Thursday, May 9, 2024

April 2024 Milky Way

 I'm still on my quest to capture a "Milky Way a month". Really just getting started, having only posted March Milky Way Madness so far, and the April Milky Way today. The Milky Way season goes through August or September, so I have a ways to go!
For April, I tried a different approach. I normally have my foreground all carefully planned out. This time, I really couldn't think of anything to use as a foreground, so I decided to throw caution to the wind and just go out in the desert and wander around and see what I might stumble across. You are probably thinking the same thing I was thinking: Not a sound strategy.🤣
 
First stop: Scorpius Arch (see photo above). That's a pretty little Desert Chia in bloom, with the arch in the background. Scorpius Arch is a challenge to use as a foreground in a Milky Way photo. You need to get the arch with open sky behind it, which requires that you get close to the arch and practically on your hands and knees, shooting up. That being said, I've seen some really good MW photos with Scorpius Arch in the foreground, but I decided to pass and continue looking.
Close up of Scorpius Arch, shooting up from a low position (I think I was sitting).
 
Here's a beautiful little arch not far from Scorpius Arch, but unfortunately, the arch opening gets lost in the rocks and wouldn't make a good foreground. It looks much better shooting from the other direction (NE... see photo below), but you need to be shooting south for the Milky Way.
 
Let me introduce you to "Chuck". Chuck is the biggest chuckwalla lizard I've ever seen, and the only one I've ever seen out in this part of Joshua Tree National park. I had to get in close for this photo (my only lens on this day is a wide angle 16-35mm). Chuck surprised me: As I moved in closer, he didn't scurry into his burrow. Instead, he came out towards me! I decided: You don't mess with Chuck!

Which reminds me: As I was starting my hike today, I found a rattlesnake. Actually, he found me. I never would have seen him if he didn't rattle, as he blended in perfectly with his surroundings. So a rattlesnake and a giant lizard on the first part of my hike. Glad I packed the tent this time. It will (hopefully) keep the critters out of my sleeping bag!
Not a candidate, since the view is not to the south.
 
Also not a candidate, since the view is not to the south, but an interesting formation. I forgot to mention all the plants in bloom during this hike. It was really impressive! And look at that cloudy sky. As you may recall, clouds are the enemy of Milky Way photographers! Let's hope they dissipate.
 
About 6:30PM, I came across this rock formation, and figured this might be the best I can do. I'm looking S/SE, so the direction of view is good. It's a huge formation, so there's no way I would be able to light up all the rocks using my headlamp. My plan was to take some late day/underesposed shots that I could blend with Milky Way sky shots. I would leave my camera on the tripod without moving it, which would make the blend easier to do. But you know what they say about best laid plans!
 
7:40PM. This might work for my foreground shot. I have my spare headlamp shining up towards the eye-like alcoves. Pretty cool!
 
Setting up the tent, I found myself getting totally distracted by this beautiful sunset!
 
The sky was so pretty, I couldn't resist taking the camera off the tripod and taking a few photos. The problem was, when I put the camera back on the tripod, the focal length was now a little different that when I took my foreground shots (I didn't realize this until I was back home, trying to blend my Milky Way and foreground images, and scratching my head about why things weren't lining up!!).
 
Now it's time to climb into my tent, set my alarm for 3AM, and try to get some sleep. But as per my usual camping experiences, sleep wouldn't come, and I tossed and turned until finally getting up arount 2:30AM.🥱
 
Here's my Milky Way photo (3:24AM). This might make it easier to understand why there is a need to blend foreground and sky photos. With just this single image, the foregound is a silhouette and overall kind of a boring photo. As mentioned, I forgot to double-ckeck my focal lenth after remounting my camera to the tripod. The focal length for my Milky Way photos were 22mm while my foreground photos were 16mm. That's going to make it really difficult to blend the images!
 
Blending foreground and Milky Way images, here's what I came up with:

Not my best work, but given the circumstances, I'm happy with it and feel lucky to have gotten these photos. After taking my Milky Way photos, I'm feeling exhausted and decide to crawl back into my sleeping bag and wait for first light. I have quite a few more photos to share from this adventure, so stay tuned. I'll be heading out this weekend for May Milky Way photos, so wish me luck!
 
Thanks for stopping by!!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

43 comments:

  1. Wow~ am amazed by your photos ~ Good to meet 'Chuck' but from a distance ~ lol ~ great photo ~ Glad you have a tent ~ hope it. kept the critters out ~ Again ~ always great photos ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information about blending and foregrounds. The Milky Way photos are really stunning even without blending. I don't think it's boring at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, I'm really envious of your photos, What settings did you use? I'm no good with photoshop so no blending for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...the Salvia columbariae, desert chia is a fabulous foreground feature for the first image. You captured the milky way beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the most exciting adventures! Thank you so much! Love your photos and your whole attitude

    ReplyDelete
  6. never seen and known about chuckwalla lizard.... interesting critter.
    beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You are brave sleeping in the desert. I would have run the other way after encountering the rattlesnake. Love the shots with the rock formation and Milky Way. That rock formation looks like a couple of skulls to me. Thanks for staying up to capture that for us. I used to get great Milky Way shots in the back country of Yellowstone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Peter,
    Well, critters aside, this was a remarkable hike which yielded exceptional photos.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chuck looked kinda of angry :-) Great shots of the sunset and milky way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job blending! Love these. Good luck this month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Querido amigo, preciosas fotografías, me encanto la primera esa flores en ese lugar tan rústicos y el cielo donde esta la carpa, con ese cielo no duermo.
    Abrazos y beso

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck!
    The photographs are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you not ever sleep when camping? Or just when you know the alarm will go off in the wee hours? I like the last two shots and don't know how you blend background and foreground photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos always stun me!
    Chuck seems like a character, and meeting a rattlesnake must have been intense!

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Number 2 Milky Way is my pick for a winning shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous shots of the sky and the rock formations. I'm totally enjoying your Milky Way shots so I look forward to seeing even more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful arch and milky way shot

    ReplyDelete
  18. You put so much thought and work into your photos. I have seen some pretty bright starscapes, and I am not sure what to think when the result looks like daylight. It's up to the artist's vision.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting rock formations!
    Wonderful night sky photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very interesting process in getting your photos. I really appreciate the explanations. Love the results!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't think I mentioned this earlier, but your favorite book listed in your profile is one of my favorite books and why I have assumed the moniker of Ed, shortened from Ed Abbey that I used in my earlier days of blogging. In fact, I usually keep several copies of that book because I tend to hand them out and not get all of them back. Another similar style book is Leopold's "Sand County Almanac."

    Back when I boated the Grand Canyon by dory, as Edward Abbey did, I slept outside the entire time sans tent and with the critters. I just made sure to keep my sleeping bag in the stuff sack until I was ready to use it and shake out everything in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Incredible results, despite all your lamenting how bad they are. I love how you documented your search for the perfect spot beforehand.
    I love your big lizard, you can keep your snake.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent shots sir. Glad you avoided the rattlesnake

    ReplyDelete
  24. The results are awesome. So is Chuck, though...😉😄😄

    ReplyDelete
  25. such a meticulous preparation, chapeau. great results.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love those crazy Arches so different than any I have seen. Oh and Chuck too, ;-)
    I appreciate the great shots of the Milky Way, I stare and stare trying to imagine how VAST the Universe is.....
    Good stuff as always. SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I liked the Milky Way photos. You put a lot into them and I'm sure Chuck would approve of them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You´re brave. To photographf at 35mm that horrible beast. I wouldn´t go that close, I would run the other directrion. Nice set of photos as per usual.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sending good luck wishes! These shots look good to me. Good to see Chuck!
    I bet it's pretty quiet out there in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  30. wonderful rock formations, Milky Way photos Amazing, Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  31. Chuck is cute! And "not a candidate" #1 looks like a sleeping face, how cool! Or rather, resting, eye wide open.
    Beautiful sunset indeed and wonderful Milky-Way-shots!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You seemed very calm about the rattle snake. I wonder how close you were? A wonderful collection of April's Milky Way adventure. So many eye catching images but the one that delights me the most is the first one with the Desert Chia in bloom.
    I wonder if the 'Northern Lights' spectacle has reached the desert?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sounds like an adventurous night! Wonderful images as always!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Greetings, Chuck!

    To see the Milky Way is something I miss. Light pollution here is much worse than when I was a child. Back then you could go out in the backyard here in Memphis, look up, and see the Milky Way. Now seeing any stars at all is hard :( Your photos bring back fond memories even though the landscape is worlds apart.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Terrific photography! You continue to provide motivation. Now, if I can just get "out there"!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great stroll and photos! The landscaps looks not very inviting...perfect for big adventures.
    In our small civilized world we haven`t animals to fear. Only the wolves...they're coming back now.
    Curious to look at the next part,
    Have a nice week

    ReplyDelete
  37. The sky is incredible. You got some amazing photos.
    Hey to Chuck.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful Milky Way of the Month photos. That is an awe-inspiring goal and you're in the right place with the right talent to complete it. Be careful out there though -- Chuck doesn't scare me but hearing a rattler would give me pause.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for sharing the Milky Way, I have only seen it once! I was at the very tip top of Palomar Mt. in California at The Historical Lodge up there with my son. He took me around the side of the lodge to show me. I got to view the Northern Lights last week here in TN. Two things I thought I would never see. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete