a hike into two or even three posts, you know it was a good one!
As you can tell from the photo above, the sun is low on the horizon, so my hiking time is limited. I'm searching for a small pictograph site I literally stumbled across years ago, and haven't been back since. I think I remember it being in this area, but memory can do funny things as the years pass.
 
I climb up on some boulders to get a better view of my surroundings. I know I'm getting close. What a beautiful time of day, with the long shadows and golden light. I love all the Joshua Trees in this area... like a little JT forest.
 
This looks familiar. Very close now.
 
Ah, there it is. Just a shallow alcove located on a huge rock slab. From this distance, you can't see anything, so let's take a closer look.
 
Definitely some rock art here. I'm using dStretch to enhance the pictograph colors a little. In this late afternoon light, my eye is drawn first to what looks like black pictographs, which are pretty rare. I can see something that looks like a rectangle with rounded edges and two short, thick lines coming off the upper right corner (lower center/right of the photo). Above that, something that reminds me of the roman numeral III. Normal erosion on the rock surface or actual pictographs?? You decide.
 



There's no shortage of ochre colored pictographs in this little alcove!
 
Just as exciting a find as these pictographs is this beautiful bedrock mortar very near the alcove.
So perhaps this was a seasonal stopping point for a family or small group of Native Americans (since there is only one mortar) where nuts or seeds would be ground up as part of the food preparation process. Another guess might be that this site was used to prepare the ochre dye used to make the pictographs. Notice that the area around the mortar has a faint reddish stain.
 
View from inside the alcove, looking out. Whatever this site was used for, it's a delightful spot with a nice "feel" which makes me want to linger. But it's time to move on.
 
I took this photo on the hike back to the car, but as I posted this, I couldn't remember why. Maybe just for the golden light on the rocks? Then I noticed all the little dark specks in the sky. That was it... a large "swarm" (I'm sure that's not the right word) of turkey vultures were riding the thermals on this particular day. It was quite a sight, but I only had my wide angle lens with me, so you will have to use your imagination a little bit!
 
With the sun setting, I can't resist taking one last photo. Click... put the camera away.

Wait... one more. Click, put the camera away.

Wait... one more. Click, put the camera away.

Wait... one more. Click, put the camera away.

Seriously... the last last photo!
 
Thanks for joining me to check out the Slab Rock pictographs!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.


26 comments:

  1. ...looking out from the alcove is neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, who could ever put their camera away when faced with such beauty?
    Seeing those turkey vultures all together like that must have been amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photography is always superb. Love the sun effect in these landscapes. The stone carvings are also so spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Peter,
    Wish I could have been there for sharing all the excitement!
    That indeed was an enormous bonus you found there towards sunset.
    One would love to transit back in time and SEE what used to be there...
    Thanks for the spectacular LAST photos, oh, I would have had that very same urge... one more, oh and this... and!
    Big hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes you just have to get the sun falling below the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice alcove with pictographs. I love the final series of sunset shots - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing (re)find. In my geocaching hobby, sometimes I can't find the caches that I hide. So I hide another. Then invariably somebody will post that they found two caches and ask which one is the "real one." Both of them I tell them. I love the mystery of the people who left the pictographs.
    Amazing photos you got. I understand the pain of having a wide angle lens when you need something else. On our trip to the gulf coast I often take the wide angle lens to get the big sky photos or they are handy in museums where there is not much room. Found myself seeing a sea turtle surface yesterday so my image will be highly cropped to show it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such amazing pictures. Beautiful capture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I could imagine all those turkey vultures flying away... :) I couldn't turn my back to that beautiful sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those pictographs are really stunning. Art has been in Man's
    heart ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just so long as your memory works well enough to find your way back! Fabulous pictures, and a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those pictographs are way cool. Kinda Native American Graffitties from thousands of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All these pictures are astounding. (Kwarkito)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wait once more. What a beauties again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful area and I find pictographs so interesting. I have been hiking out west several times and come across them, but can't imagine being able to hike and find them whenever I want.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful first pic.
    Oh, make it plural again!
    And shoot, I forgot the skywatch-meme again.

    Great, great shots. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful, Thanks. You said: ....but memory can do funny things as the years pass...
    Man ain't that the truth!
    from the first coast, Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seriously I don't ever want you to take that last picture. I get to see more of your adventures. I can hardly wait. Exciting to scroll and see what is next. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos - your memory served you well. I know that "just one last click" feeling all too well and I'm glad you kept clicking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful series of stunning photos. Thanks for the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous light in your photos and the pictographs are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love those trees against the sunset. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete