Thursday, January 4, 2024

Sheep Hole Dry Lake

 I broke an important rule of hiking. Maybe the most important rule: Once you tell someone where you are going to hike, stick to the plan! If you don't stick to the plan, how can someone find you if you have a problem or injury?
I had my solo hike all planned out with the route on my GPS phone app. My wife had a screenshot of my hike and knew exactly where I would be. However, driving east on Highway 62, I had a jaw-dropping moment: As I drove past the Sheephole Mountains, I saw this incredible carpet of yellow flowers stretching off into the horizon seemingly forever (above photo)! I've driven this way many, many times and never seen anything like it, and figured it must be due to the recent rain in the area.
 
Continuing on, I parked at the Wilderness sign off Highway 62.
 
I crossed the highway and started my planned hike (the one my wife had a copy of), heading south along the back side (east-facing side) of the Coxcomb Mountains. But those darn yellow flowers wouldn't stop nagging at me, and I felt like I was missing a huge opportunity by not going back to the yellow carpet of flowers I'd seen on the drive out. On impulse, I turned and started hiking back to the car with the intention of changing the plan. Cue the dun-dun-duuuun! sound effect. That's mistake #1.
 
By the time I hiked back to the car and drove back to the yellow flowers, I had used up over an hour. I had about 3-4 hours of daylight left. My new plan (known only to me) was to make a quick hike out to the dry lake (the light colored area below the mountains in the photo above). It looks pretty close, right? I estimated about a mile or so (one way) of easy level hiking. Plenty of time. Again with the dun-dun-duuuuun! That was mistake #2.
 
If you remember nothing else from this post, remember this: Distances are deceiving. That's especially true in the desert. Of course, I knew that, but my brain didn't seem to be working on this particular day. Instead of leisurely hiking 2 miles round trip over a couple hours with plenty of time for photography, I ended up hiking 6.8 miles out and back to the dry lake, which took me 4 hours and 10 minutes. What appeared to be a flat, level hike was anything but. Critter burrows were everywhere. For every 10 steps I took, one foot would abruptly drop down into a burrow and throw me off balance, which made the hiking slow and difficult. I crossed multiple washes. There was a surprising amount of elevation loss to the dry lake, which means I would be hiking uphill on the way back to my car.
 
But the good news? Oh, what a wonderful hike! The flowers!! The sunset!!! The absolute solitude made it a hike I won't soon forget. Did I mention the flowers?
 
This caterpillar will develop into a hummingbird moth.
 
Just gorgeous. The yellow clumps of flowers (I believe they are called Cinchweed) reflecting the late afternoon light, with the Sheephole Mountains in the background. I did my best not to step on flowers. I'm sure it added extra miles to my hike as I zigzagged toward the dry lake like a drunken sailor.
 
The desert turned yellow (or perhaps yellow-orange, depending upon the light)! Sharing this one to show how extensive the Cinchweed bloom was on this day. This is looking S/SW, towards Clark's Pass. This entire area was covered!
 
Are we there yet??! It's taking much longer than I thought it would!

Looks like an old tobacco tin (Prince Albert?) next to a Cinchweed plant.
 
Finally!!! I make it to the dry lake. It would be amazing to see this after a heavy rain!
 

The sense of openness, solitude, and absolute quite are incredible!
 
Time to take off the pack, have a snack, drink some water and take a selfie!
 
This is called "parametric properties" in PhotoShop. I call it "having fun on the lake bed!"
 
Hiking is slow in the open desert, where you have to pick your way around cacti and creosote. It was 4:40pm and the sun was setting as I left the lake bed. It was 3.5 miles back to the car and I had about 30 minutes or so of twilight left. After that, it would be dark. It was painfully obvious I would be hiking the last couple miles in the dark. Thankfully I had a fully-charged headlamp in my pack and a GPS route to follow on my phone.
 
I'll finish up this post next week with some beautiful desert skies as seen on my hike back to the car.
Thanks for stopping by and sharing this adventure with me!!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

44 comments:

  1. These yellow flowers are truly a fabulous sight to see. The lakebed is so dry that it looks like on an alien planet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those luscious yellow flowers were like a siren call. Glad all ended well and you were able to take that amazing selfie. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding photographs! I can certainly understand the attraction. (Have succumbed to similar siren songs myself. Too many times.)

    Hopefully, the wife will resume speaking to you before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...thanks for taking me along on this adventure, I hope that there are more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had an excellent adventure! Those photos are glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand why you made the detour. Stunning pictures. But yeah, I'm glad nothing went wrong because no one would have found you if it had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning mountain and sky shots, along with special effects and a caterpillar who picks up all the colors in the landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! You must be a maverick of a sort and enjoy your own company and take risks~ etc.

    You broke all the rules ~ guess you must like flowers ~ eh? ~ Gorgeous photos and glad you did well and made it back safely ~ What an adventure for sure ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The yellow flowers are stunning in that setting! You are brave to leave the trip back for so late in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The beautiful burst of yellow would make me want to change course too. Just remember next time to send a text to your wife. Someone should know where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing adventure on hindsight! Beautifully captured in pictures and words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey you know, you did what you had to do!! Luckily maybe, my hiking haunts are not near as remote as yours, still I change the mission all the time depending on my mood or things I hear or just no reason at all.
    I have been caught in pitch dark a few times because my mis calculating how long something is going to take me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those yellow flowers are amazing. I would've changed my plan too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you made it home! Lol
    Wonderful adventure

    ReplyDelete
  15. In boating, it's called a float plan. In case you don't reach your destination, they have an idea where to search for the missing boat and people.
    Glad you made it back ok. It sure was one heck of an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So relieved that the mishap I was expecting didn't eventuate. I fully understand your change of plans. Challenging terrain and time frame but so exhilerating to witness this vast carpet of Chinchweed, and then desert.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That last photograph looks like "beam me up, Scottie." RED sun glasses? It was worth back tracking to take pictures of those beautiful yellow flowers on the mesa and mountains in the background. Glad you brought the headlight and GPS and that you found your vehicle. Happy New Year! Glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely exquisite pictures! But--- I hope your keeper gave you a severe tongue-lashing for breaking the rules. Less of a problem for you, of course, due to your experience. But ... I'll sit down and be quiet now. Again, super pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was an opportunity to enjoy silence and loneliness.
    But next time remember to send a text home!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow I can understand why you changed your mind but will your wife mind or did she know. Did you phone her to say you changed your route?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohhh yes, that's it... hiking heaven... freedom with nature. Wonderful. I can completely understand it. I would most likely have gone back to the yellow carpet of flowers... Congratulations. The laws want to be broken every now and then... with experience and appropriate caution we should allow ourselves to do so every now and then :-)))
    Thank you very much for the wonderful photos of your great hike.
    A hug from Viola.
    All good wishes for 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  22. La vida es una experiencia y también se aprende de los errores, que seguramente no volverás a cometer.
    Esas flores amarillas, mereció la pena fotografiar.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good to know this adventure turned out for the good, although I am looking forward to seeing what you have to share with us next week as you find your way back in the dark and then get in touch with your wife once you have service. The scenery is spectacular and I can see why you could not resist going for it, it could possibly be a once in a lifetime experience to see it this way.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You had an awesome experience, which you apparently survived. Odd enough I most like he photo with the old tobaccos can. Odd, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome flowers, I understand both rule breaks, stick to the route & distances are deceiving. Can see myself reacting the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We have seen those flowers once or twice after a rain, but they are shortlived. Glad you got to experience them!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That "parametric properties" creation is amazing. BUT to top it all I loved the caterpillar shot. What a catch. Thanks for the trip and you are right, it is good for someone to know where you are or plan to be. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. My first thought....I wonder what your wife had to say! heeheehee! But it sure is fun to take off on a hike that draws you in with yellow flowers and a dry lake. I've been hiking horse trails and I walk like a drunken sailor with the soft spots and holes. LOVE the black and white photos and of course your selfie! Life is good! Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great story and wonderful shots of another surprising hike.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Goodness. It was a good thing you had the GPS and lamp. It could have turned into a scary situation.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I may have changed my plans, too, after seeing those flowers. Grab opportunities because they disappear - we know that, with 20-20 hindsight, because it could have ended differently. At least you were prepared for the dark part of the unintended hike. Anyway, my favorite photo was the B&W selfie with the red glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can feel the temptation. I'm looking forward to hearing how your wife reacted. My husband has not been best pleased lol when I've made similar changes in plans (and my changes didn't alter the timeline as much as yours). Those flowers, though! And the dry lake bed is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I often find my own way and break the plan
    That's when I find the nice and beautiful
    Tomorrow I'm planning a ski trip in the woods
    A beautiful adventure you showed

    ReplyDelete
  34. A sight like that would have been calling out to me too! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dearest Peter,
    Yes, one can see why you got attracted like a magnet to this yellow sea of flower...!
    Glad you still made it back to the car—safely thanks to your headlamp!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  36. WOW!!! The yellow carpet is such a wonderful found and I always love to read your short stories about your desert trips. You're such a fantastic writer and photographer. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous experiences with us, Peter. I'm looking forward to an exciting 2024 full of new adventures with you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Dun-dun-duuuun! OMG, I kept thinking about the movie “127 Hours” with James Franco. Luckily you still have all your arms attached and had a wonderful experience!
    I wish you and everyone you love a happy, healthy and peaceful New Year 🍄🍀!
    All the best from Austria, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/01/rostrosen-weihnachten-2023-tiergarten.html
    PS: I didn't know that there are hummingbird moths in the US. Wikipedia says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummingbird_hawk-moth#/media/File:Distribution_map_Macroglossum_stellatarum.svg
    Can you send ma a link? Perhaps it's a translation-problem... and I'm really interested in these moths.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I say the hike was worth it, but I'm glad you went prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thankful that is all worked out in the end. The flowers and the setting are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Whipping Selfie Shots There Brother Parts

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  41. That is wise. When we traveled Australia, also and especially the Outback... no one knew where we want to go because we didn´t know ourselves and... 1999 mobile phones... and even if, they are no use there.
    "Wonderful" hike. Like Flinders Ranges in Australia.... At one point I was crying from exhaustion. LOL. 8 hours, I was too tired to eat.
    Your post makes me laugh (as you wrote it all went well).
    Beautiful flowers indeed. And cool PhotoShop-pic.

    ReplyDelete
  42. It’s a good thing you didn’t break an ankle in one of those gopher holes. Did you get a cell phone signal out there? There are places here in the mountains where you don’t get a signal.

    I love what you did with that last shot!

    ReplyDelete