Thursday, July 25, 2024

Mitch's Milky Way Arch

**Warning: You might want to get yourself a cold drink before reading this post!** 
 
I very nearly cancelled this July Milky Way attempt. It was ridiculously hot. Dangerously hot. But I was on a roll and had taken photos of the Milky Way during the new moon every month this year starting in April, and hated to break my streak. Crazy, right??
 
But it's a dry heat!!🥵
 
4:30PM, my backpack is packed and I'm heading out the door. I've packed:
- Way more water that I think I'll need
- Small cooler with ice and a cooling towel, which can go over my head or around my neck
- Garmin InReach (in case of emergency)
- Camera gear 
-All the other stuff I usually pack
 
It's a heavy pack, but a very short hike (around 3/4 mile to the arch). I'm counting on the fact that I will be higher in elevation and it will be later in the day, so temperatures should be 5-10 degrees cooler. I likely won't have any shade.
 
One last check of the weather, thinking it's probably cooled off this late in the day (4:37PM). 
Nope, still crazy hot. I leave the house wondering if I am doing the right thing. As I head to the car, it feels like I've stepped out of my air conditioned house and into an oven!
 
Quack quack!!
 
I get out to the arch about 7:30PM (1/2 hour before sunset). It's hot, but not dangerously so. The hike out was easy and flat. I leave my pack by the arch and walk abound the area admiring the Joshua trees and photographing the sunset filtering through their weird, twisted branches. I see no other humans out hiking and only a few cars driving through the park. I pretty much have all of Joshua Tree National Park to myself on this hot, summer day!
Can you feel the heat??
 



 
The sunset at been beautiful, and I'm happy with my photos. It's time to head back to the arch for some foreground photos. I'm using an LCD light and headlamp to add some subtle lighting to the arch.
With my foregound photos done, I have nothing to do but wait for the Milky Way to rise to it's optimal position. I use PhotoPills to show me that will be about 1:30AM, so I have a lot of time to kill. It's a beautiful night in the desert under a starry sky, and the temperature is actually pretty comfortable. I'm glad I made the decision to come out tonight and take pictures. By about 10PM I find myself getting tired, so I put a tarp on the ground with a sleeping pad, lay on my back and look for shooting stars, and eventually drift off to sleep. My phone alarm wakes me up at 1AM.
 
July Milky Way, 1:18AM, Mitch's Arch
If your curious about the name, it's just a nickname I use because Mitch was the person who showed me the arch. 
 
Thanks for stopping by and joining me on this very hot hike to capture the July Milky Way!!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

41 comments:

  1. Amazing photos. The lighting in the arch is really cool. I cannot believe 111F is about 44C, jeez that would kill me! Not used to such temperatures over here. We had highs of about 16C today, that's about what 60F! The warmest I have ever seen here is about 86 to 89F!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hide from the heat here in Florida. I don't know how you hike in the desert. Amazing photos - love the Milky Way shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are dedicated and determined. All gorgeous shots. But night IS the time for star gazing and to beat the heat!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you're there for, and it's grand, but those sunset photos are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A splendid series of superb photos! I love those rays of sunlight you've captured and the Milky Way is phenomenal. I admire your drive, not only to head out into the heat, but to stay out past 1:30 AM. I'd already be in REM sleep by then. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...thanks for braving the heat to capture these amazing images. This dry heat stuff is nonsense. Our oven is dry heat and there's no way I'm sticking my heat in it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing photo, and worth the effort. I'm glad you took precautions and packed what you needed to get to and from the arch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Peter,
    Exceptional photos from that hike!
    As for the temperature—I would have been long dead if one could not manage 110°F or even 120°F with HIGH HUMIDITY! In the greenhouse at my Dad's when helping harvest gherkins, English cucumbers or tomatoes it got that hot in summer. We would start at 5:00 AM till 11:00 AM and looking forward to that shower... And we all survived!
    So people often complain but they never consider that there are many jobs that require endurance of extreme heat and humidity...
    And all that not as a hobby or passion but for a living.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing photos. So glad it wasn't too hot to be out that at night. Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Bravo to you crazy man in the heat ~ Wow! Wow ~ photos ~ fantastic ~ hugs ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    clm ~ A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka ( A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spectacular photos! You are brave to risk going out in that heat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful light and colours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dedicated and determined for sure. Thankfully a safe adventure and you have come home with sensational images of both the sunset and Milky Way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those temperatures are insane, but I'm glad you were sensible with how you prepared - and the end result photos are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great capture! That was worth the very early wake-up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That's dedication, going out on such a hot day but the photos are spectacular. I'm glad you made it safely through the night.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Exquisite pictures. But I think you are nutz!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos and interesting rock formations too. Your against the light shots are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful that you still photographed under these harsh conditions . You absolutely cannot tell from the photos and they are beautiful again. Top.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is super hot! Happy you survived it and got those absolutely stunning photos. Of the moon. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love getting to see these photos and I'm glad you took all the precautions to be safe. It feels like an oven here during the day and doesn't really cool off at night. If we have a breeze....I hit the trails! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's about 43°C ...way too hot for me.
    But it has given you beautiful photos again, so it was worth it again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow! awesome pictures and crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous pics, as always! ❤️‍🔥 That's a crazy heat wave, and you were smart to pack a cooling towel.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would say you need your bumps reading going out in that heat but the photos to prove it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing photos under such incredible heat. You went prepared and got what you wanted. Excellent photos and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a nice treat for us! Glad you did it and that the night was much cooler. This may be a silly but are there mosquitoes in the desert?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, impressive! I really can't believe you went out there in July. But, I have to admit, you got some great photos. I love those sunset shots and of course the milky way is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an incredible adventure, despite the scorching heat! Your dedication to capturing the Milky Way every month is truly inspiring. I could almost feel the intense desert heat through your words, but also the magic of the night sky. The images, especially with the sunset filtering through the Joshua trees, are absolutely breathtaking. Thank you for sharing this journey and your beautiful photos. I always look forward to your posts and the unique perspectives you bring. Stay cool and safe on your future outings!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Reminds me of a hike I took in 120 degree heat at Chaco Canyon years ago. Even the jack rabbits were looking for air-conditioning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yeah, crazy. But, you got some stunning pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow that is some serious dedication. But then again those photos are simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, that's hot! It's always a joy to visit and see your wonderful photos! It certainly looks like the heat was worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Outstanding final photograph!

    Worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  35. A turtle stands up and leans its head on a rock...
    Again a great adventure in the heat. Your photos are phantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful photos but I gotta ask: Are you crazy? People die in that kind of heat.

    ReplyDelete